whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a rather annoying day today. Buddy of mine tells me a week ago that he needs me for a job. Ok. His son and I would both me climbing trees out in the woods while he and his guys are chipping brush and dropping whole trees. I get there today, his son didn't show up for work. I finished all the climbing that had to be done by 1:00 and that was me being a LAZY SOB.

Patriot had me paranoid about my tree last night so I woke up and dugout around it. No pickax needed all done with a shovel it sliced right threw it.

Ha! Nicely done.

I actually have a jackhammer for digging trees in uggg.... we shoot closer to the five times mark.

2day....

shaped an ash... light duty...
found out one of my best clients died... hurts me when that happens... she loved her trees so much... just a sweet old lady...rip..

Although mighty stressful, had an amazing week. I got 10 guys from the crews to pull some overtime to work tomorrow on a big residential, (yeah, I know. We don't do residential). Hope to get home early for my daughters 10th B-day party.
Jeff

Ash I did today;

Some hard ass wood. I can see why that is what they have always made Louisville Sluggers with. I cleared the roofs on both houses, then tip tied the leaders and lowered them butt first in between the houses.

ffa793b38f2740d5888cf7356c8dcb09.jpg

My 260 next to my firewood guy's 026. He got that saw, a 360 and an 028 for $500...

The difference between the 026 and 260 is like night and day side by side... The 026 feels light as a feather in comparison. I miss the old 0 model saws...

I picked up a 261 to check out today, couldn't believe how heavy it was. Love my 026.

Why:

Here's what I don't understand; I went to do a bid that I was 3 days getting to this evening, after I had already done 2 jobs today. I knew it was going to be a crap shoot as to whether or not the job had already been done but was within the time frame that I had told the guys I could be out there. I got there and sure enough the tree was still standing. I rang the bell, no one answered so I went ahead and started writing it up. I won't go into all the particulars but suffice to say that it was a medium tree completely enclosed by a deck that had been built around it and cut out for the tree. The HO walked out and asked "so you will be here tomorrow"? I said no way I could be there til sometime next week. He said that someone. Was already coming out to do it tomorrow. I explained to him who I was and that we had previously talked about me coming out to bid his tree in the next two days. He said no need, he had already hired someone and I told him no problem but would he like a competitive bid as long as I was there. He said sure so I gave him a bid. He said no, no to my number and that he had a bid for $500... I told him that I don't even try to compete with those guys, told him to make sure they were insured and wished him luck. He said that the guy was in need of something and gave him a really good price... I thought to myself that yeah, the guy must need a meth fix and told the guy that any valid service was going to at least cover their insurance deductible with the liability involved with his job...

I would be lying if I said that it didn't piss me off that there is a jack wagon out there so grossly underbidding but I have pretty much gotten used to stuff like that and don't let it bother me. I am covered up with more work than I can get to now anyway and don't have time for the BS.

I just wonder why? What would make someone so grossly underbid a job like that? Other than pure stupidity? I mean, if I were going to work that cheap I would climb for someone else and let them assume the headaches and liability...

why:

Here's what i don't understand; i went to do a bid that i was 3 days getting to this evening, after i had already done 2 jobs today. I knew it was going to be a crap shoot as to whether or not the job had already been done but was within the time frame that i had told the guys i could be out there. I got there and sure enough the tree was still standing. I rang the bell, no one answered so i went ahead and started writing it up. I won't go into all the particulars but suffice to say that it was a medium tree completely enclosed by a deck that had been built around it and cut out for the tree. The ho walked out and asked "so you will be here tomorrow"? I said no way i could be there til sometime next week. He said that someone. Was already coming out to do it tomorrow. I explained to him who i was and that we had previously talked about me coming out to bid his tree in the next two days. He said no need, he had already hired someone and i told him no problem but would he like a competitive bid as long as i was there. He said sure so i gave him a bid. He said no, no to my number and that he had a bid for $500... I told him that i don't even try to compete with those guys, told him to make sure they were insured and wished him luck. He said that the guy was in need of something and gave him a really good price... I thought to myself that yeah, the guy must need a meth fix and told the guy that any valid service was going to at least cover their insurance deductible with the liability involved with his job...

