What chain and bar for 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphbsz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Northern California, Santa Cruz Mountains
I'm about to pull the trigger, and order myself a Dolmar 7900. The purpose of the saw is firewood cutting, mostly oak and madrone. Occasionally it will have to clear out a doug fir or redwood, and those occasionally get pretty big. It will do all the stuff for which my current main workhorse, a Stihl 026pro with its 20" bar is too small or too weak. Probably it will be used quite heavily for bucking; for felling, trees under 15" or so I will still do with the 026 (just because its lighter and easier to operate). If it isn't obvious, I'm a weekend warrior - just one that spends a good fraction of each weekend out in the forest.

My local Dolmar dealers are a tad sleepy (to put it very mildly), so the saw itself will come from one of the usual suspects here at AS. This is the first time I'm buying a saw powerhead only, so for the first time I have to make choices about bars and chains myself. This is where I'm looking for advice.

Bar length is easy: I'll usually set it up with a 28" bar, which is a good compromise between being able to do most of the work and keeping the weight low. I'll keep one 36" bar and a few chains around, for the rare case where something really big comes around. I was planning to use .050 chain on both; either regular or semi-skip on the 28" bar, and maybe full skip on the 36" bar. Chain will be round chisel cutters (easier to sharpen, with file or Dremel tool). Bar and chain will probably come from Bailey's.

Big question: Does this sound sensible? For a casual user like me, is there a big difference between Oregon and Windsor (or other!) bars, and between Oregon and WoodsmanPro (or other) chains? I don't want to start a religious war here, just get something sensible and easy that gets the job done.

One stumbling block: It seems that 36" bars are only sold in .063 gauge, not in .050 gauge. Is .050 chain too weak to run on such a long bar? Should I go to .063 chain for both 28" and 36" bar? Does gauge really matter that much on these bar lengths?

cool man
.050 does work on any applacation,although tooth configuration should change with a bar length over 24" I use Oregon's LG from 16" to 20" bars. 28" and 32" bars I use Oregon's JG

I would avoid the Cannon/Woodsmanpro because they weight quite a bit more than most other bars.
Oregon is perfectly OK for the price.

If I read your post correctly you are comparing the Oregon chain to the Woodsman Pro chain and if I'm correct on this one I believe the Woodsman Pro chain is made by Oregon anyway but I'm sure somebody from Bailey's can confirm this for us. :popcorn:

If I read your post correctly you are comparing the Oregon chain to the Woodsman Pro chain and if I'm correct on this one I believe the Woodsman Pro chain is made by Oregon anyway but I'm sure somebody from Bailey's can confirm this for us. :popcorn:

Bailey's Woodsman chain is Carlton...but SawTroll was talking about bars, anyways.

nothing that long

On my 7900:

I run stihl chain I don't know if someone else makes it or not but it seems to hold up better than windsor or carlton.

The bars I run are gb ti (from wojo) and a tsumara total super bar. I currently have no need for anything longer than 24" fwtw.

Since you have a relationship at a stihl dealer why not try to continue it with the bar an chain purchases.

get the power head from whom ever and give the bus to the local guy. spread the money around a little.

Dolmaratos i think is the handle of a dolmar dealer on here that is a super nice guy.

Kevin

I'm all Oregon/Blue Streak chain here!. Cannon makes a great bar ran them from 16" to 42". They custom built me a belly bar a few years ago for a 088(Thanks Dan).I switched to GB about four years ago for the $ factor with out losing quality!! Check out Baileys closeout, for Carlton's pro champ which are Griffiths&Beerens
As far as Cannon adapter plates I try to stay away from. Here are some slot rings that I make.
IM000795.jpg

IM000796.jpg

IM000797.jpg

Here is the chuck I use to make them with.
IM000799.jpg

Back