What about Timberjacks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
log jack

I bought the northern tool log jack as well... got i on sale and figured what the hey. try it out to see if i'd like it. I bent it right away and i had to grind the hook so it would dig into the log. JUNK if you ask me but the thought behind the tool is a wonderful work saving device!! Now if I can find some of those green paper thingys in my back pocket and get a good quality one i'll be set. definatley a tool to take along with the saw.

I was on baileys and it seems that they only sell some kind of attachment for a cant. is this what i am looking for? because i didnt see a timberjack.

I am biased towards wooden handled peaveys. The less metal around my chainsaw the better. My wooden handle has several cut marks in it, imagine if that was metal?!?! It's bad enough that I've hit the metal part of the peavey once lightly with the saw. I said...:censored:

What do u think about those timberjacks that are used to lift logs off the ground for cutting? are they worth buying one? Do u know how i can make one? or do u have any other suggestions of a way to lift logs of the ground (if their are no limbs supporting it to keep it off the ground) for cutting to firewood size (approx. 18'')

Get a peavey from Log Rite and buy a stand with it. The whole shan bang is about $130. The quality is such that you will have it for a lifetime.

Last edited:
works fine, with modifications

I can get pix in eventually, if needed.

I have one, but can't remember where it came from. Might have been Northern, might have been Baileys. I know that I have a 4 ft. handle. Massive hunk of wood there! Now the mod's:

Get your welder and chop saw out. First thing is to remove about 1/2 the length of the "leg" that it sits on. That extra hight isn't needed, and by cutting in 1/2 you double your lifting power!

Next, the shaped point that they expected hook into the log busted right away for me. I fixed that by welding in the extra chunk that I removed from the leg. This made the hook a little longer. Better leverage, larger throat. Then a grabbed a pair of plates ground some serious teeth (think fangs here) and bolted them on the end. Problem solved.

It is strong enough that I can hang my entire 200 pounds on the end without failure. I can lift 18" green logs that are 20 something feet long without problem.

:hmm3grin2orange: -Pat

Well, as for size, I don't work with anything bigger than 18" round. As for length, I'm guessing maybe 10'. I never really thought about it. I know there is a lot of force used and I wouldn't want to be using one of those posted earlier with a wooden handle. If the log is too heavy to lift, I cut to length than use the tool to roll the log and finish the cuts.

Keep in mind I'm just a homeowner and have nothing to compare it to.

reconsidering getting iron & oak metal peavey. it's all metal

I am biased towards wooden handled peaveys. The less metal around my chainsaw the better. My wooden handle has several cut marks in it, imagine if that was metal?!?! It's bad enough that I've hit the metal part of the peavey once lightly with the saw. I said...:censored:

Sure thing! I've got some wood to finish cutting and splitting when I leave work, so I'll get some pics up this evening.

Northern tool also has a skidder type devise that alows you too drag logs through the rough would it work on lifting cut rounds to put on the ole splitter,maybe with some sorta pully or something sur would beat hand pickin em up its like an old ice block pick :cry:

As far as Timberjacks go, I bought 2 "all metal" ones from Northern Tools a couple of years ago when they were on sale for like $19.99. One for me and one for my dad for Christmas. Not very good quality, we both bent or broke ours in the first few times of use (very thin steel tubing for what they are used for). I did however make my own from some scrap solid shaft I got from work using some of the dimensions from the Northern one. A great tool for cutting firewood. The homemade jack has worked great so far. That Iron and Oak Timberjack looks to be of good quality. If I were to buy one I would spend my money on that one.

reconsidering getting iron & oak metal peavey. it's all metal

I had an all metal one at one time. The little point that goes into the wood bent trying to roll a log. I guess its made outta real soft metal. Anyways I straightened it and sold it at a yard sale for $10...Rick

P.S...It was one just like in the picture above.

Northern tool also has a skidder type devise that alows you too drag logs through the rough would it work on lifting cut rounds to put on the ole splitter,maybe with some sorta pully or something sur would beat hand pickin em up its like an old ice block pick :cry:

thats a Pickaroon

Latest posts

Back