What Carb is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Im having a brain fart and cant figure out what this is? Its actually off a 4 stroke trimmer and the check valve is no good.
2c7f4a264cf231dbf9bf6a7c328b4d0d.jpg

Sure, that's the only one I had available. I will post more Asap. Thanks harley

So it is a Walbro. 229 I believe. Should of looked before posting. Nothing like putting the kart before the horse.
502ffa2704d428dd8108fc95a768979f.jpg
d896f6f07ef9e7e1b8baf2587b8b68f9.jpg
66d70baf80c9a4d66e9f45a9793205de.jpg
a44ea03b6ecba16d17de4c383e31b1aa.jpg

Its actually off one of these cub cadet 4-stroke trimmers with the multi attachments. Bought it just to see how these were designed and of course needed to be repaired.
I personally would never want to own one to use because they are way too heavy. 2 stroke all day.

Its actually off one of these cub cadet 4-stroke trimmers with the multi attachments. Bought it just to see how these were designed and of course needed to be repaired.
I personally would never want to own one to use because they are way too heavy. 2 stroke all day.

I gotcha. IMHO the only 4 stroke trimmers any good are stihl and maybe dolmar. I don't have any experience with dolmar. I had a honda 4 stroke trimmer I bought used. It ran for 10 minutes before it lost compression ( I think a valve problem). And I still prefer 2 stroke. I have an ancient echo trimmer and it always starts on the first pull. Same with redmax trimmers even the newer ones. I have a like new stihl fs110 and it's good and a stihl fs280 that has a ton of power and dolmar trimmer the same size and the stihl. I also have a stihl fs410 but it is total overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotcha. IMHO the only 4 stroke trimmers any good are stihl and maybe dolmar. I don't have any experience with dolmar. I had a honda 4 stroke trimmer I bought used. It ran for 10 minutes before it lost compression ( I think a valve problem). And I still prefer 2 stroke. I have an ancient echo trimmer and it always starts on the first pull. Same with redmax trimmers even the newer ones. I have a like new stihl fs110 and it's good and a stihl fs280 that has a ton of power and dolmar trimmer the same size and the stihl. I also have a stihl fs410 but it is total overkill.

Lets see that FS410. :drinkingcoffee:

Same carb the Ryobi 4 strokes use. I picked a new one up on amazon for 10$ last week. The factory carbs are preset and non-adjustable. Aftermarket you can adjust both high and low needles with a small flathead. Its a Walbro WT229 I believe. Good little carb for trimmers. Alot better than the Zama's Ive been seeing lately.

I actually ordered one off fleabay. Looks like it had a screw adjustment in the picture, see what they do when it arrives. But since its a 4 stroke i do t think ill be messing with them as a two stroke

4 strokes are easier to adjust, as long as your valves were set correctly. set the low until it idle's smooth, set the high until it runs like a scalded dog, then do a combined adjustment to get it where it revs smoothly with no lag. Run it hard for about a minute at WOT (dont let go of the WOT, just hit the off switch, if you let it idle it will change the plug reading a bit), then turn it off and check the plug like you do on an old car. Most of the adjustments are just like old car carb's.. if you want to be gucci, jerry rig a wideband O2 sensor to the exhaust hahahah.

Oh, the high speed adjustment needle is in the center of the pintle that the throttle cable attaches too. Low speed I think is the fat brass screw underneath the fuel line ports. I didnt have to adjust the low speed on mine, idled smooth as silk out of the box, but the high speed needed some love (couldnt run it without partial choke at first)

I will admit I prefer 2 stroke as well, but when using the brush blade the torque from the 4 stroke makes a world of difference. Dad's stihl 2 stroke with the same blade takes a lot more throttle to cut through brush than my old POS Ryobi 4 stroke, same goes for some of my attachments like my sickle bar pruner. For running the string trimmer head though and my leaf blower attachment head, the 2 strokes rpm's are still king.

It's not a WT. Check for letters such as WYJ, WYK, etc. Almost 100% certain it will have 3 letters. WT look more like the walbro pics above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back