whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a better shot ...

7190299374_45c958d23b_b.jpg

I'm going to go with Chinese Elm on this one. Brittle wood if like the last. I'll get a close up of the leaves on Tuesday.

Doesn't look like a very big tree to me. I'm thinking five hours tops.. with a real climber and crew, that is..

If I was old and retired, I think I'd rather be golfing, but to each their own. Lol.

Pretty sure that's a chinese elm, we trim one every other year. A chinese maple looks more like a jap bloodgood maple. Looks like you have a good tip and some good rigging options. Watch out the ivy can hide unknown hazards. Take stuff small, shouldn't be too bad

Well 'super', you are wrong! That is not a chinese elm! Maybe Siberian, but not Chinese!
Jeff

Would it be OK to post a video here for the pros to give advice? The home owner calls it a Chinese Maple but it looks like a Locust to me. It represents a strong personal challenge to take this one down safely and with no damage.

Getting my Steiner in means taking out a drainpipe but it's broke anyway. Getting the tree out through there will be a challenge also, it's got it all; covered in Ivy, overhanging a structure and rose beds, super tight DZ and no access!

And serious advice would be greatly appreciated. It's rescheduled to Tuesday due to rain.

[video=youtube;OkI37zo-c80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkI37zo-c80[/video]

~ the Aerialist ...

Doug, Why not take out the entire fence and set up a speed-line? BTW, that is not a Ulmus chinesis.
Jeff

It's goin' down is all I know ...

Doug, Why not take out the entire fence and set up a speed-line? BTW, that is not a Ulmus chinesis.
Jeff

It's the neighbor's fence and there's nothing to tie the low end to. I'll be happy if I can get everything to clear the garage. The mighty Steiner will forward the material. I won't be able to use all eight wheels on it though.

Well the ID should be positive when I get a shot of the leaf structure. My old eyes couldn't see that far away. Some sort of Elm though seems to be the consensus. Thanks for the input.

~ the Aerialist ...

After looking around a bit, it sounds like the bark on the trunk would be a good indicator. Too bad it's all covered in vines.

Chinese elms are a big inventory here.
Ulmus parvifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jeff

Note the bark.
Chinese elms don't break-out like Siberians, they are pretty tough.
THAT is not a chinese elm, Period. If it was it would make for good rigging.
Jeff

Last edited:
Smooth as Silk ...

If you run a top handle and are cutting into vines with one hand, that is dumb. Easy to do tho because you think it is just ivy. Your tip will come back at you, just saying.
Jeff

I usually use my Silky for that stuff. There will be no one telling me to "hurry up" for that I am thankful. I am guilty of one handing my tree saw from time to time I'll admit. I suppose if I do no one will see the video with the current censorship policies. We will all be wearing hard hats though.

It's the neighbor's fence and there's nothing to tie the low end to. I'll be happy if I can get everything to clear the garage. The mighty Steiner will forward the material. I won't be able to use all eight wheels on it though.

Well the ID should be positive when I get a shot of the leaf structure. My old eyes couldn't see that far away. Some sort of Elm though seems to be the consensus. Thanks for the input.

~ the Aerialist ...

Doug, where you took out the drain pipe, can't you take out a section from the other side and anchor a speed-line to a hitch on a heavy truck, or even a re-direct?
Jeff

Lol.. I never had either untill we started trimming one for a cust about 6 years ago. He told me it was a chinese elm, his favorite tree in his yard. Never heard of it and I questioned his knowledge on what species it actually was, it was definataly an elm but not like any elm I've ever seen before. Looked it up when I got home and sure enough that's what it was.

Wrong.
Jeff

Ya gotta be there ...

Doug, where you took out the drain pipe, can't you take out a section from the other side and anchor a speed-line to a hitch on a heavy truck, or even a re-direct?
Jeff

It would be crazy to mess with the neighbor's fence. It's a corner set in concrete. His side is a gate that could be pulled off but the property line side is in the way. The front yard slopes to the street with no good angle to a truck. If you were there you'd know instantly that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

It's Mum's Day spent the morning (when I got home) doing yard work and now taking Mum out to dinner :)

Steiner rules ...

That Steiner is pretty nice... Feel free to leave it to me, when you kick the bucket.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice thing is that it will go anywhere, I just got a grinding job (along with four takedowns) that no one else could get their stumper to.

I ground out a small Pear stump for Matt after dragging the the thing through the backyards of the condo it was behind the same day he picked the Cherry off the house for me. He could have picked the whole tree over the roof, but just dragging it out was faster. The jobs were a mile apart and it helped with overhead for bringing the crane out.

I'm going to be buried on it sitting upright so sorry ...

~ the Aerialist ...

Back