whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a pole saw off Phil and he let me take it for a ride. I liked it a lot and will be using it someday on a job. I think with his tracked lift and mini, he is really positioning himself to take over a niche market of limited access jobs.

Also, his lift eliminates the need for a climber quite often. I believe Phil said he had climbed only a handful of trees this season, the lift does everything else. I'm all for saving the body some physical stress.

Yep and I am doing jobs for other companies with the one I have ( for a month ) gonna buy in the spring. It's booked with my jobs and subbed out solid! They are exactly what you just stated !

Had a hard commute to the island office today! Got the new chipper on the work boat. Took over the atv and trailer and mini skid first, came back for the chipper later in the afternoon.

Had a #### all this #### day. It was as needed as it could have been. #### you all, I'm gettin my buzz on.
hy2ehe3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Drove to Maine and back today to pick up a gassifier for my friend. Almost 700 miles round trip. Tried to get lobsters on the return trip, but had no luck.

Got rag dolled bad today. taking a large ponderosa top and with a wrap and a half on the old piece of crap porty and it didn't run one bit. I was flung out of my spurs and slammed into the trunk. luckily I was able to hug the stem as the wobbling settled down. I made sure the porty was set up correct and told my ground man 10 times to make sure it runs, but it seems that the porty has been "sticky" the last several tops. It will only run if we have an exteremely heavy piece. Any one else ever experience this? Other portys that I have used have been smooth, this one has the black powdercoat finish and is pretty old and abused. Got lucky that it was only a few bumps and bruises.

Had a hard commute to the island office today! Got the new chipper on the work boat. Took over the atv and trailer and mini skid first, came back for the chipper later in the afternoon.

Deevo those pics are boss lol. I go on a fishing trip up to Quebec usually yearly. There are about 15 of us that go to Duncan lake, First time i was up there i was running through all the stop signs when i got into the french part. I wasn't use to seeing them overhead. We where out on one lake that was about 150-200 miles of dirt road and only logging trucks the whole way. Duncan lake is over an hour boat ride at about 15-20mph to the island you stay on. We had a ton of fun up there. Those giant rocks like in your pictures where everywhere the guy had them marked with milk jugs so you didn't run your boat into them, scary #### was that the jugs sometimes floated away.

I see you got a bunch of Oregon chain i think I'm going back to stihl stuff. That stuff is starting to drive me nuts on my climbing saws, it seems to catch a lot when making the top cut on a face cut. When i run stihl green chain it doesn't seem to happen.

Last edited:
Deevo those pics are boss lol. I go on a fishing trip up to Quebec usually yearly. There are about 15 of us that go to Duncan lake, First time i was up there i was running through all the stop signs when i got into the french part. I wasn't use to seeing them overhead. We where out on one lake that was about 150-200 miles of dirt road and only logging trucks the whole way. Duncan lake is over an hour boat ride at about 15-20mph to the island you stay on. We had a ton of fun up there. Those giant rocks like in your pictures where everywhere the guy had them marked with milk jugs so you didn't run your boat into them, scary #### was that the jugs sometimes floated away.

I see you got a bunch of Oregon chain i think I'm going back to stihl stuff. That stuff is starting to drive me nuts on my climbing saws, it seems to catch a lot when making the top cut on a face cut. When i run stihl green chain it doesn't seem to happen.

Yeah it's kind of majestic out where we are working, scenery is amazing! One wrong turn out there and it's a bad day for you and your prop! Yeah I run Oregon on my ground saws, have 2 100' reels for my climbing saws of Stihl chain. I was asked today by another neighbour on another island to do some work for them later in October ( when I have time) I guess modded saws with loud mufflers do serve a purpose! He heard one of my saws, hopped in his boat and came over!

Last edited:
Working a nice property this week. Guy has 2.5 acres on a small lake, in city limits, been there since 1960. 80 trees on the property. We are taking 10, and pruning/dead wooding the rest. I love referrals! After getting price, HO says"you had the job when you pulled up". And this job has a first for me. Removing a Bald Cypress. Don't get to many of them in the Midwest. This job has it all. Climbing, "Murph" :) , and tow lift (conrete weight concern). And, the weather is perfect for tree work! Oh, one more bonus. One tree is hollow as dog, and chuck full O' honey bees!

Removed 4 pines and deadwooded 2 ash. Was working on a road that leads to a dump site. Watched several new clowns drive by with wood, there is no hope.

Nice, did you buy a Vermeer service truck? :msp_wink:

No, I was out on a farm and had a track come off the mini. I never had one come off and didnt have much for tools with us and the vermeer dealer was omly nine miles away. We took lunch break and was up and running in less than an hour and now I know how to do it myself.

3 Tulip Poplars 1 Black Oak all with ivy on the trunks. The tallest Tulip is about 120'to the tips. We got most of the brush out of the trees and probably a 1/2 day to finish the rest tomorrow . Also a really big wasp nest to make the day perfect.
aqema2a8.jpg
ehy8eqe8.jpg
nesy7yby.jpg
sejepaze.jpg
8abesyne.jpg
vu4adure.jpg
tu6u4ene.jpg
e2aze5e2.jpg

Today: Couple of small balsams, couple of small maples, a bunch of branches off some beech to let the light hit the house, and a BIG poplar takedown.

The poplar trunk was about 24", and I bucked it up with the 460 and just zoomed on through it lak buttah! :D

Gotta love poplar for making a saw feel extra sharp.

Guys brought chip truck into down town Cambridge knowing the chipper was empty. I got to the scene and found out they didn't bring a fuel can either, so I had to take the whole rig and find diesel in rush hour traffic. When I got back, I found out they didn't bring any 2stroke mix. I lost it.

Guys brought chip truck into down town Cambridge knowing the chipper was empty. I got to the scene and found out they didn't bring a fuel can either, so I had to take the whole rig and find diesel in rush hour traffic. When I got back, I found out they didn't bring any 2stroke mix. I lost it.

That brings back some bad memories:taped: And then they get that blank look on their faces like so what now? :angry: Don't worry they'll start to think ahead a little bit eventually......

That brings back some bad memories:taped: And then they get that blank look on their faces like so what now? :angry: Don't worry they'll start to think ahead a little bit eventually......

I told them I'd cancel work for a week next time it happened.

Back