What are the most valuable collector saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than my 075 and 090, I don't collect saws or anything except wives for that matter. Collecting wives cab be quite expensive however so I quit collecting at 4.. Just cannot afford it anymore. My wife was a collector as well at 3. I'm 'Henry the 7th', not Henry the 8th. You all remember that song right, by Herman's Hermits....??

Wow, nice bunch of saws. Do you know if the cyl is 66 or 58mm on the 090G? I’m betting on 58mm, but it would be very interesting if it was 66mm.
Far as I'm aware all 090g saws that left the factory are 58mm. This one is factory original and has not ever been played with.

Mcculloch 3-25 type 1 October 1949 production.
20230523_161612.jpg20230528_113513.jpg20230528_113449.jpgPossibly the most scarce 1 man chainsaw in my collection. This saw also has some great early historical value far as 1 man chainsaw development. This is where rarity and demand do not come together as its a desirable saw to some but doesn't have the demand worldwide to demand crazy high prices. Far as I'm aware less than a handful of these saws have been found entirely complete with correct early parts and early style carburetor.

One of my buddies I do welding with sometimes has a rather large collection of Dolmar saws. Most are used however. He also collects Bultaco 2 stroke dirt bikes. Me, I collect Triumph and Norton's Problem is, I cannot afford to buy as many as I'd like to. Last Norton I bought, fully restored, set me back over 20 grand. It's a '67 high piped 750 with the rare oil in frame Metisse model. I'm afraid to ride it actually. If something happened to it, I'd be SOL so it's a trailer queen. Same with the Centennial Triumph Bonneville I have, it has a sidecar attached and like the Norton, just goes to shows. I consider them as an investment. Years ago I used to ride the Triumph but everywhere I took it, people had to put their mitts on it so I quit riding it.

Stihl bdn 1953 300cc
At one time I thought this to be a pretty scarce saw. Today I have a different opinion on rarity. This is still in my collection and will remain in my collection as the condition and originality of this kettensagen are quite good. This is in many countries a highly sought after 2 man saw and because of demand it gains traction in the value department. One thing to be noted is that 2 man saws do not have as large of a following as 1 man saws. My opinion is they are more highly sought after by a smaller crowd and the crowd is smaller because in reality there are way more vintage 1 man saws to be collected than 2 mans.received_426657656099935 (1).jpeg

One of my buddies I do welding with sometimes has a rather large collection of Dolmar saws. Most are used however. He also collects Bultaco 2 stroke dirt bikes. Me, I collect Triumph and Norton's Problem is, I cannot afford to buy as many as I'd like to. Last Norton I bought, fully restored, set me back over 20 grand. It's a '67 high piped 750 with the rare oil in frame Metisse model. I'm afraid to ride it actually. If something happened to it, I'd be SOL so it's a trailer queen. Same with the Centennial Triumph Bonneville I have, it has a sidecar attached and like the Norton, just goes to shows. I consider them as an investment. Years ago I used to ride the Triumph but everywhere I took it, people had to put their mitts on it so I quit riding it.
Did you happen to flip the the Bonneville by chance?

Stihl bdn 1953 300cc
At one time I thought this to be a pretty scarce saw. Today I have a different opinion on rarity. This is still in my collection and will remain in my collection as the condition and originality of this kettensagen are quite good. This is in many countries a highly sought after 2 man saw and because of demand it gains traction in the value department. One thing to be noted is that 2 man saws do not have as large of a following as 1 man saws. My opinion is they are more highly sought after by a smaller crowd and the crowd is smaller because in reality there are way more vintage 1 man saws to be collected than 2 mans.View attachment 1166039
My uncle has that exact saw, much worse shape and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been ran as long as I'm alive hanging up in his hanger at the airport. We've often talked about its value. he's usually very quick to say it's not worth much money, but worth a lot as a conversation piece.

Stihl bdn 1953 300cc
At one time I thought this to be a pretty scarce saw. Today I have a different opinion on rarity. This is still in my collection and will remain in my collection as the condition and originality of this kettensagen are quite good. This is in many countries a highly sought after 2 man saw and because of demand it gains traction in the value department. One thing to be noted is that 2 man saws do not have as large of a following as 1 man saws. My opinion is they are more highly sought after by a smaller crowd and the crowd is smaller because in reality there are way more vintage 1 man saws to be collected than 2 mans.View attachment 1166039
Beautiful saw, and really nicely displayed.
I have avoided two man saws generally for several reasons,, but chiefly because it takes so much room to store or display them. Your saws are very tastefully presented and it doesn't appear that there's a shortage of room--super super nice!

Beautiful saw, and really nicely displayed.
I have avoided two man saws generally for several reasons,, but chiefly because it takes so much room to store or display them. Your saws are very tastefully presented and it doesn't appear that there's a shortage of room--super super nice!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

My uncle has that exact saw, much worse shape and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been ran as long as I'm alive hanging up in his hanger at the airport. We've often talked about its value. he's usually very quick to say it's not worth much money, but worth a lot as a conversation piece.
You should go check as finding a stihl bdn stateside would indeed be a unusual find. Many different brand 2 man saws were made a a few copies from other manufacturers of this particular saw were manufactured throughout the world. If it is indeed a stihl bdn even in rough condition they have good value.

You should go check as finding a stihl bdn stateside would indeed be a unusual find. Many different brand 2 man saws were made a a few copies from other manufacturers of this particular saw were manufactured throughout the world. If it is indeed a stihl bdn even in rough condition they have good value.
The BDN is very are here and elsewhere. Many people listakely think a KS43 is a BDN.

1711911808023.png

Back