What brand is your main firewood saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand is it?

• Total voters
Have a cs-590 Echo I like, but wood on the ground I use my Homelite XL-12 with a bow-the best!!! These 2 and 1 more from the heard to exercise it. Could be mac 10-10, old sears gear reduction 1/2 chain,husky 435, monark wood lot wonder in my id at left,poulan 361 or 25da. homelite 330----------------------------------------------------------- How many saws do you have---Just a few I say:innocent: David--People just don't understand

I wonder how many people have changed their preferences sense this thread started.
I prefer Dolmar. the 6100 and 421 make it enjoyable. until I have to split and pick up all the wood.
No preference change on my side!
My Dolmar's get the job done and are pleasant to run. :heart:

I don't even mind splitting, large diameter oak splits easily, any knoted stuff gets noodled.
I split with an Axe. :chop:

I do hate stacking the split wood! :mad:

As my Signature indicates, I am still all Dolmar! :chainsaw:

The ms361 has been my go to since 2007. In fact it was my only saw until 2013 or so. If I'm headed into the woods for firewood it's what I have in my hand, the ms024 doesn't leave the trailer. The only time the poor 024 sees action is when I know what I'm gonna be cutting and it's less than 10" dia. Usually a single tree or limb that has come down in a storm. It also pulls Christmas tree duty! :yes:

I have lately using my 066 most of the time but before i got that one it was always the unpredictable 280 and my granddads 021 what i still uses because the 280 is back to the stihl dealer for another fix [emoji23]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A510F met Tapatalk

MS 291 going on 4 yrs. It put's a smile on my face every time I use it. Full chisel slices 6/8 " Oak like butter and the 20" bar makes my back happy. It also starts every time on the 2nd or third pull even w a broken pawl I have to jiggle to get it to catch. I'll fix it when it stops catching. I'll be using it today maybe get some pics of the big Oak that Matthew blew over in a field a half mile from the house. Lucked out as the landowner graciously gave me permission to cut it up and it is easy to access.

As I get older, the lighter saws are looking better and better. The little Echo CS352 is sure light and handles a lot of what I need to cut. But every once in a while the old 362xp with B/B 372 P&C is still required. Here my son is putting it to work on a big old oak that he had taken down professionally in his yard... It's a good thing it was hollow in the middle or the 24 inch bar would still have been a little short.20161209_142035.jpg

Big saw big wood
f599084f6c7cacb37ff0afde682bc1af.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

MS 291 going on 4 yrs. It put's a smile on my face every time I use it. Full chisel slices 6/8 " Oak like butter and the 20" bar makes my back happy. It also starts every time on the 2nd or third pull even w a broken pawl I have to jiggle to get it to catch. I'll fix it when it stops catching. I'll be using it today maybe get some pics of the big Oak that Matthew blew over in a field a half mile from the house. Lucked out as the landowner graciously gave me permission to cut it up and it is easy to access.

1222161529.jpg
1222161628 (1).jpg
not quite seasoned, some foam bubbles out the cut ends, but it burns nice and slow and splits easily. All those hanging limbs make cutting logs fast and easier than cutting on the ground, already took 2 loads before the pics.

Stihl 026, 260, 036, 360, 362, 044, 440, 460 and 044/460 hybrid, the 066, 070 and 090 only when a tree big enough requires it. Firewood, building lot clearing, powerline right of way clearing and woods work, nothing more dependable than the Stihl saws.

Stihl 026, 260, 036, 360, 362, 044, 440, 460 and 044/460 hybrid, the 066, 070 and 090 only when a tree big enough requires it. Firewood, building lot clearing, powerline right of way clearing and woods work, nothing more dependable than the Stihl saws.
I am sorry but whatever

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

The longest serving saw in the lineup has been the MS290 (with 3/8" conversion). Yes, it's slow and heavy, but apart from an oil pump and regular maintenance it has never needed anything. Black locusts learned to fear it. :laugh:
In very early 2013 I added to the lineup an MS231 as a gardening/light duty saw. As the use was meant to be occasional, I didn't splurge for an MS241. Damn surprising saw, I ended up using it far more than I expected: it cut quite a lot of firewood in this short timeframe.
A few weeks back i bought a brand new MS362 but I haven't used it yet, as firewood season starts in late January/early February here and it's been cold but not snowy, hence no need for cleanups. One of the neighbors "may" need to take down a few trees shortly however... ;)

I think I just bought my new favorite saw this week. Stihl ms440 artic. Also, the Dolmar 421 is a delightful little guy.

For big wood the MMWS 660 always makes me smile.

Latest posts

Back