What are your COLD weather gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love my nice pair of carhart winter gloves i have they never fail me have a pair in the truck and house they are the real puffy ones they run ya about 40 bucks ar bobs

Kinco's thinsulate gloves with the knit wrist work the best for me. If I'm pounding nails or cutting wood; thats all I wear:clap:

I just double up, usually the cloth ones from TS

:jawdrop::any glove that keeps your hands dry will do the job ,but if you want the best winter cutting experience pop for a saw with heated handles ,will run you 50to70 bucks over the price of a reg saw worth every penny . hands get cold runnin the splitter just stop and cut some more ,feel the heat ,the gloves dry while youre working . i have 3 jonnys of diff sizes that i use only when its cold if your hands are happy the work is not a tedious task stay warm

Awhile back Steve in Wisc. gave a short review on the newfangled vinyl/rubber palmed knit gloves that run around 5 bucks.

They work OK I guess, they wear well, but they seem to transmit the cold right through the rubber coating, and I just can't seem to get the paws warm in them.

So, it's back to wearing holes in the insulated leather Wells Lamont gloves sold for 9 Bucks a pair at the Hardware/Saw shop. Once they get enough Hydro on them, they are reasonably water proof and plenty warm as long as you're moving and getting frothed up. They just get eaten up at the splitter and woodpile. The Insulated Canvas backs with double palms are great for stacking and splitting, but then ya have 3 pairs of gloves flopping around all the time..

If it gets Nasty Cold I'll break out the Leather choppers with polypro liner gloves, or Mil surplus finger Mittens with heavy wool liners.

I have been looking for the "It" glove for winter as well, and there seems to be none so far. The warmest ones wont hold up or bunch too much, and the gloves that should be perfect aren't warm enough. LOL!!!

Good luck with your quest, and make sure to post any reviews ya might have of what you try.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Awhile back Steve in Wisc. gave a short review on the newfangled vinyl/rubber palmed knit gloves that run around 5 bucks.

They work OK I guess, they wear well, but they seem to transmit the cold right through the rubber coating, and I just can't seem to get the paws warm in them.

So, it's back to wearing holes in the insulated leather Wells Lamont gloves sold for 9 Bucks a pair at the Hardware/Saw shop. Once they get enough Hydro on them, they are reasonably water proof and plenty warm as long as you're moving and getting frothed up. They just get eaten up at the splitter and woodpile. The Insulated Canvas backs with double palms are great for stacking and splitting, but then ya have 3 pairs of gloves flopping around all the time..

If it gets Nasty Cold I'll break out the Leather choppers with polypro liner gloves, or Mil surplus finger Mittens with heavy wool liners.

I have been looking for the "It" glove for winter as well, and there seems to be none so far. The warmest ones wont hold up or bunch too much, and the gloves that should be perfect aren't warm enough. LOL!!!

Good luck with your quest, and make sure to post any reviews ya might have of what you try.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I use the rubber palmed knit gloves at work (Dry ice plant) I can usually wear 1 pair through the whole night cutting dry ice blocks. Most guys have to have 2 pair of gloves on at 1 time to work with dry ice. The gloves are awesome AFTER your body temp rises from a good hard pace. After breaks it's very hard to get the gloves to cooperate because of the sweat. I also wear very similar gloves while cutting/splitting/stacking/handling wood and have not wore out a pair yet.

Rubber palmed gloves are so much easier on my hands because i don't have to squeeze at all to grip a split of wood. Leather on the other hand, i cannot wear anymore due their inherint slippery texture. Running the saw is ALOT easier as well, i just have to keep reminding myself not to losen my grip too much in case of kickback.

Work Gloves

Take a pair of the brown cotton gloves , put them inside a pair of those sueded looking work gloves with the big cuffs and they will keep your hands nice and warm.

I keep a pair made up like this in my work jacket. I use them when gathering up wood from my stack to load in a wheel barrow then take it to the porch for stacking.

Only bad thing about this is getting them wet. They'll soak up snow or water pretty fast.

Nosmo

I have a pair of gauntlet style snowmobile mittens with a rubber/asphalt palm that I picked up at a goodwill in Wisconsin. The mitten part has a separate pointer finger so you can operate things with triggers. The gauntlet has a pull cord to snug it up around the jacket sleeve about 6" past the wrist.

I can only wear these once we get to single digits otherwise my hands sweat badly. They rock for running heavy equipment but I am afraid to use them handling wood b/c I can't find replacements.

