whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't see very many tl230s in our area with enclosed cabs. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing one. I've used a friends tl140 a bunch. At some point, I plan to buy one. A full sized skid is kinda the only thing we don't have. We have an sk650, a yanmar 8k mini ex, and grapple truck for moving wood. I'd like to try out one of those halverson fire wood processors on a full sized skid. Been trying to decide if I'd rather have a 12k mini ex or full sized skid next. No problem for us to haul either one.

What made you pick that one. Shopping for one I can push loads of chips and logs into a hole in back of my property. How much$ ? Good time for tax write off.
When I started researching tracked skid loader, Takeuchi stood out as being one of the best. They have pilot controls (the best control method in my mind, kubota engine and I have 2 dealers close by). It was very hard to find anyone really say anything negative about them, beside some bad final drives back in the mid 2000’s. Everyone raves about their toughness and reliability. I paid 24k for this machine, came with a dirt bucket and the grapple bucket. 3300 hours. He has another one for sale with like 2700hrs (asking 26k). He’s in the Pittsburgh area, so not a terrible drive from cincy.

Don't see very many tl230s in our area with enclosed cabs. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing one. I've used a friends tl140 a bunch. At some point, I plan to buy one. A full sized skid is kinda the only thing we don't have. We have an sk650, a yanmar 8k mini ex, and grapple truck for moving wood. I'd like to try out one of those halverson fire wood processors on a full sized skid. Been trying to decide if I'd rather have a 12k mini ex or full sized skid next. No problem for us to haul either one.

You get the Halverson, I’ll provide the skid steer and we can have a firewood processing party. I’m about 30 miles south of you.
60de08f43cc41fdd1ce6b88b12cec821.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I started researching tracked skid loader, Takeuchi stood out as being one of the best. They have pilot controls (the best control method in my mind, kubota engine and I have 2 dealers close by). It was very hard to find anyone really say anything negative about them, beside some bad final drives back in the mid 2000’s. Everyone raves about their toughness and reliability. I paid 24k for this machine, came with a dirt bucket and the grapple bucket. 3300 hours. He has another one for sale with like 2700hrs (asking 26k). He’s in the Pittsburgh area, so not a terrible drive from cincy.

So I assume you have a class A to trailer that? All the best toys are class A.

My new kid wants to go for his. I told him I'd pay for half of it (he's only been here a few months). It's 5k total. That seems pretty reasonable to me. What do you guys think? Curious how others have dealt with this and what seems fair?

So I assume you have a class A to trailer that? All the best toys are class A.

My new kid wants to go for his. I told him I'd pay for half of it (he's only been here a few months). It's 5k total. That seems pretty reasonable to me. What do you guys think? Curious how others have dealt with this and what seems fair?
I never really thought about it, but I guess you would. ~8600lbs machine, 4K lbs trailer; over the 10k lbs cdl requirement. I have my A and so does my worker.

A crew member with a CDL is definitely a plus. Gives you flexibility in who drives what to and from jobs, dumping trucks, hauling logs/equipment. A raise of at least a dollar or two should be expected. Depending on the employee and what you pay him, the CDL might open up other job opportunities and he’ll ditch tree work to bang gears. But if he likes tree work and has no desire to be a super trucker, that $2500 and pay raise will be worth it on your end.

You get the Halverson, I’ll provide the skid steer and we can have a firewood processing party. I’m about 30 miles south of you.
60de08f43cc41fdd1ce6b88b12cec821.jpg

How serious are you about this? I've thought about buying the halverson and trying it on my mini ex but didn't want to have no way to use it if that didn't work. I also didn't really want to mess with installing a case drain. Seems like every time I try to rent, no one has what I want available.

Winter is not a good time to demo used skid steers. If the hydro pump went bad the machine will eternally have a ****ed up hydro system with bypass/delay issues. You will have a delay in the winter even with a perfect machine so it will be tough to figure out if the machine is a lemon. You could try to get the fluid to operating temp but it might take a while.
I not one guy near me was trying to sell his tacheuchi. Ran it out of fluid and replaced the pump. Machine will be someone else’s problem.

How serious are you about this? I've thought about buying the halverson and trying it on my mini ex but didn't want to have no way to use it if that didn't work. I also didn't really want to mess with installing a case drain. Seems like every time I try to rent, no one has what I want available.

I’m game, my machine has a case drain already. The only problem with the skid steer processor to me is the maximum diameter logs they will process is 16”. Is that correct ??

I studied and took all my cdl stuff myself at the DMV. I had friend that let me use his truck to take the road test. I think the grand total including the dot physical was around $400. I have a class A.

I agree that’s the way to do it if you can. I just found it easiest (on many levels) to do the classes personally. This kid has absolutely no clue either, so let it be their problem for a while lol. I’m really only wanting a guy to be able to tow the big chipper or Omme lift with the ram. That would be a big help to start.

Cdl license will have to go through a privatized training in Ohio soon. Was already supposed to be in effect but they backed it off because they didn’t give time for the “schools” to prepare. The company I’m with is really pushing the guys to get theirs very soon because it is about to cost a small fortune. Hate to drop 5k on a guy and he leaves as soon as he gets it. I get mad enough when someone quits and I don’t get the helmet back. The helmet isn’t the issue, it’s the Sena unit that is agitating.

Cdl license will have to go through a privatized training in Ohio soon. Was already supposed to be in effect but they backed it off because they didn’t give time for the “schools” to prepare. The company I’m with is really pushing the guys to get theirs very soon because it is about to cost a small fortune. Hate to drop 5k on a guy and he leaves as soon as he gets it. I get mad enough when someone quits and I don’t get the helmet back. The helmet isn’t the issue, it’s the Sena unit that is agitating.
In my state, I think you can still take a truck and go test with the DOT after you pass the written test. But you can also just send guys to the private schools and use their trucks after the guys have passed the written test. The last guy I sent was maybe 3 months ago and cost around $600 and they guarantee they will pass or they get to take the class and retest for free until they pass.

I hear you. I’m thinking this kid is as safe a bet as I could find for this though. I definitely don’t see him pursuing a career as super trucker.
I have three class A trailers that need to go to most jobs (chipper, lift and Giant), so I could definitely see making my money back pretty quickly. Obviously there would be a raise in there too. I have no problem with that.

In my state, I think you can still take a truck and go test with the DOT after you pass the written test. But you can also just send guys to the private schools and use their trucks after the guys have passed the written test. The last guy I sent was maybe 3 months ago and cost around $600 and they guarantee they will pass or they get to take the class and retest for free until they pass.

That’s crazy cheap. I’ve never heard of less than 3k for a CDL class A. Even the state retesting fee (or whatever) if you fail is something like $150 or $180.

I had to drive a 10 speed semi for an hour with a dot cop sitting next to me. Lol

That’s crazy cheap. I’ve never heard of less than 3k for a CDL class A. Even the state retesting fee (or whatever) if you fail is something like $150 or $180.

I had to drive a 10 speed semi for an hour with a dot cop sitting next to me. Lol
The place we use has their own trucks and instructors. The guys spend an 8 hour day in a classroom and on the truck. Then they stay in a hotel and test the next day. The school is certified to do the testing themselves. It actually cost us a little more than the $600 because I forgot about paying for the hotel, etc. But it still isn't too bad of a deal for us. They only test for class A/air brakes at this school.

Back