whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So were you able to lift those 18 mats with the forks? That's what, 1,440 lbs?
Yes I was able to move them with pallet forks. In total I purchased 28 and split them with a friend. He got 12 and I got 18. The little giant would not lift all 28 but moved my 18 around no problem.

I want to figure out a way to make mat tongs that slip on to my bmg grapple. They would attach similar to how the claim shells attach but would allow for the mats to be moved individually or all at once. a crude drawing to give some idea of what I am thinking. We usually leave the forks at the yard and the mats go in the back of our 3/4 ton pickup. Pain to switch between the forks and grapple due to hydro pressure having to Crack a line with a wrench

Attachments

• 20220105_175400.jpg
    20220105_175400.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 13
Yes I was able to move them with pallet forks. In total I purchased 28 and split them with a friend. He got 12 and I got 18. The little giant would not lift all 28 but moved my 18 around no problem.

I want to figure out a way to make mat tongs that slip on to my bmg grapple. They would attach similar to how the claim shells attach but would allow for the mats to be moved individually or all at once. a crude drawing to give some idea of what I am thinking. We usually leave the forks at the yard and the mats go in the back of our 3/4 ton pickup. Pain to switch between the forks and grapple due to hydro pressure having to Crack a line with a wrench
Hydro pressure, I know exactly what you are talking about and I know exactly what you need. I remember double thinking switching attachments because of dealing with that most of the time which effectively ruined a huge benefit of these machines. I even had it looked at once because it seems like properly cycling with engine off should relieve pressure but alas...
Contact Dave Nordgaard at Branch Manager and he'll set you up. I am so thankful I spent the money. I don't even have to shut machine off to switch ! Quite a cluster of adaptors but whenever I have to replace the hydraulic lines I will get rid of some. Funny I just realized in the pictures I still have my wrench on the machine for cracking lines before I got this "magic" thing !?

Branch Manager.pngIMG_9224.jpgIMG_9225.jpgIMG_9226.jpg

What do you guys think of this (just window shopping)? Did I miss anything?

That’s the branch manager T1010 with power rotation.

I do think I want that lever thing in jesters pic added if I did it.
97A8FC36-AB32-4A2A-8BF7-DB7C8A5B5340.png

Ya jester I think I will look into that. I have seen that but never thought about it to seriously.
Hydro pressure, I know exactly what you are talking about and I know exactly what you need. I remember double thinking switching attachments because of dealing with that most of the time which effectively ruined a huge benefit of these machines. I even had it looked at once because it seems like properly cycling with engine off should relieve pressure but alas...
Contact Dave Nordgaard at Branch Manager and he'll set you up. I am so thankful I spent the money. I don't even have to shut machine off to switch ! Quite a cluster of adaptors but whenever I have to replace the hydraulic lines I will get rid of some. Funny I just realized in the pictures I still have my wrench on the machine for cracking lines before I got this "magic" thing !?

View attachment 963886View attachment 963887View attachment 963888View attachment 963889
Ya jester I think I will look into that. I have seen that but never thought about it to seriously. Thanks.

View attachment 963886View attachment 963887View attachment 963888View attachment 963889
I like how you attached the wrench to your Hydro lines. I'll get a picture of where we keep a spare scrench today! Do you have the chains for the outer wheels that Dave sells? Do you know about the kobota oil filter that replaces the spendy giant branded ones?

I like how you attached the wrench to your Hydro lines. I'll get a picture of where we keep a spare scrench today! Do you have the chains for the outer wheels that Dave sells? Do you know about the kobota oil filter that replaces the spendy giant branded ones?
I did not know about the chains, pictures ? Would love you to share Kubota filter info as I never heard of that either !

What do you guys think of this (just window shopping)? Did I miss anything?

That’s the branch manager T1010 with power rotation.

