What a day......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo6 Sierra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So a buddy called me the other day and offered me about a dozen 30" rounds of red oak he has had sitting in his yard for the last several months. I check it out and looks like an easy enough job so I grab a buddy who owes me a favor, hook up the splitter and head over.

I brought both saws, my 361R with 25" B&C and my brand new 660R with 36" B&C. I give it a look and decide I can get the job done with the 361 so I fire her up and start cutting the first 3' round in half. I'm ripping through it and after getting a little more than half way through the saw stops cutting. I stop for a minute and put the saw down figuring I hit a knot. I didn't see any sparks but after looking at my chain it was totally FUBAR. I tried to hand file it but had no success, the teeth were peened over in the front and I could barely get the file in there. I looked in the cut and still couldn't see anything but decided to call it a wash and just split the smaller stuff that didn't need cutting.

Upon further inspection I found another round had a metal clothes line pulley in it and the tree had grown around it. My buddy has an electric chain grinder and is going to see if he can straighten it up for me. I ended up with a cord of wood at the end but was disappointed I couldn't get the bigger stuff.

I just got my 660 and was psyched about getting to use it but I'm glad I chose the right tool for the job, 36" chains aren't cheap. Just wanted to vent, thanks for listening.

Damn! I hate it when something like that happens. a couple years ago a poster here found an old rifle buried in a tree he was cutting up. A horseshoe was my most unusual item.

:cheers: this is our day comrade.:cheers:

Damn! I hate it when something like that happens. a couple years ago a poster here found an old rifle buried in a tree he was cutting up. A horseshoe was my most unusual item.

:cheers: this is our day comrade.:cheers:

Is there pics? not that i dont believe it, i just want to see it..:bowdown:

Yep, BTDT. The first time I ever used my 394, I wiped out a brand new 24" inject-a sharp carbide coated chain.

Literally ten seconds into my first cut I "found" a vein of concrete. That chain was never right after that. :greenchainsaw:

Nails,truck axles,rebar...the list goes on and on.It bites when you hit stuff like that and the chain never goes back right.:mad:

Back