What are the best climber pads out there

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damie236

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what are the best and most comfortable climber pads for Buckingham climbers. I'm currently using the standard L-Pads and to be frank my calves, shins and knees are killing me. So I want to make the right decision this time around. Any suggestions guys?

I would like to know what are the best and most comfortable climber pads for Buckingham climbers. I'm currently using the standard L-Pads and to be frank my calves, shins and knees are killing me. So I want to make the right decision this time around. Any suggestions guys?

I use velcro pads myself very comfortable and make sure the height is set on you're spikes just above you're calf muscle.

I make my own, started doing it 50 years ago when I couldn't

find any that provided the support I wanted. Closed cell foam between heavy leather, T shape 5" pad wrapping 3/4 around calf, extending down to ankle 3" wide. It would be sort of like Buckingham 3127 pad with 3128 shank pad all together.

I like the buck wraps with the steel inserts. If you have big calves, buckingham will custom make you some that have a 8" longer straps.

I've always been told that you pads and shank should be three finger widths below the bottom of your knee. I use the triple thick t pads on bashlin aluminum gaffs. Pretty happy with them

I find the aluminum pads quite comfortable, but one day i tried a buddys pair of gecko's and they are ridiculously comfortable.

Beyond Compare

Thanks guys I decided to get the Buckingham Big Buck Velcro Pads with the steel insert, I used them yesterday for the very first time and they're worth every cent. No twisting of the shank, no friction or pressure on my legs at all and the build quality is magnificent. Day one they paid for themselves, I'll certainly look after them and I'm more than certain they'll do the same for me.

Latest posts

Back