I do think I want that lever thing in jesters pic added if I did it.
View attachment 963913
I was talked out of rotating grapple. Reasonings: #1 Extra weight of rotator takes away from lifting capacity. #2 Was told the extra operation of manipulating the rotator supposedly took more time than it saved. For whatever it's worth the grapple I have (Branch Manager original) hangs off center so that you can have lower side push against log and other side somewhat easily rotates to the pick up position. Don't know from actual experience how they would compare though... If you do get rotator I would appreciate you sharing your experience. One good example I could give is when I am dragging branches to chipper I can turn the machine as I get close and actually place butt end right in chipper, rotates itself as I turn and I feel like a rotator would be much harder to manipulate. Just my 2 cents...

I was talked out of rotating grapple. Reasonings: #1 Extra weight of rotator takes away from lifting capacity. #2 Was told the extra operation of manipulating the rotator supposedly took more time than it saved. For whatever it's worth the grapple I have (Branch Manager original) hangs off center so that you can have lower side push against log and other side somewhat easily rotates to the pick up position. Don't know from actual experience how they would compare though... If you do get rotator I would appreciate you sharing your experience. One good example I could give is when I am dragging branches to chipper I can turn the machine as I get close and actually place butt end right in chipper, rotates itself as I turn and I feel like a rotator would be much harder to manipulate. Just my 2 cents...

I think they all have that capability. Just the powered ones have to move the fluid as you turn and let it "free-spin" (for lack of a better term. I know my big grapple free-spins, it just takes a bit of effort to do it by hand. I'm thinking a smaller one would spin fine with a little weight hanging on it.

I think they all have that capability. Just the powered ones have to move the fluid as you turn and let it "free-spin" (for lack of a better term. I know my big grapple free-spins, it just takes a bit of effort to do it by hand. I'm thinking a smaller one would spin fine with a little weight hanging on it.
Interesting, I did not realize the powered ones have a "neutral" position where fluid could be freely moving. I wonder how they do that ? Hydraulics hold many secrets it seems... If I had a bigger unit like yours I would want the rotator, interested in seeing how it works for Helmstein if that's the way he goes. I know enough to know I don't know enough...

This is where I keep my scrench.

Attachments

• 20220211_142540.jpg
    20220211_142540.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
I did not know about the chains, pictures ? Would love you to share Kubota filter info as I never heard of that either !
The most underrated option in my opinion. Avant 528 wheel tiedowns, don't you just love social media!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220212-022541_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-022541_Instagram.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200515_183538.jpg
    IMG_20200515_183538.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210817_175619.jpg
    20210817_175619.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 25
If you have the 13 function joystick the 254t and the rotator are made for each other. The things you can manipulate are endless, ball vines up, use your scoops in ways you never thought possible and much more. The rotator is so small that with material in the grapple it spines with little resistance. I also like the way the grapple doesn't flop around as much compared to knockaround grapple. In regards to feeding the chipper, the hydro swivle does the same thing, the material stays oriented the same way yours would the. The fluid passes through the rotator eaisily with little resistance. All the movements are on the joystick, your hand will learn the functions quick

The only drawback is that the 12v pin connector that diverts the swivle function sometimes becomes unplugged. plug it back in and your ready to rock and roll. Any other questions feel free to let me know. I have about 1000hrs on my 254 with rotator grapple

If you have the 13 function joystick the 254t and the rotator are made for each other. The things you can manipulate are endless, ball vines up, use your scoops in ways you never thought possible and much more. The rotator is so small that with material in the grapple it spines with little resistance. I also like the way the grapple doesn't flop around as much compared to knockaround grapple. In regards to feeding the chipper, the hydro swivle does the same thing, the material stays oriented the same way yours would the. The fluid passes through the rotator eaisily with little resistance. All the movements are on the joystick, your hand will learn the functions quick

The only drawback is that the 12v pin connector that diverts the swivle function sometimes becomes unplugged. plug it back in and your ready to rock and roll. Any other questions feel free to let me know. I have about 1000hrs on my 254 with rotator grapple

I always remember hearing that “13 function joystick” term from Dave’s site. I’m not sure if the guy called the one I’m looking at 9 or 13 function (spaced it). He said all the functions can be done from the joystick and that the grapple is a two hose unit,,, I think there’s a wire run to split it. Does this sound like what you have? Just wanna make sure I get the right set up if I do this.

