What are your firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for my fire wood needs, my 362 c-m is great. I have a couple more saws, but they are smaller. The 290 with the muffler mod gets the job done too. I'd like a bigger saw, but can't justify buying a bigger one. At least not yet.....I'm tyryng though!

I've been cutting for a long time, prior to AS membership as a one saw man.
1979 - 1981. McCulloch PM 510 16". 38cc
1981 - 1999????. McCulloch PM 700. 20" later 28". 70cc
1999???-2010. Stihl 036Pro. 20" later 25". 62cc
AS - present. Multiple 82cc MACs with every bar size from 20" to 33"; multiple 59 to 62cc Stihls with 20 and 25" bars; and multiple SP125Cs 123 cc with 33 to 54" bars.

Recent use has changed from this order: 82cc MACs (70%), 60ish cc Stihls (25%) and 123cc MACs (5%) to 35%, 60% and 5%. Reason: a sweet WWS MS 361.

New season begins soon for me. We will see if the trend continues.

Ron

I have 3 husky 55's, two with 20in bars and one with a 18in bar, I also use a husky 365 with a 20 and 24in bars. I think the 55's are probably the most underated saws out there. Plenty of power for firewood trees, and light enough for trimming. I mostly use the 365 for bucking and anything that requires a 24in bar to fell. Seldom do I wish I had more power, but it does happen.

80% of what I cut is handled by the 5100s, and 5105 before I got rid of it. The MS460 comes out to play when a) I want to throw on the 20" bar and eight pin rim and throw some chips and grin or b) the wood size necessitates the 28" bar. Usually it's a.:chainsaw:
Both saws usually travel with me to cut because **** happens.

for my fire wood needs, my 362 c-m is great. I have a couple more saws, but they are smaller. The 290 with the muffler mod gets the job done too. I'd like a bigger saw, but can't justify buying a bigger one. At least not yet.....I'm tyryng though!
CAD will take over and youll get your bigger saw.[emoji6]

Primary saws 90% , Dolmar 64xx and 79xx a pair of each ( up grades from dolmar 112 and 116si) still have the 112 and 116si, Limbing there is a little Echo and 112
on the other end of the scale is a 084 with a 42" bar. Combined pretty much handles everything I have run into. had a 075 for a while sold it as I didn't need 2 units in about the same class on that end of the scale. Would love a Dolmar 90xx Couldn't climb the price when they were available- likely still can't.

Primary saws 90% , Dolmar 64xx and 79xx a pair of each ( up grades from dolmar 112 and 116si) still have the 112 and 116si, Limbing there is a little Echo and 112
on the other end of the scale is a 084 with a 42" bar. Combined pretty much handles everything I have run into. had a 075 for a while sold it as I didn't need 2 units in about the same class on that end of the scale. Would love a Dolmar 90xx Couldn't climb the price when they were available- likely still can't.

Apparently they can be had shipped to the US from Amazon UK for under $900. I guess there's a couple of sites that can ship them here. A member recently got one that way. It sure would be a nice saw to have!

There's no better combo than a good 50cc/70cc for firewood cutting IMHO. I prefer the 346 and 7900 myself.

Anything a 70cc can't handle is really too big to be worth messing with and hauling around. If it's too small I leave it be as well. 60cc saws are still likely my least favorite size saws, too big to be a small saw, too small to be a big saw.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

028 in skid steer or tractor cleaning up deadfall from pastures and on fences. Small stuff gets dumped on burn piles. Big stuff gets moved log length to a pile. Then 046 and 660

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

My ported, modded sthil 064 with 28" and 32" bars that I bought new in 95 has been my main firewood saw until this year, acquired a husky 51 with 20" bar that was being thrown away just needed a starter cover. Been using it mostly this year, really impressed with this little saw. Also been using a recently acquired 440/044 with 28" bar . My favorite saw is still the 064 though.

We have 30+ saws in our business , for small felling and limbing I generally use a Husky 560xp , for medium to large trees it's a Husky 372 or Stihl 460/461 , bigger stuff it's Husky 395 or Stihl 660 and for monsters we have one Stihl 880 .

My all time favourite saw for light work is a Husky 242xp , what a ripper !!

I started in business in the 80's with a Husky 61 and three bars 13" 18" 24" and a box of chains .

The 61 is a great saw. I fixed up a parts saw 2 years ago and gave it to my sister's husband for Christmas. He was so excited to use he about carved the turkey with it gaha!

028 in skid steer or tractor cleaning up deadfall from pastures and on fences. Small stuff gets dumped on burn piles. Big stuff gets moved log length to a pile. Then 046 and 660

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Do you have some type of bracket to hold the saw on the skid steer? I'd love to see pics if you do, I've been trying to come up with something.

I run a 361 and an 026 with a Picco B&C for firewood. Been doing that formula for over 7 years now. Here is a photo of the older formula that I replaced, a 361 and an 025 from about 10 years ago. I swapped out all my 025s for 026 saws and never looked back. A few years ago I flipped to large mount Picco bars on my 026/260 saws and that is the cat's meow, as my dad used to say.

Cat scan.jpg

I must have posted this photo here a dozen times now. That cat is still alive and well and living with me. The Ford I left with my ex on the sheep ranch. I wish I had that load of madrone today! Best firewood around here.

Latest posts

Back