whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35 Hundo is a respectable bid for a crane job. I might call back and come down to 32 if you think it is worthwhile. I am in the midst of bidding a craner myself. Waiting to hear back from my Op who is looking it over tomorrow before I give the bid. I get a much cheaper crane rate but that is going through a local independent who I have developed a relationship with.

Youre crane comp. must have a lot of xtra time, any crane co I know does not look anything over fo free.. If they come out they charge ya and they should, its up to you too figure out if they will fit.

Youre crane comp. must have a lot of xtra time, any crane co I know does not look anything over fo free.. If they come out they charge ya and they should, its up to you too figure out if they will fit.

We live in different worlds. My guy is an independent and owns his own crane. I would tell you my rate but it would only make you sick...

Even when I was working in Alabama doing storm work the local rep for the largest crane co in the state was jumping over himself to come out and look at my jobs... They wanted me out there selling the biggest crane I could for them... They came on their own volition, I would have already pulled tape and told them what I needed. They still wanted to come look it over, bring me a coke, take me to lunch... I would reevaluate your relationship with your crane co... If you think about it you are selling for them in a sense.

Last edited:
We live in different worlds. My guy is an independent and owns his own crane. I would tell you my rate but it would only make you sick...

Even when I was working in Alabama doing storm work the local rep for the largest crane co in the state was jumping over himself to come out and look at my jobs... They wanted me out there selling the biggest crane I could for them... They came on their own volition, I would have already pulled tape and told them what I needed. They still wanted to come look it over, bring me a coke, take me to lunch... I would reevaluate your relationship with your crane co... If you think about it you are selling for them in a sense.

Same here, the OP I usual go with comes out to take a look sometimes no charge. I know the set up dimensions and swing on his crane so I can do a good size up as to whether or not we can use it. He runs a 70 tn Grove. Amazing crane and operator

If a crane op told me he was gonna charge me to come look at something, I would hang up on him. I do free estimates and expect the same from my subcontractors. I usually just do the measuring and whatnot myself but on particularly tricky jobs I have him come out because I have not done a ton of crane removals.

Your maple sounds like you only need the crane for 3-4 hours. It is hard to say though, depends on the crane too. I usually use a 40 ton national. When I bid crane jobs I get my same rate as normal and I don't mark up the crane fees at all. To speed things up for the crane I have been putting a climber in the tree with a saw before he gets set up. Then I send up the rigger to set the chokers and immediately repel to the ground. It goes quick as long as the rigger doesn't get his rope caught or some dumb ####. Make sure you have an army of groundies too.... or a really big LZ one of the two so you can get that crane in and out.

The guy I got coming out today wants to look this job over because we are going to have to pick the tree over the house and he wants to be sure he can reach it. I pulled tape yesterday and we are borderline. As luck would have it, one of my old subs called me this morning and asked me if I had anything going on. He's got a little more reach and told me to give him a call if we can't reach it and he'll swing by and look at it. He's a bad ass little climber too. He has come out to two of my jobs with his BIL, who I sub stumps to, strapped on his gear and taken out two trees. I didn't even ask him to do it and refused the money I have tried to pay him with a smile. I had to give his BIL his share both times.

Just got in from rocking a elm removal. Some days, seems nothing is clicking, most days, are just days, then you have days like today, when everything goes perfect or better............................... love those days! Hate the others. :rock:

Anybody cut the converter off their bucket truck, if so..........better?

Killed a Maple today over a deck and another limb over the house. Bid it right, took twice as long to carefully remove the limb than it did to remove the Maple. Let my groundie get a little bucket time and let him make 2 cuts on very small limbs but found it my best interest to got him back down. No sense taking any chances on that deck, have another removal later this week with no obstacles. Felt good till I got home to another large insurance bill, just paid 2 other ones last week, dammit!

Took down a maple with the top blown out. Blow top was over a primary. I think I could have got it done with no problems but the power guys have a station just up the road so I went up and asked them to de-energize the line and they were more than happy to do it. Half hour later they were on their way and I was glad I showed some restraint.
Phil

been real busy, and now i have a mountain of paperwork on my desk. Bid a small trim job today for $200. Its five limbs, and everything stays. Thought he would say go ahead, but said he had to think about it and talk it over with his wife. Got a small job to remove 3 stumps, and clean up some storm damage. And also a far amount of bambo to cut down. Thinking about just taking my dump trailer and putting everything in it rather then trying to chip bambo.

Had a injector go out on my one truck last week. $400 for just the part. WTF it never ends.

2day...

removed a dead english walnut and planted 2 golden chain trees.... having a problem with one of the crew... he seems bewildered between tasks... generally he is a good worker but consistently fails to realize hes got to be several steps ahead and thinking all the time... i got to stop what i m concentrating on and make sure he is on it... talking to him about it has failed twice now... thinking about booting his ass down the road...

Changed the knives on the chipper last night and while doing so saw a broken weld on the feed wheel rotator pin. Not just a crack either. The r/h pin that the feed wheel assembly pivots on was broken off.

Arranged with my buddy to weld it in the morning. Since the day was shot for tree work I spent the time working on a new gate for the back of the chip truck and getting work and groundies lined up for next week and the end of this one.

Now if the rain holds off............:msp_smile:

been real busy, and now i have a mountain of paperwork on my desk. Bid a small trim job today for $200. Its five limbs, and everything stays. Thought he would say go ahead, but said he had to think about it and talk it over with his wife. Got a small job to remove 3 stumps, and clean up some storm damage. And also a far amount of bambo to cut down. Thinking about just taking my dump trailer and putting everything in it rather then trying to chip bambo.

Had a injector go out on my one truck last week. $400 for just the part. WTF it never ends.

just got done with my mountain of paper work, ugg what time is it I need a beer...

Pruned storm damage from 3 red oaks today. Not a great day from a production standpoint by far. Spoke with a neighbor about doing some chipping, 2 small removals, and 1 prune to finish out my day tomorrow, ok... go for it. Get a call later in the day, no we can't. Looked at one job just pulling over 3 walnuts and 1 tulip, plus one for stump grinding.

Dopey came in today, he worked with my buddy yesterday busting rock... mostly with a sledgehammer. He feels that breaking rock is easier than dragging brush :msp_confused: so I told my buddy he should invest in a small quarry, at least he won't need a crusher :laugh:

Gotta finish up some small stuff at the welders today, then pull everything off again and get ready to start the degreasing part. I also have to get the tires and rims off and over to my buddy's place for blasting and paint. Might actually make some good time on this one if we keep on top of it.

Goin broke again, but enjoying the ride, anyway! Lol.. WTF, I don't even really care anymore!! :laugh:

Back