What causes dying on sustained load?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't checked the plug. I'm hoping the Sea Foam treatment cleaned it up again. It seemed to be a little stronger in the cut the last I ran it.

I'll report back in a few days after I try to use the saw again. Thanks again for the feedback.

Had this happen on a saw yesterday and yes it was starved for fuel because the filter kept getting stuck by the cap.

Seafoam you can not expect miracles from a bottle of special sauce.I do not think any bottle will repair holes in diaphrams or clean the fine screen filter in the carb or set the metering height but I have used seafoam I think the alcohol in it limbers up the rubber diaphrams.
I have the recipe for making it at home but it is at my remote residence and I will not get there till ice is gone.I will put some in a saw that I know was running well when I put it away but has sat unused for a long time.If it works or not I am not too concerned as it is cheap to make.
Kash

I have had similar problems caused by the fuel pump diaphragm becoming stiff and not delivering enough fuel to sustain full power. Of the 3 in most kits, the black rubber one delivers the most but is prone to early stiffness, the tan coloured one (teflon) is the best compromise for delivery and lifetime. The acetate one should be thrown out.

My little tree saw (Dolmar 3410TH with reed box) seems to run fine for short cuts -- plenty of power, good throttle response, seems to run fine -- but if I put a sustained load on it, for example, if I try to buck up a 6" log, it dies as if it's starving for fuel. I can sometimes keep it going by "pumping" the throttle trigger, but usually not.

Is this commonly a symptom of a particular problem? What would you folks look at first? Fuel filter...?

Sometimes the reed box gets "loose" and it exhibits symptoms of a borderline air leak where you can't fatten it up enough to get the WOT RPMs down and the proper flutter/burble sound...I'll check that. Anything else?
I had this happen to me, and I talked to a saw shop about it, and they asked what kinda fuel I was running? And of course like all guys I said that’s not the problem my fuels good, turns out it was winter fuel and air is different in the fuel from winter to summer,If you got some good high-octane premixed fuel in a can ( the STIHL moronic)I bet your problem would be gone,It worked for me☺️, hope this helps,

The formula was given to me by an old timer he said he figured it out from an old MSDS sheet many years ago.I have been mixing so many different formulas over the last couple of years I dont want to steer any one wrong until I check my book.I THINK Napatha and alcohol were two of the three ingredients but can not be sure of lucky number 3.
Kash

Search Dyi sea foam formula.

You just have to mix them together and store them. Its easier to remember as the 4-2-1 method. 4 parts pail oil, 2 parts Napatha, 1 part Isopropyl Alcohol. I just use a measuring cup and store in a 1 gal container.

Lots of recipes via google.

So I search and I get a myriad of answers.
I wish I could again run across the paper written by a high-level motorcycle tuner. His formula contained acetone. The windowpane kind. Or maybe some other blotter-type, idk.

Latest posts

Back