whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, she's ####ing here. Now I guess I gotta get to work.

hajepusu.jpg

It works! I am intimidated! Now hopefully you don't blow this one up. Kids today, always blowing up their chippers.

Hmmmm ive done everything to a chipper besides blow one up guess ill go for that next, since all the cool kids are doin it...

Cant really say this one is my fault but was sure perplexing not sure on the hp but it was a john deer out of a 13" morbark drum with maybe 2500 hrs on it thing would burn gallons of oil a day would be full in the morning and it would be shuttin its self down by 2 didnt smoke @ all didnt blow the oil outa nowhere pulled the thing apart expecting to see a cylinder completly oil soaked or scored to hell nuttin... Looked absolutly beautiful... Well she got rebuilt still havent run it for any extended periods. Hopefully its good to go

Hmmmm ive done everything to a chipper besides blow one up guess ill go for that next, since all the cool kids are doin it...

Cant really say this one is my fault but was sure perplexing not sure on the hp but it was a john deer out of a 13" morbark drum with maybe 2500 hrs on it thing would burn gallons of oil a day would be full in the morning and it would be shuttin its self down by 2 didnt smoke @ all didnt blow the oil outa nowhere pulled the thing apart expecting to see a cylinder completly oil soaked or scored to hell nuttin... Looked absolutly beautiful... Well she got rebuilt still havent run it for any extended periods. Hopefully its good to go

I think it was last spring when Blakes was having trouble with his old chipper. Ended up re-powering it and still had major problems. Many problems and such that would have sent me to a padded room for life. I think he just painted his old chipper, bearings, etc.

I don't know what to say Blakes except don't look back and I feel better not having to listen to you complain about that old beast. It was killing us. Still have it? Trade in?

Turbo?

Hey dude? You check the turbo on it? If the cyls aren't hoofing oil, it could be the turbo leaking @ the turbine seal on the shaft? For the price of a turbo...

I think it was last spring when Blakes was having trouble with his old chipper. Ended up re-powering it and still had major problems. Many problems and such that would have sent me to a padded room for life. I think he just painted his old chipper, bearings, etc.

I don't know what to say Blakes except don't look back and I feel better not having to listen to you complain about that old beast. It was killing us. Still have it? Trade in?

Long story but we are fairly certain all the problems which led to the eventual destruction of the 4bt that cummins northeast put in the machine stemmed from a leaky air filter system which was allowing dust into the engine. It makes sense I'm just frustrated that the techs at cummins northeast couldn't figure it out until it was too late. I have too much work lined up right now to #### around and it was about time for a bigger chipper anyway. We will be rebuilding the engine in our old one as well as updating the air filtration system and keeping it for backup.

Hey dude? You check the turbo on it? If the cyls aren't hoofing oil, it could be the turbo leaking @ the turbine seal on the shaft? For the price of a turbo...

A oil soaked injector can burn clean , no muss no fuss ! Maybe a little smoke but at 2500 Rpms you wouldn't even see it being coughed out 20 ft into there air. The oil went somewhere it always does

Got an email this AM off of one of my CL ads asking for a quote on a tree in the front yard. Turns out its one street over from my yard. I blew out the price while still maintaining an acceptable margin of profit (especially because I am just getting on my feet again). Figured I wouldn't hear back for little while, but alas, I received an almost instantaneous phone call from the woman, whom hired me immediately. I could tell I was far less expensive than the people who came over and gave her quotes prior, as she was obviously shopping, and judging by her response I think I could have easily tacked on a few more benji's and still have got the job.

What would you have charged? Full removal, no grinding.

Got an email this AM off of one of my CL ads asking for a quote on a tree in the front yard. Turns out its one street over from my yard. I blew out the price while still maintaining an acceptable margin of profit (especially because I am just getting on my feet again). Figured I wouldn't hear back for little while, but alas, I received an almost instantaneous phone call from the woman, whom hired me immediately. I could tell I was far less expensive than the people who came over and gave her quotes prior, as she was obviously shopping, and judging by her response I think I could have easily tacked on a few more benji's and still have got the job.

Its always different not seeing it in person, I'd probly do it for $600.

Theres a service and some communication wires, whats the big deal? I did line clearance for 8 years and Ive done sum nasty ones up over big 3phase, those wires are a walk in the park.

Theres a service and some communication wires, whats the big deal? I did line clearance for 8 years and Ive done sum nasty ones up over big 3phase, those wires are a walk in the park.

I know they are, but no one else does lol and they are in the company lines too btw.. They always make a job more expensive. She was very concerned about them, it was obvious someone tried to use them as a selling point to pay out the nose.

Last edited:
I know they are, but no one else does lol and they are in the company lines too btw.. They always make a job more expensive. She was very concerned about them, it was obvious someone tried to use them as a selling point to pay out the nose.

I hear ya, Im just real comfortable working around wires, but thats not to say I haven't used there "fear factor" to sell a job haha.

Charge...

Not being there... about $1,500.00 +/_ $500.00

$700ish on the side, 1000ish for a company estimate.

Am I close?

You didn't say where it was, but if that's Cambridge, $2000 for dealing with the tree hugging hippy neighborhood.

$700ish on the side, 1000ish for a company estimate.

Am I close?

You didn't say where it was, but if that's Cambridge, $2000 for dealing with the tree hugging hippy neighborhood.

Close enough my friend. I was close to a grand on this one to get the job. But JANDH is where I would have been if I had to do any traveling, maybe a little closer to 1300.

PS, Cambridge isn't all hippies, and the ones who are don't have enough money to take a tree down anyway lol. Somerville government is more of a PITA actually, and that is where the tree is located. It's on a dead end though, and I won't have to worry about closing sidewalks or permits. That alone would have added $500 to the job.

Back