Yeah, I tried those for some splitting for the first time yesterday. It was in the low 20s, with a good breeze. Wind chill was 9 (F). They did fine as long as I was moving well. Really, they were great under those conditions. But sitting? Not so good. Good grip on the frozen firewood, though. Beats any leather glove by a mile in that way.

So, it's back to wearing holes in the insulated leather Wells Lamont gloves sold for 9 Bucks a pair at the Hardware/Saw shop.

Get the pigskin from Northern Tool. They outlast regular cowhide by a mile. Cost a bit less, too. Waterproof them with Sno-Seal.

Check out your local TSC store. They sell my prefered cold weather glove, its a rubber palmed, knit glove as you describe BUT its also insulated. The lable clearly says "Cold Weather". The only problem seems to be finding them, I think they sell out of them as soon as they hit the shelf. Next time I see them in stock I'll pick up a few pairs, that should last me a few years if I don't lose them.

As cold as it gets here, which is warm compared to most of you, I've found the Atlas Thermafit to be a good economical glove that provides adequate insulation and decent wear for the money. I like them because if they get wet and dry out they don't get stiff like leather.

I guess it depends on what I am doing. I have a pair of Grandoe gauntlets that I use when I am out running equipment and such. They are great in the very cold. I also keep a pair of leather work gloves stuck in the inside of my north slope coveralls for when I need a bit more dexterity out of my fingers.

Check out your local TSC store. They sell my prefered cold weather glove, its a rubber palmed, knit glove as you describe BUT its also insulated. The lable clearly says "Cold Weather". The only problem seems to be finding them, I think they sell out of them as soon as they hit the shelf. Next time I see them in stock I'll pick up a few pairs, that should last me a few years if I don't lose them.

Found a pair of those insulated rubber palmed, knit glove's at Lowe's (believe-it-or-not). They weren't warm enough, so I put another pair of thinner gloves inside. A real PITA because I've always got to get them off-n-on to (un)tie knots for climbing, rigging and tarp lines ,etc., etc. Also, those Stihl flip caps are kinda 'fiddly' with thick gloves so off they come when refueling, too. To 'off-n-on' doubled gloves more than a once causes swearing.

Stopped by TSC this morning a got two pair of Schmidt® Insulated Heavy Canvas Waterproof Work Gloves (pic below). The ones in the store were a little different than those online: black with pvc palms (not leather) which might grip rope better, hopefully. They've got 80 grams of Thinsulate - which should be plenty. The've also got a nice 'velcro' wrist strap to keep out wood chips.

I plan to keep one pair warm under my coat and wear the other ... swap them when my hands get cold. To test them, I drove home with my newly gloved hand out the window (18º @ 40mph). My hand stayed pretty warm but people kept waving ... go figure!

7733353.jpg

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If your talking about the gloves I think you are, (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2ZMF2?Pid=search) I wear those in the summer. Get the cotton wet and they cool great, plus, the cotton holds the water to keep you cool.

I have a pair of plain, leather driving gloves from grainger for about $5, under those, I wear wool liner gloves from the outdoors place for about $15. The leather protects the liners. the wool liners insulate and dont mind a bit of moisture.

I have tried several of the latest "high tech" insulations. Wool seems to work the best when your outside and active.

Last edited:
Kinco's thinsulate gloves with the knit wrist work the best for me. If I'm pounding nails or cutting wood; thats all I wear:clap:

These gloves are by far the best I have found. I go through a pair a winter but for $12 a pair that is ok. My hands are never cold.

I wear the insulated rubber palmed gloves at work (carpenter) and while doing any other chore outside during winter. They do not work as well once your hands start to sweat. I have kinda solved this problem. I have three pairs, when one gets wet I switch pairs. I keep them in a soft sided cooler. Every night i bring them in and to dry by the fire, then in the morning put them in cooler. They do seem to stay some what warmer this way. I just have to remember to bring them in every night. This seems to work for me any way.

I have noticed that each person at work has there own particular glove that works for them. No one else likes the kind I wear.

If I am working, my hands don't get cold. I just wear cheap leather gloves that I got for $.65/ pair. I don't even wear insulated boots. The other day my boots were soaked though, but my feet were warm. I work in conditions down to 0 without problems. Guess I am lucky. If I try to sit in the cold without working, I freeze my arse off no matter how many layers I have on. That makes hunting in a stand a PITA for me.

Latest posts

Back