What 3 cube saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonka

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting a smaller lighter saw for limbing and light cutting. I currently have a Husky 357xp & 372xp and Dolmar 7900. The saws I'm considering are: Husky 346xp, 353, and Dolmar 5100s. I was really leaning towards the Dolmar because of how impressed I am with the 7900, but alot of recent posts have got me wondering if Dolmar is going to be here in a couple years. Don't mind the lack of local dealers as long as I can call someone and order the parts I need. The 346 has a proven track record and is a favorite of many. One question, does the 346 & 353 have the outboard clutch the same way the 357 does? That is one thing I don't like, maybe its me, but I think it makes it difficult to change chains. I've left Stihl out not because I don't like their saws but because local dealers want 479 to 499 for 260pro. Also the nearest dealer I won't buy from again (long stories) which leaves me driving 45 minutes to get to the next dealer. Any recommendations on a 3 cube saw?

Can't offer a major suggestion of that list, but the Dolmar 115 was the little hotsaw long before the 5100 or the 346. The 5100 is a newer, improved version of it. I would try the 5100 if you can get one cheap enough to justify the lack of dealer support.

Yes,346 and 353 have the same clutch type as 357.If you dont use much just for limbing,go with 353,torquier than 346.But if you want a screamer,go with the 346 like me.Both have same construction except cyl and piston.

I have two 346's, a buddy of mine has a 346 and a 5100. I've only run the 5100 a couple times. It's ever so slightly faster than the 346's but it also feels bulkier. I prefer the feel and handling of the 346 though. It's just so darn quick and easy to use!

(Just for clarification- all four saws have been ported by known saw builders. I figured since all had been similarly improved, their performance relative to each other was still valid.)

Last edited:
I have the 346 and 5100, both are modded. My heart still goes to the Husky. I'm going to run 20 or more tanks thru my 5100 the first week of March. I don't know if my mind will change about saws. The only downfall I see with the 346 is it's side heavy and wants to roll over when you set it down. Dealer support and parts are a big issue.

The 5100 is a bad little saw! A couple of others that you might take a look at are the 510 dolmar and the 5000 redmax.

HiOctane said:
Yes,346 and 353 have the same clutch type as 357. If you dont use much just for limbing, go with 353, torquier than 346. But if you want a screamer, go with the 346 like me.Both have same construction except cyl and piston.
Good and valid point, I think.
One more difference, the 353 has a decomp valve, and the 346xp (and 5100S) does not.

Tonka, when you already have the 357xp, I see little reason to go with the Dolmar just because of its added power over the Huskies, at the cost of added weight and bulk.:greenchainsaw:

The 346xp/353 design is a very ergonomic design, and the outboard cluch is usually not a hazzle until it is time to change the sprocket, and not a big one then either.

Considering what saws you already have, I would have taken the 346xp.....

Buy the dealer not the saw!

If you have a good husky dealer then I would buy the husky. If you have a good Dolmar dealer than buy the Dolmar.

A good dealer can fix a bad saw!

A good saw cannot fix a bad dealer!

SawTroll, that is a good point about the 5100 being close in size to the 357. I guess I'm moving in the direction of the 357 probably being used less. The 357 used to be my do everthing saw. Then I got the 372 & 7900 for heavier bucking and felling. The 357 moved into more of a limbing light cutting role. I'd like something alittle smaller, lighter than the 357 for that but still have good power. The 346 is a strong contender right now. But I'm still curious about the 5100, especially based on the way the 7900 runs. The 5100 is it about 1.5lbs lighter than the 357 and the 346 is about 2lbs lighter than the 357?

Japanese Maples for Saws

For limbing, light to me is about 8lbs sans bar & chain and that affords more control and precision. I've got a Dolmar...111i (yeah a pretty blue one). It has the hp of the new Dolmar 510 but is about 2 lbs lighter, about 10lbs sans bar, chain, fuel and oil. I would like to try a Dolmar ps-401 at 8 lbs and 1.7 kW power. I hear it will work very well for smaller cutting and limbing jobs. Any of you Dolmar dealers want to trade a little Dolmar ps-401 for a couple of trees like this? heh heh :)

EdgewoodsGoldenandOisami11-20-2004.jpg

Elmore said:
For limbing, light to me is about 8lbs sans bar & chain and that affords more control and precision. I've got a Dolmar...111i (yeah a pretty blue one). It has the hp of the new Dolmar 510 but is about 2 lbs lighter, about 10lbs sans bar, chain, fuel and oil. I would like to try a Dolmar ps-401 at 8 lbs and 1.7 kW power. I hear it will work very well for smaller cutting and limbing jobs. Any of you Dolmar dealers want to trade a little Dolmar ps-401 for a couple of trees like this? heh heh :)

EdgewoodsGoldenandOisami11-20-2004.jpg

Brush is the food for brushcutter:deadhorse:

tonka said:
.... The 5100 is it about 1.5lbs lighter than the 357 and the 346 is about 2lbs lighter than the 357?
From what I have collected of powerhead weight info from test reports (346xp and 357xp) and people I trust (5100), the 5100 is about 1.4lbs lighter than 357xp, and about 1lb heavier than the 346xp.
Some people are stating that the weight difference between the 346xp and 5100 is less though.....:confused:

The 353 is about midway between the 346xp and 5100 in weight.

Last edited:
SawTroll, Thanks for clarifing the weights. How does the 346 and 353 compare after being modded? Does the 346 still hold the edge or does the 353 pull ahead because of greater displacement? Also, why the weight difference between the two, if they are the same except for jug and piston?

I was curious about what post have lead you to believe that Dolmar may not be here in a couple of years?
tonka said:
I was really leaning towards the Dolmar because of how impressed I am with the 7900, but alot of recent posts have got me wondering if Dolmar is going to be here in a couple years.

Dolmar_Tech_Mgr said:
I was curious about what post have lead you to believe that Dolmar may not be here in a couple of years?
tonka said:
I was really leaning towards the Dolmar because of how impressed I am with the 7900, but alot of recent posts have got me wondering if Dolmar is going to be here in a couple years.

The'll be around, but I'm betting they will be called "Huskmar" or "Dolsky"... Sorry...

I am sure that the Swedes are done with their buying sprees. If they were going to buy Dolmar they would have done back in the late 80's or early 90's.

tonka said:
.... How does the 346 and 353 compare after being modded? Does the 346 still hold the edge or does the 353 pull ahead because of greater displacement? Also, why the weight difference between the two, if they are the same except for jug and piston?
From what I have read (EHP and/or Jokers I believe), the 353 does not take as good to mods as the 346xp.

I believe the jugs on the two models are made at different factories - as you say, the weight difference has to be in the jug/piston, so the 353 jug is probably larger outside as well as inside - and the porting is a different type .....

SawTroll, thanks for all the info. I had my mind pretty much set on getting a 346 when I came across a new 5100 for $120 less than the 346 and I thought I'd try it. Dolmar Tech, if you've been reading all the posts here recently regarding Dolmars, it appears that their marketing strategy is lacking.

Back