I would be lying if i said that it didn't piss me off that there is a jack wagon out there so grossly underbidding but i have pretty much gotten used to stuff like that and don't let it bother me. I am covered up with more work than i can get to now anyway and don't have time for the bs.

I just wonder why? What would make someone so grossly underbid a job like that? Other than pure stupidity? I mean, if i were going to work that cheap i would climb for someone else and let them assume the headaches and liability...

m

Last edited:
Why? because cheap ass homeowners will still hire them no matter what the risk cause they'll save a buck. They think.

Why:

Here's what I don't understand; I went to do a bid that I was 3 days getting to this evening, after I had already done 2 jobs today. I knew it was going to be a crap shoot as to whether or not the job had already been done but was within the time frame that I had told the guys I could be out there. I got there and sure enough the tree was still standing. I rang the bell, no one answered so I went ahead and started writing it up. I won't go into all the particulars but suffice to say that it was a medium tree completely enclosed by a deck that had been built around it and cut out for the tree. The HO walked out and asked "so you will be here tomorrow"? I said no way I could be there til sometime next week. He said that someone. Was already coming out to do it tomorrow. I explained to him who I was and that we had previously talked about me coming out to bid his tree in the next two days. He said no need, he had already hired someone and I told him no problem but would he like a competitive bid as long as I was there. He said sure so I gave him a bid. He said no, no to my number and that he had a bid for $500... I told him that I don't even try to compete with those guys, told him to make sure they were insured and wished him luck. He said that the guy was in need of something and gave him a really good price... I thought to myself that yeah, the guy must need a meth fix and told the guy that any valid service was going to at least cover their insurance deductible with the liability involved with his job...

I would be lying if I said that it didn't piss me off that there is a jack wagon out there so grossly underbidding but I have pretty much gotten used to stuff like that and don't let it bother me. I am covered up with more work than I can get to now anyway and don't have time for the BS.

I just wonder why? What would make someone so grossly underbid a job like that? Other than pure stupidity? I mean, if I were going to work that cheap I would climb for someone else and let them assume the headaches and liability...
I think that your beating your head against the wall ..... for real man in the grand scheme of things does that tree matter ......NO IT DOESN'T , one door closes and 2 more open just be thankful that you have enough work to realize that #### don't matter , I got a whole week coming of all repeat customers good loyal welll paying customers ...I am a month ahead of where I was this time last year I survived that and you will too ....And we've made it through the bottom or at least were at the bottom it can only get better from here :rock:

Yes, I will definitely survive living without that customer and job. I am just curious as to who is that stupid to give that nod and do the job for that price... No doubt Darwin will remove him from the gene pool.

On a brighter note, the proctologist came in today with the go ahead and added 3 more trees... He said to not worry about an estimate, to just bill him...now that is my type of client. ;)

View attachment 234749View attachment 234750
Like a blast from the past! Had to do some more moving today and couldn't resist putting on my old saddle. That big ole hand saw cracks me up now. The last home made lanyard of that type I ever made. It's fun to check it out now n show my young climber the stuff I climbed with. Otherwise I don't miss that stuff one bit! Lol. How about that old homelite? The first saw I ever bought I paid 90 for it with a case lol. Crazest thing is, I put some fresh gas in it n it freaking started! I was lmao.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pcwovi

I think that your beating your head against the wall ..... for real man in the grand scheme of things does that tree matter ......NO IT DOESN'T , one door closes and 2 more open just be thankful that you have enough work to realize that #### don't matter , I got a whole week coming of all repeat customers good loyal welll paying customers ...I am a month ahead of where I was this time last year I survived that and you will too ....And we've made it through the bottom or at least were at the bottom it can only get better from here :rock:

