What additions are you making to your 2020 firewooding arsenal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do stoves count?

I found 3 blaze king stoves that are on a blow out due to the dealers inability to sell them after May 15th. I bought 2 of them, a Princess ultra for $2100 and a King Ultra for $2300.

My plan is to keep one and flip the other. The existing stove is scheduled to be sold on Sunday which is covering better than half of the price of the Princess.

Do stoves count?

I found 3 blaze king stoves that are on a blow out due to the dealers inability to sell them after May 15th. I bought 2 of them, a Princess ultra for $2100 and a King Ultra for $2300.

My plan is to keep one and flip the other. The existing stove is scheduled to be sold on Sunday which is covering better than half of the price of the Princess.

What's the reason for the May 15th cutoff?

EPA 2020 emmisions. Blaze King recertified their stoves and anything manufactured prior to 2020 can't be sold by a dealer.

Interesting. I knew they were pretty low emissions. Didn't hear about the recertification thing. A few of my friends have princesses, they seem like great stoves. Nice score.

Interesting. I knew they were pretty low emissions. Didn't hear about the recertification thing. A few of my friends have princesses, they seem like great stoves. Nice score.

I have a feeling a lot of manufacturers will be in the same boat.

Hearthstone has a hybrid stove scheduled to be released after May 15th if I recall. It looks like a nice design and on par with what Woodstock is doing.

I added this guy to my stable:
20200426_171235.jpg

Bought it from our buddy in Hungary (@David Major thanks again) as an MS-650 that was low on compression and would not stay running. I put on a new top end (used Mahle OEM jug, Hyway pop-up slug, Caber rings). Interestingly, when comparing the old and new slug, they are the same diameter. The old slug has "Italy" cast into the bottom, so I am assuming that it was a Meteor. Obviously, someone was already into this engine, but why the 660 top end? I'm thinking 1 of 3 things:
  • It started life as a 560 and someone put a 660 top end on it
  • It left Stihl as a 660 and someone replaced the top cover with one from a 650
  • Stihl went the Poulan route (where every Poulan 42cc and smaller has the same 42cc engine), though not likely
The exhaust side of the slug is shot (top ring is stuck). There are also some imprints on the top of the slug (pieces of a busted ring perhaps). There are also similar imprints at the top of the jug. The top edge of the exhaust port is also booggered up. Otherwise, the jug looks usable - probably no worse than a badly manufactured chi-com clone.

I also replaced the decomp (which was dead 3x over) and put on an AM "west coast" clutch cover. @psuiewalsh hooked me up with the 32" bar (thanks dude).

I suspect that the dying decomp leaned out the top end, created a hot spot on the exhaust side of the slug, and the ring(s) broke due to the heat. The rest of the damage is self explanatory.

I plan to add a full-wrap handle and the outer spike.
It's not really a 650 anymore, so I needed to add the go-fast sticker. :rock2:
20200426_171242.jpg

I had it in a 30"+ diameter piece of oak. There was a steady stream of chips flying out of it.

@James Miller - This is my 6 cube (ish) over powered, unnecessary, "compensation" saw!!!

I added this guy to my stable:
View attachment 822859

Bought it from our buddy in Hungary (@David Major thanks again) as an MS-650 that was low on compression and would not stay running. I put on a new top end (used Mahle OEM jug, Hyway pop-up slug, Caber rings). Interestingly, when comparing the old and new slug, they are the same diameter. The old slug has "Italy" cast into the bottom, so I am assuming that it was a Meteor. Obviously, someone was already into this engine, but why the 660 top end? I'm thinking 1 of 3 things:
  • It started life as a 560 and someone put a 660 top end on it
  • It left Stihl as a 660 and someone replaced the top cover with one from a 650
  • Stihl went the Poulan route (where every Poulan 42cc and smaller has the same 42cc engine), though not likely
The exhaust side of the slug is shot (top ring is stuck). There are also some imprints on the top of the slug (pieces of a busted ring perhaps). There are also similar imprints at the top of the jug. The top edge of the exhaust port is also booggered up. Otherwise, the jug looks usable - probably no worse than a badly manufactured chi-com clone.

I also replaced the decomp (which was dead 3x over) and put on an AM "west coast" clutch cover. @psuiewalsh hooked me up with the 32" bar (thanks dude).

I suspect that the dying decomp leaned out the top end, created a hot spot on the exhaust side of the slug, and the ring(s) broke due to the heat. The rest of the damage is self explanatory.

I plan to add a full-wrap handle and the outer spike.
It's not really a 650 anymore, so I needed to add the go-fast sticker. :rock2:
View attachment 822860

I had it in a 30"+ diameter piece of oak. There was a steady stream of chips flying out of it.

@James Miller - This is my 6 cube (ish) over powered, unnecessary, "compensation" saw!!!
20191212_160721.jpgI got one of those overpowered, unnecessary, compensation saws also. Parts are inbound to make it throw chips again. Oh and it makes the 7 cube mark lol.

View attachment 823131I got one of those overpowered, unnecessary, compensation saws also. Parts are inbound to make it throw chips again. Oh and it makes the 7 cube mark lol.
7 cube vs 5.6 with a go-fast sticker... it's going to be a close race.
Did you ever find a new flywheel for it, or are you fixing the cracked one?

Here's the MS460 cleaned up and assembled. New piston, saved the cylinder, squish set to .022", new rubber parts and replaced crank seals. Decided on a 24" bar with a full comp chisel chain. Gonna fire it tomorrow. Hope she runs good!

Got the whole story on this saw over in the chainsaw section. Thread is titled MS460 Saga. Just thought I would let you know if curious.

Thanks,
Lee

I used to drill 9" deep holes in concrete with air drills the size of 90# jack hammers to pull the old concrete sections for highway quickset patches. When the bit catches on the edge of rebar, it could spin you several degrees and bruise you up pretty good at times.

Latest posts

Back