whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do have to realize that that extra hp is mostly needed due to the way the track machines fight themselves when turning, and probably has nothing to do with lifting…. maybe if you were harrowing fields or something lol. Just saying.

Big fan of Yanmar engines though! I’m on my second Yanmar powered JD tractor. First one was the best, second is pollution controlled up and a bit of a disappointment, but still a good engine at its core I’m sure. Both were in that same 44hp class.
You do have to realize that that extra hp is mostly needed due to the way the track machines fight themselves when turning, and probably has nothing to do with lifting…. maybe if you were harrowing fields or something lol. Just saying.

Big fan of Yanmar engines though! I’m on my second Yanmar powered JD tractor. First one was the best, second is pollution controlled up and a bit of a disappointment, but still a good engine at its core I’m sure. Both were in that same 44hp class.
Yes, I got that. But when you are dragging big limbs and trees and feeding the chipper, turning and lifting and crusin’ you need the extra hp. That’s what I’m saying.

Not to be a downer, but I can't help but think you're not going to be leaving the plywood at home when you get that new lift. Even though your lift is considerably lighter than mine, I'm sure the tracks will still tear up lawns (i'm sure you know this, but just pointing it out). That's why I've never been too concerned about my giant being so heavy. I think the whole turf friendly thing would be huge if I were still climbing everything like back in the day, and based on that I can understand why some companies love that 254. I'm sure it's indispensable for a climbing operation, but if you have to plywood the lift in anyway, what's the point really, unless you're running a climbing crew (just thinking out loud here)? And after a few years running a 90' lift, climbing just seems kind of barbaric to me. Not that it's not still fun and doesn't have it's place, but just saying.

I probably wouldn't even be looking into smaller machines if they still made my giant v6004 tele. I looked into giant's replacement the G3500 tele a little, but on paper it's base weight is 1762 lbs. lighter (10,472 vs 8,710 lbs.). That and the tier 4 deal (now that they're made in the states) is the deal breaker for me. The next size up really does seem like it would be too big... especially with the pollution garbage making the ass end bigger yet. And even if I went with the biggest Avant they make it would still be a step down from my current unit (at least the way it looks on paper). That's why I'm looking into smaller machines. I just can't see spending the kind of money a bigger one costs and getting less machine than I currently have. That and it would be nice to have something a little simpler and more cost effective for the imaginary second crew I'm building in my head lol.
You literally summed up our operation to a T. We are a climbing based company with me climbing and my brother working the ground. Befor 2021 we never had to use plywood. In preparation for the lift and how wet last year was we purchased 18 clear arbor mats from ricks equipment in PA."don't know if I would ever buy Equipment from him" Delivered they were $280 per mat"best deal I could find" the handles are a nice feature. We are ready for the lift. I decided to go with arbor mats because we blew through so many sheets of plywood last year because of the wet. Any reason you still run plywood with how often you mat in? They are definitely heavier "80lbs" but not absorbing water is a big plus

If you are going to run a second crew with a green operator that's never used your giant you might consider a mini skid steer. The learning curve is definitely high with the articulating teli mini wheel loader. I swear by the rotator function, your missing out on a ton of capabilities without one. That 860i avant looks like a slick unit

We had to mat in over the septic field for the big pine on the right.

We had 3 inches of snow mid job in December and there goes the nice plywood we had.

A local tree company had this mat holder made looking to make sowing similar that holds up to 10 sheets. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20211222_163208.jpg
    20211222_163208.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 20211122_131930.jpg
    20211122_131930.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20211123_154204.jpg
    20211123_154204.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220126_104055.jpg
    20220126_104055.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27

I just turned 49 last month and what you’ve heard is definitely correct. I feel as productive, if not more so than when I was 25 with these machines. That’s no lie, just honest truth. Probably safer too. I still climb as needed, but these machines pretty much eliminate that.
We pretty much kept climbing until we couldn't anymore due to increased work load. Climbing is just to inefficient when you have a 2-3 month backlog. It was either hire another guy "3 in total" or buy the lift. We went with the lift and stayed with the two man crew.

