What caused this 064 to blow up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sealed bearings have a seal that prevents more filth, moisture, etc. from entering the bearing than a shielded bearing that has openings allowing for filth, moisture, etc. or other stuff to enter the bearing. There is often a gap between the shield and the inner race, no friction from the interface like there is in a sealed bearing, friction galore comparatively speaking.

Is shielded and sealed 2 different things or 1 and the same?
The terms are used interchangeably here, but the above post has it right.

As Doc and others said, Stihl tried these shielded bearings for a while. I have an 036 with ‘em and have rebuilt 5-6 1125/1122s where I removed them. Some had nasty build up around the shield and seals; others seemed totally fine.

Pioneer Guy knows exactly what happened and is watching this thread and just waiting to see the responses! @pioneerguy600 alright man weigh in already!

Hey Wolf, I get more kicks out of watching and reading posts from others these days, yes I know what happened but since knowing what won`t fix the damage I just keep stuff under my old hat. I could load a half ton with busted crankcases and know what damaged each one. How many chainsaws have I worked over since 1965.? Even I would like to know that number.

Latest posts

Back