Yep your right on the money, we have this one co. around here thinks he is so high and mighty about being ISA this that and the other thing, low balls like no tomorrow just to get the jobs, that's fine and stuff, he's out doing what should be a $1500 job for $400-500 bucks. Whatever, I can get a $2000 grand job and be happy, 2-3 of them a week which I have been getting I am happy with. I don't work or climb or run all my equipment for peanuts that's for sure. I know some people are desperate for work....not me. Doing that long enough leads to no where! I have a lot of great loyal and repeat customers who don't even ask for an estimate anymore they just tell me to do it, and bill. Same with my 3 gov't and municipal contracts, they know me good enough to just tell me to go ahead and do it. Anyways I here what your saying, lowballers will just keep smoking their crack and living in shacks with their poulan wild thingy's! ;)

Just ordered axle shafts for my 2500HD. Never done it before but the site had a youtube video that made it look easy :evilgrin:

Why:

A lot of times its pickup truck and wild thing chainsaw guys. They think 500 thats a lot of money and ill do anything for it. they don't even realize what their getting themselves into. i see jobs half done around here all the time when they give up half way through. The tree starts looking smaller to someone who has never done it before and they say for that kinda money ill get her down. then it takes them 3 weeks.

Yep your right on the money, we have this one co. around here thinks he is so high and mighty about being ISA this that and the other thing, low balls like no tomorrow just to get the jobs, that's fine and stuff, he's out doing what should be a $1500 job for $400-500 bucks. Whatever, I can get a $2000 grand job and be happy, 2-3 of them a week which I have been getting I am happy with. I don't work or climb or run all my equipment for peanuts that's for sure. I know some people are desperate for work....not me. Doing that long enough leads to no where! I have a lot of great loyal and repeat customers who don't even ask for an estimate anymore they just tell me to do it, and bill. Same with my 3 gov't and municipal contracts, they know me good enough to just tell me to go ahead and do it. Anyways I here what your saying, lowballers will just keep smoking their crack and living in shacks with their poulan wild thingy's! ;)
eres a guy around here that has signs thatTREES CUT CHEAP and his trucks say the same thing and he payed someone good money to letter his trucks with that and bought signs , I mean its so idiotic to me , I mean he works hard too I see him here and there and anymore almost anywhere I just wonder what value he puts to having the same sore back as everyone else or is it a esteem thing just seems reckless to me to pigeon hole yourself like that I mean how can you ever raise your prices when your known by all your customers as the guy who owns "CHEAP TREES"LOL

eres a guy around here that has signs thatTREES CUT CHEAP and his trucks say the same thing and he payed someone good money to letter his trucks with that and bought signs , I mean its so idiotic to me , I mean he works hard too I see him here and there and anymore almost anywhere I just wonder what value he puts to having the same sore back as everyone else or is it a esteem thing just seems reckless to me to pigeon hole yourself like that I mean how can you ever raise your prices when your known by all your customers as the guy who owns "CHEAP TREES"LOL

So true, and like Matt said above $500 bucks may seem a lot of money to them, but that's all they might see for a week! If you knock off 3-4 $500 jobs in a day fine. But why work so hard for nothing? Tards! That's my rant for the lowballers tonight!:D

View attachment 234749View attachment 234750
Like a blast from the past! Had to do some more moving today and couldn't resist putting on my old saddle. That big ole hand saw cracks me up now. The last home made lanyard of that type I ever made. It's fun to check it out now n show my young climber the stuff I climbed with. Otherwise I don't miss that stuff one bit! Lol. How about that old homelite? The first saw I ever bought I paid 90 for it with a case lol. Crazest thing is, I put some fresh gas in it n it freaking started! I was lmao.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pcwovi

I still have 2 of the dual trigger homelites. Dangerous things they were.

Today I have a hot match up on the T-Ball field , alot of #### talking will hopefully be heard from both teams LOL , I love baseball , then after that game my son has a B day party and I am off to do 4 estimates I have 2.5 between drop off and pick up from the party so the trucks tongue gonna be hanging out cause I am gonna have to have the hammer down :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back