What are your COLD weather gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are your COLD weather gloves? UPDATE

Stopped by tsc this morning a got two pair of schmidt® insulated heavy canvas waterproof work gloves (pic below). The ones in the store were a little different than those online: Black with pvc palms (not leather) which might grip rope better, hopefully. They've got 80 grams of thinsulate - which should be plenty. The've also got a nice 'velcro' wrist strap to keep out wood chips.

I plan to keep one pair warm under my coat and wear the other ... Swap them when my hands get cold. To test them, i drove home with my newly gloved hand out the window (18º @ 40mph). My hand stayed pretty warm but people kept waving ... Go figure!

7733353.jpg

update:

they work good enough. I wear them all day in the snow cutting, splitting, hauling stacking firewood. As mentioned, i bought two pair - one under the coat - wear the other & swap as needed. Only have to do that when doing light work. For heavy work, they're almost too warm - no need to swap.

They have a water proof liner! If your hands sweat - they will get wet inside and you need to dry them by the stove for the next day.

However, mind you, they're cheap gloves. I do all my splitting with a maul and i split one seam between the thumb and forefinger. But, the pvc palms are way easier to sew up (5 min) than the leather palms. Repair and other seems held up well ever since.

I used them on a pruning climb yesterday (not very cold; 25º, 20mph, 40' above a ridge) - worked great - plenty warm - good grip on the rope and other gear.

However, contrary to some 'kindly worded advice' (lol), i did have to take them off to tie and untie my throwline. No worries - my hands were plenty warm.

They are certainly better gloves but two pair for $20+ = good enough. Keep a needle and thread handy though ... They do have chineeeeze seams!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back