What are these tags?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyoming_Outback

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
BBF1322E-3DF4-4E50-8E75-EC1D673539FC.jpeg
I found a bunch of these when out running saws today, wondering what they are? All said and done, I found about 7 or so, and in a place that hasn’t seen anyone running saws for a decade or two, and just for firewood at that. (On National Forest)

And for what it’s worth, I only found three on live trees, rest were in dead trees. The ones found on live trees, the trees are pretty young, and the dead trees were much more mature.

Hmmmm….. I’m guessing monitoring tree health is the most likely scenario here. It doesn’t look like anyone really has cut out trees up here recently, but then again, maybe they were marked for logging and just not taken out back in the day. But monitoring tree health makes more sense. Doug Fir got hit hard back in the day.

They might could be trees on a forest inventory plot. Every few years (10 in these parts) crews go out and about to these plots and take new measurements and data on disease, or if the trees are cut, etc. It's been going on for a while, at least since the 1960s. The tags used to be put below stump level so the stump could be identified if the tree was cut. There should be a reference to the plot center also.

We actually were dropped off by helicopter to get to the plots. It was usually a very long walk out though. Made a lot of overtime from all the hiking. Also got an illegal, but beautiful helicopter ride in the midst of the North Cascades--up close to the peaks. It was quite the summer job.

I have marked trees for removal, and it's always been with paint. The folks cruising timber in the national forests I've worked in all used paint. You want something that the crew doing the cutting can see from a ways away. These tags are for people who know which trees they are looking for.

I think its for a study of some kind but its hard to say what that would be.

They're supposed to use aluminum nails and tags that won't damage chains or saw blades like steel would.

I have marked trees for removal, and it's always been with paint. The folks cruising timber in the national forests I've worked in all used paint. You want something that the crew doing the cutting can see from a ways away. These tags are for people who know which trees they are looking for.

They're supposed to use aluminum nails and tags that won't damage chains or saw blades like steel would.
Yes, paint is used for tree marking. Super secret paint that can be tested to see if it is the real thing. The super secret paint is kept locked up and one must sign away one's life to check it out. Audits happen to see that all is going according to protocol.

Tags for long term projects also will not be pounded in all the way so as to allow for tree growth.

Trees cruised for timber sales will have flagging and numbers painted on them so a check cruiser can check the accuracy of measurements. Rebar or a lathe marks the plot center if the unit is plot cruised, also so checking can occur.

Ya the tags and nails are aluminum. Very bendy.
I’m guessing that maybe the study is for avalanche stuff, ass this area is all in a slide path. Main reason I’m up there. Sheer boredom over the weekends and somewhere to cut lots of dead stuff.

Ya the tags and nails are aluminum. Very bendy.
I’m guessing that maybe the study is for avalanche stuff, ass this area is all in a slide path. Main reason I’m up there. Sheer boredom over the weekends and somewhere to cut lots of dead stuff.
seems a wee early to be mucking about in an avalanche zone, but then We got snow here last tuesday (its ******* april) and the avalanch danger is different here... when I lived in WY we didn't really play much in the mountainous parts, buffalo a bit, but mostly esterbrook canyon etc

They might could be trees on a forest inventory plot. Every few years (10 in these parts) crews go out and about to these plots and take new measurements and data on disease, or if the trees are cut, etc. It's been going on for a while, at least since the 1960s. The tags used to be put below stump level so the stump could be identified if the tree was cut. There should be a reference to the plot center also.

We actually were dropped off by helicopter to get to the plots. It was usually a very long walk out though. Made a lot of overtime from all the hiking. Also got an illegal, but beautiful helicopter ride in the midst of the North Cascades--up close to the peaks. It was quite the summer job.
This is the most likely explanation - either long-term inventory, or a research plot so that individual tree growth characteristics can be tracked over time. I’ve been working for the FS for the last 15 years and this is typical.

seems a wee early to be mucking about in an avalanche zone, but then We got snow here last tuesday (its ******* april) and the avalanch danger is different here... when I lived in WY we didn't really play much in the mountainous parts, buffalo a bit, but mostly esterbrook canyon etc
No one ever said I was a smart man. This area hasn’t slide recently. But just up the road, it slide three times in a day last week. But this area is pretty melt out.

View attachment 1075456
I found a bunch of these when out running saws today, wondering what they are? All said and done, I found about 7 or so, and in a place that hasn’t seen anyone running saws for a decade or two, and just for firewood at that. (On National Forest)
Just a thought. The tag seems to be next to a wound or possibly a diseased spot. Maybe they are watching its progress if diseased. Might check other tags to see if they are placed similarly on the live trees.
If 3852 is the tag # in sequence, there's a lot of tags out there somewhere. lol OT :cool:

Just a thought. The tag seems to be next to a wound or possibly a diseased spot. Maybe they are watching its progress if diseased. Might check other tags to see if they are placed similarly on the live trees.
If 3852 is the tag # in sequence, there's a lot of tags out there somewhere. lol OT :cool:
So there were three I found in live trees, and five on dead trees I found.

Back