You’ll see I had him change the quote to add the hyd block/lever thing and the grapple you mentioned (nice catch, Hardox is bad ass stuff, probably well worth it). Got the ramps too, just for more options loading it.
952656ED-6EFD-48F7-B3F7-BCC1705B720F.png

This is pretty sweet too. I don’t like the extra length it adds to the machine, but I’m betting it’s worth it being able to adjust your ballast like that.
View attachment 964080View attachment 964081
I would argue there won't be any "adjusting" once you got such a thing. It would get put on and stay on, which is maybe ok. However, I understood that these machines, 254T, were the biggest units that could be legally loaded sideways on trailer or truck due to width restrictions. This would effect that, if that mattered to a person's set up. I am working on a way to load sideways on a flat bed for my roll off truck with a chipper box behind it. Dave sells aluminum ramps that are long enough to make this happen which I now use to load into back of truck without putting box on ground, saves time.

The most underrated option in my opinion. Avant 528 wheel tiedowns, don't you just love social media!
Thanks for sharing pictures and knowledge. Saving photos for future reference. It is funny how things like better tie downs are so cool. I came up with a better tie down for my tractor that does save a little time but mainly just makes something I do repeatedly more enjoyable to deal with.

I would argue there won't be any "adjusting" once you got such a thing. It would get put on and stay on, which is maybe ok. However, I understood that these machines, 254T, were the biggest units that could be legally loaded sideways on trailer or truck due to width restrictions. This would effect that, if that mattered to a person's set up. I am working on a way to load sideways on a flat bed for my roll off truck with a chipper box behind it. Dave sells aluminum ramps that are long enough to make this happen which I now use to load into back of truck without putting box on ground, saves time.

That was one of my thoughts, that the weights would make it too wide to be legal loaded sideways. I figured I would order the weights and figure out if I wanted to take them off after or not (if I wanted to load sideways). Rough estimate of the math still comes in somewhere around 8’ 3”, so just under the 8’ 6” legal width. Lol. I imagine they had that in mind when they built them… too coincidental.
95D4CB54-86AC-4543-B240-CCC84E727847.jpeg

I always remember hearing that “13 function joystick” term from Dave’s site. I’m not sure if the guy called the one I’m looking at 9 or 13 function (spaced it). He said all the functions can be done from the joystick and that the grapple is a two hose unit,,, I think there’s a wire run to split it. Does this sound like what you have? Just wanna make sure I get the right set up if I do this.

You’ll see I had him change the quote to add the hyd block/lever thing and the grapple you mentioned (nice catch, Hardox is bad ass stuff, probably well worth it). Got the ramps too, just for more options loading it.
View attachment 964153
That is the correct joystick. I've heard it called 9 and 13 functionaswell. Same thing.

Thw rear weight kit looks different from the one I have. Sticking out a but more but looks more versatile. Giving you attachments for tiedowns and square receiver. Mine is probably factory from giant and is cost prohibitive to ship when they can manufacture one here 3rd party. Just giving you all the options. See mine below for reference.

Last think I forgot about is the saw scabbard that I bought this past year from Dave @ bmg it installs by your right foot to the outised of the floor in-between the two tires. Ask Dave for a picture. That is a great option!

Your 254t will be set up right from the jump.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200404_190120.jpg
    MVIMG_20200404_190120.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13

View attachment 964153
Thats exactly what I have. A 12v wire that runs down the boom arm. I got my 12' ramps from genYhitch.com so I can load in the back of my chip truck. There are so many chip dumps around my area that I can always unload quick, get back to the job to pick up before we go home. We don't always do it but when we are working out of town it prevents a second trip. My bed height is 48" same loading angle as my low pro dump trailor that has a 24" deck height with 6' ramps.

Latest posts

Back