What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bench-end crafting

I like a simple bench-end which won't break and doesn't compete with the beauty of the seat and back pieces (and doesn't eat too many hours of my time), thus the Polly Plastics. I have considered crafting a pair from a large (30 x 50) piece which has a few year's of drying yet to go. See the pic.

The bench-ends are made out of the same 2.5" oak with a mortice and tenon for the lower brace brace. I used lag screws for the back, going through the bench end upright and into the back piece from the back. I also used some 90 degree bronze finished shelf braces for the back and seat to make sure they're going to stay in place. All the hardware is either completely hidden or only seen if someone actually went looking for it. I thought about going the polly route to save time, but this was a learning experience as well, so I wanted to figure out how to make a base. Thanks for posting that pic, the measurements are definitely helpful!

IMG_5755.JPG IMG_5756.JPG IMG_5758.JPG IMG_5759.JPG IMG_5760.JPG IMG_5761.JPG IMG_5763.JPG Here are some pics of the interior of our house that I worked on for over 3 years. The kitchen table was finished today. The cabinets and built-ins are cedar milled from trees given to me, one a farmer friend that was stockpiling down trees on his farm and he got more than he needed so he gave me a couple of loads to clean them up. A few came from someones yard that they could not get anyone to cut and the rest from a cemetery when ever a storm comes thru.IMG_5755.JPG

Two cedar benches I recently finished:
42A509CD-FE01-4C5B-9DEC-E4A6DBE9720D_zpsh7opdyui.jpg

DA652AF9-2380-4CF8-9E09-C62ADCEB0A66_zps8ztxb1r0.jpg

56D96F3D-15C5-4666-AF7F-81B33870A368_zps6qp4yais.jpg

AB13497D-7C2E-4CFD-9C38-5904B5D44191_zpsnmodvewl.jpg

A39C90AD-2F4E-41E5-BF00-B41E5D9BAFCB_zpslpfrgxma.jpg

17FFCB2A-E3E7-491A-9239-DD9ADA6FFF6F_zps27une6hm.jpg

Not realy worthy of posting in here as I think you guys are true craftsman with timber!...Im only a hack when it come to making things out of the timber we cut but here is my new chook pen am just about done....I have to (try) and keep out Dog's/foxes/snakes/hawks/eagles/brushtail possums,crows/currawongs/wild cats/quoll . . .
Just translating for the 'merican members

chook = chicken
quoll = carnivorous marsupial native to Australia and New Guinea.

I agree with Jim Timber, it's a fine coop. I hope it does the job for you. Thanks to BobL for the help. One more question: What is that animal in the last picture? If it isn't a pet of some sort, which of the critters on the list is it? And you only had the camera to shoot it with? Hmmm, I see traps hanging on the wall too.

We helped with the final mill, they were rough cut about 2 hours away and then put in the kiln, After that we brought them to the house site and milled them down to final size. Were actually a lot farther than these pictures but haven't taken any recently.

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

Here are a few things I have built with wood I have milled myself.

A bookcase for my wife with elm, the panels are 5/8" thick. The sapele for the frames I bought. From a design I saw on the cover of FWW several years ago. This took me over a year to build. The shelves are veneered and each shelf has 25 pieces of wood in it.
P1010543.jpg

A simple shelf for holding some of my Hammond Glider tablesaw accessories in the shop. Cherry with catalpa, the catalpa back is a single piece, I had to go over to the shop of a friend who has a large bandsaw to resaw it.
P1040386small.jpg

A small shelf from oak, red cedar, and Port Orford cedar. I made this for a friend who helped me set the logs up that I mill.
smallCabinet9-OakPOandRedCedarI.jpg

This is a cabinet of maple with locust panels on the front. Inside is a shelf made of spalted cherry. I keep this one in my office.
smallCabinet3IV.jpg

This is a cabinet I made for my sister. It is one of my favourites. The figured maple door I did not mill myself. The rest of the cabinet is all wood that I milled, and which have some significance for my sister and I. For example cherry that our dad salvaged from a tree near where we grew up, crabapple from the tree in our backyard, arbutus from the property of a family friend, cypress from our aunt and uncle, etc.
smallIMG_4506.jpg

This cabinet is pear with a spalted maple door.
smallCabinet5III.jpg

Japanese style toolbox with a sliding lid. Catalpa.
DSC03908_zpse656ee0c.jpg

This was a fun little frame and panel I did several years ago as a gift. I shows 15 different woods that I have milled at the beach log dump, with an alder frame. This is the only picture I have of it, I completed it but do not have a finished photo. Don't know if I can remember all the woods in it: catalpa, red cedar, yellow cedar, Port Orford cedar, Monterey Cypress, London Plane, Manitoba Maple, locust, maple, oak, cherry, ?
IMG_3021_zpsfddc73e0.jpg

These bookmatched pieces of walnut will be for my brother to build guitars and dobros.
b03654e9-8f62-4cf8-a736-ebde70be05b2_zps79519e1d.jpg

a2e2f2cc-9ac2-4f94-931e-28d91d78e8a2_zps0c6a679f.jpg

I really enjoy seeing you guys art work. Don't have much talent for the fine stuff, but I'll post some pics of my latest project to keep the thread fresh and chum some of the real talented guys to post.
The steps I salvaged from an old cannery cookhouse tear down for my cabin finally gave out so I put this little porch together. Alaska yellow cedar.

P4030778.jpg P4030779.jpg P4030780.jpg P4030782.jpg P4030783.jpg P4030784.jpg

This was one of my last years projects. I re-decked the trailer solid. I have to turn the plane sideways to get it up my driveway, and straight on to launch and retrieve.Full dimension yellow cedar 2x12. Some of the extra wood milled here is what was used for the porch in the previous post.
P5080039.jpg P5080030.jpg P5080040.jpg P5090052.jpg P1070017.jpg P1070059.jpg

Back in '09, I started a thread about milling some maple from a tree that had fallen up in the woods along the property line. (http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/playing-with-maple.114588/) Unfortunately the images have all gone away. Here is what things looked like back then.

Maple1Small.jpg

Maple2Small.jpg

It's been air drying for a few years now, and I've finally gotten around to doing something with the wood. Here is a table I recently finished. The two boards along the middle, the breadboard ends, and the walnut bow-ties are "store bought" wood, but the rest is stuff off the woodlot. The legs where hewn old school with an ax and slightly cleaned up with a draw knife The "feet" are downed branches from an old maple we used to tap as kids, so a bit of history there... :)

Table1_small.jpg TableTopSmall.jpg TableLegsSmall.jpg

Latest posts

Back