Tree MDS,

Sk1550 is absolute beast, but for your operation and how you use plywood, a small articulating wheel loader would work great. The mini skid is definitely better at going through soft ground, tough terrain, mud; but it seems you avoid those kind of situations for the most part. I’d like to pick up a mini articulating loader in a year or two to pair with my mini skid and full size skid, then I’d have all bases covered.

Tree MDS,

Sk1550 is absolute beast, but for your operation and how you use plywood, a small articulating wheel loader would work great. The mini skid is definitely better at going through soft ground, tough terrain, mud; but it seems you avoid those kind of situations for the most part. I’d like to pick up a mini articulating loader in a year or two to pair with my mini skid and full size skid, then I’d have all bases covered.

Yeah, I have to agree, the mini giant would be my choice. I kinda like the 1550 more (just cuz it’s different to me and cool), but the giant makes more sense for too many reasons to be overlooked (even though it’s a little funny looking).

Yeah, I have to agree, the mini giant would be my choice. I kinda like the 1550 more (just cuz it’s different to me and cool), but the giant makes more sense for too many reasons to be overlooked (even though it’s a little funny looking).
Look into the sk900. Lighter and more compact than the 1550 You already have the bigger machines for bigger jobs. Smaller machine that will forward brush to a chipper all day long

Good to see much discussion about various loaders.

Have plenty to say, but not much time. Huge fan of the Vermeer compact track skids, Ditchwitch being the other comparable manufacturer for these machines, all the other being much lesser duty for various reasons. The Vermeers punch well above their weight class.

One of my guy rolled the Vermeer 925tx on Tuesday pulling hung up tree out on a slope. Operator error. Watched the whole event unfold from up in large tree on other side of house. Almost told him to leave it before it happened, but didn't want to be 'over controlling'. Got down & had machine upright with crane in 15 minutes, but still spent day clearing cylinders & injectors on site yesterday. Lost an injector seat in process, can't source part easily, machine out action, increasing rage!!

Wonder where ole treevet is? I think I found the grapple he's been looking for...
67a0cb9af548cf929d78944190f9fec2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wonder where ole treevet is? I think I found the grapple he's been looking for...
67a0cb9af548cf929d78944190f9fec2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had a similar rock grapple custom built (from a Terex 50) for my Vermeer, for clearing firebreaks, APZ's etc.

Has been great, but the grapple part just not robust enough, bent in all sorts of directions.

I want to know if treevet won his $25,200 bid for one tree

He did. It was finished before midday, in his sneakers & jeans with just one guy on the ground, hail mary single block negative rigging & a bit of help from the crane that looks like a WWI battlefield implement.

And the owner tipped him two bars of gold bullion....

The customer dropped about 20 trees all crossed over each other and then decided cleanup was too much for him. We brought this guy in with his forestry cutter and mulched it up. We yarded the logs up the hill out of his way with the chipper winch through a pulley. Then at the end of the day we fell the yarderResized_Resized_20220205_102306.jpeg20220210_121134.jpgView attachment 20220210_093932_001.mp4View attachment 20220210_094105.mp4

You literally summed up our operation to a T. We are a climbing based company with me climbing and my brother working the ground. Befor 2021 we never had to use plywood. In preparation for the lift and how wet last year was we purchased 18 clear arbor mats from ricks equipment in PA."don't know if I would ever buy Equipment from him" Delivered they were $280 per mat"best deal I could find" the handles are a nice feature. We are ready for the lift. I decided to go with arbor mats because we blew through so many sheets of plywood last year because of the wet. Any reason you still run plywood with how often you mat in? They are definitely heavier "80lbs" but not absorbing water is a big plus

If you are going to run a second crew with a green operator that's never used your giant you might consider a mini skid steer. The learning curve is definitely high with the articulating teli mini wheel loader. I swear by the rotator function, your missing out on a ton of capabilities without one. That 860i avant looks like a slick unit

We had to mat in over the septic field for the big pine on the right.

We had 3 inches of snow mid job in December and there goes the nice plywood we had.

A local tree company had this mat holder made looking to make sowing similar that holds up to 10 sheets. Thoughts?

So were you able to lift those 18 mats with the forks? That's what, 1,440 lbs?

Back