What are your firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used the 291C for the 1st time today. Not impressed with it much. Whole saw is just to jiggly and a pain when trimming branches on cedar posts. The bar is loosy goosy when pushing against dead branches, I'm hoping it's just worn rubbers or something. Chain also came loose and fell off 4 times, last time it bent the chain. I like the power but that's about it. I would never buy the Easy adjust or whatever they call it chain tightening system again. Of course I'm not gonna sell it or complain to my wife about it either. The 260 is back and running good. The screws for the handle were all loose too. Maybe if I only had 3 saws I would take the time to fix them instead of just grabbing another one. haha, I made a joke.
IMG_20160915_153047.jpg IMG_20160915_173756.jpg

Firewood season is almost here. Here was my pre-season opener - red oak 40" at 6 1/2 '.

Due to the weight I could only haul tree sections at a time. First load with first , third and sixth sections (in background). Placed towards rear of trailer - easy to dump but tongue was too light for my tastes. Next load was second, fourth and fifth sections. Loaded directly over tandem but too heavy to dump - had to pull top log off with tractor. Rest of tree was cut and given to our Firewood Ministry.

IMG_1799.JPG

Saws used - 1st three sections: Pro Mac 800 33" bar, full comp 3/8ths RS Stihl & 8 pin. All else: WWS MS 361 20" bar, full comp 3/8ths RS Stihl & 7 pin.

IMG_1794.JPG

Ron

A few years ago, I had a saw, 026P, that wouldn't start. I took it to a dealer, I hadn't dealt with. The following day, I got a call letting me know the saw was only out of gas and ready for pickup, no charge.
Out of curiosity, I ran the saw dry and took it to two other dealers, with instructions to diagnose the problem and call me before making any repairs. One shop was honest and let me know it was out of gas. The other said the saw was shot and offered me $25 trade on a new saw. The shop that tried to take advantage of me was the one I'd dealt with in the past and had bought several pieces of equipment from. When confronted, the owner had no explanation. I haven't been back and bad mouth the guy to anyone who will listen.
POS

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

There's no better combo than a good 50cc/70cc for firewood cutting IMHO. I prefer the 346 and 7900 myself.

Anything a 70cc can't handle is really too big to be worth messing with and hauling around. If it's too small I leave it be as well. 60cc saws are still likely my least favorite size saws, too big to be a small saw, too small to be a big saw.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
If you could only have one though a 60cc would be best size IMHO.

Husky 550XP, Dolmar PS7900 and a 009 for around the house.
I know you guys like pic's so here's some from a recent trip to the bush.

Note my business shirt... :laughing: Setting fashion trends in the Aussie bush

View attachment 526390

View attachment 526405
That wood just looks rock hard! It takes a real man to cut wood in what looks like a pink dress shirt!

A harsh environment like ours calls for a pink business shirt :omg:

I built that trailer during my last year at high school as an industrial arts project. Got it hot dip Galvanised, its 20 years old and as good as new. Don't even think about buying a painted trailer, Gal is the only way to go, the money is worth it. I think this will last another 50 years as long as its not involved in an accident.

Picture of yourself spitting woodchips while wearing a Pink Dress Shirt = MAN ! :clap:

In all seriousness long sleeve business shirts a great for working in hot sunny conditions as they breath well and prevent sun burn.

Another point in all seriousness..... Don't go posting pictures of yourself wearing a pink business shirt on a 'man's man' chainsaw forum :surprised3:

In all seriousness long sleeve business shirts a great for working in hot sunny conditions as they breath well and prevent sun burn.

Another point in all seriousness..... Don't go posting pictures of yourself wearing a pink business shirt on a 'man's man' chainsaw forum :surprised3:
They work great for fishing in summer heat too. Flip up the collar to greatly reduce sunburned neck too.

Back