What about Timberjacks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernonFirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What do u think about those timberjacks that are used to lift logs off the ground for cutting? are they worth buying one? Do u know how i can make one? or do u have any other suggestions of a way to lift logs of the ground (if their are no limbs supporting it to keep it off the ground) for cutting to firewood size (approx. 18'')

Does it help u lift the tree of the ground for cutting? Is the point of the cant hook sharp enough to dig into the trunk so it will hold? What brand do u have and how much does it cost?

I couldn't Imagine doing firewood without one. I use mine day in and day out. You can get them anywhere, saw shops, ebay, home stores, hardware stores, etc. Good ones cost between $80-$100 around here. Yes the cant hooks are sharp enough to stab in and hold. They work good, but only to a certain point I try using it on 40 foot trees sometimes and unless they are small diameter or cut up in pieces I just don't have the man power to roll and lift 'em.

I have a peavey TimberJack and love it. I use it all the time when I cut firewood and have saved many chains from the dirt by using it.

Hey guys, I am new to these, how do they work, anyone have a pic? Thanks RIX

Another vote for the wood-handle one from Bailey's. It's a good, solid unit. The ones from LogRite are also superb (using their cant hook or peavey + their bolt-on timberjack stand).

The only caveat is that they don't work that well in saturated, slippery mud, preferring to tip over and sink in to the mud. But that's no big surprise, really.

I too have the Peavey brand timber jack. I don't know how i lived without one ! I use it constantly for getting logs up off the ground to cut, and even just rolling them over. I bought mine at a local saw shop for around $75 or $80. If you are cutting up your own firewood..... you need one !

I was also wonderin about the quality of the ones from Northern Tool. I understand the general concept of what the timberjacks do but don't know exactly how they work. If someone could explain or send some pics of one in action that would be great.

I have heard and seen in other posts that the northern tools is not the best quality. and to use it is very easy, simply place the hook over the log and pull back onto the stand and your log is now off the ground

I was also wonderin about the quality of the ones from Northern Tool. I understand the general concept of what the timberjacks do but don't know exactly how they work. If someone could explain or send some pics of one in action that would be great.

Sure thing! I've got some wood to finish cutting and splitting when I leave work, so I'll get some pics up this evening.

Here are a couple pictures of the timberjack sold by Bailey's. It is basically a cant hook with a leg, which allows you to roll the log back towards you (as with a regular cant hook) and then up on to the leg, lifting the log off the ground. The leg can be removed, too, if you wish to use it as a cant hook and not a timberjack. It has been a pleasure to use when cutting up firewood.

Timberjack_1.jpg

Timberjack_2.jpg

I have the one from Bailey's, but find that I don't use it much to lift the log, but rather just to turn it over to finish the cut away from the dirt. I used to have the Northern Tool version about 9 years ago. It served the purpose well for a year and didn't break on me. I ended up giving it away when I moved to Japan for 3 years.

Ian

I've got a 48" logrite cant hook with the timberjack attachment and can't imagine cutting wood without it. It is truly a back saver.I got it from Bailey's which is something else I'd hate to be without.:D

I have a cant hook I found down in the Gila. Handle broke off. Looks like it was hand forged. Anyway I brought it home and turned a new handle on the lathe out of ash. Great tool but it won't lift a log, so I cut 3/4's thru and roll it-then cut the rest of the way thru. Wish I had the lifting leg sometimes. I don't really want to butcher it due to it's historic value to me.

If I was going to make one I'd get a set of old skidding or lifting tongs from an antique store (on the cheap). Take the rivet off and you have your hook.
3" flat strap 1/8' or 3/16'' thick-bang it in collar shape with a hammer over something hollow like a six inche pipe or open vice. Weld on an attachment lug, turn a handle on a lathe and your done! Probably easier to buy one-but if your like me, money doesn't grow on trees.

Last edited:
I had the Northern model it works okay unless you have to turn a very heavy log. I bent the handle. I bought a cant hook on ebay welded it to a peice of 1 1/2" pipe with a couple of tabs with holes drilled in them. I just use it for turning logs. It won't bend now.

Back