what chain to run on 028??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttin-4-heat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what do you guys think would be the best chain to run on my 028super?
cutin mostly oak, cherry,walnut,locust all for firewwod. i have a 18in rollomatic on it. 7 pin sproket. just wonderin what i should get when i get a new chain.

what do you guys think would be the best chain to run on my 028super?
cutin mostly oak, cherry,walnut,locust all for firewwod. i have a 18in rollomatic on it. 7 pin sproket. just wonderin what i should get when i get a new chain.

I use .325 RSC Stihl chain on my 028 Super. In my opinion, 3/8 isnt right for this saw. I would recommend .325 .063 7-pin Stihl RSC or RSC3 chain for clean wood, for dirty wood RMC or RMC3.

I agree!

Do a muffler mod, re-tune it. You will be happy.

Yeah Baby! Muffler mod woke up my 028S!!! I took out the inner cage, and removed the whole louvered area at the outlet and made it a square hole. It sounds weird, but runs well.

i have already done a muffler mod on my saw. i cut the inside cage out and opened up the back side of the muffler i also cut the louvers out and welded on a piece of pipe to bring it out above the side cover. it really did wake it up a good bit but i think i may have ground too much out of the inside of the muffler. either that or i just havent got i tuned in to the sweet spot yet. but yes the saw has more power and faster acceleration. i ordered a carb kit and fuel line+ filter and impulse line to give her a good tune up. what is the best plug to run i always ran ngk plugs but that is not ehat it calls for.

i have already done a muffler mod on my saw. i cut the inside cage out and opened up the back side of the muffler i also cut the louvers out and welded on a piece of pipe to bring it out above the side cover. it really did wake it up a good bit but i think i may have ground too much out of the inside of the muffler. either that or i just havent got i tuned in to the sweet spot yet. but yes the saw has more power and faster acceleration. i ordered a carb kit and fuel line+ filter and impulse line to give her a good tune up. what is the best plug to run i always ran ngk plugs but that is not ehat it calls for.

i run bosch works good for me

I modded the muffler on my 028AVSEQ and cleaned up the ports and piston a little. This saw is now a little ripper, and is happy to run a 16" ES bar with 3/8RS on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I modded the muffler on my 028AVSEQ and cleaned up the ports and piston a little. This saw is now a little ripper, and is happy to run a 16" ES bar with 3/8RS on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is that square hole over 3/4 ", I have ported 3 of my 028`s and found that if I go over 3/4" round hole I can`t get enough gas through the carb to get to four stroke burble. I then changed all my mufflers to the 028 Super style muffler and drilled out all the 1/4 " holes in the grille and that works great both for tuning and its not too loud but really wakes these saws up. I did the same thing with my 028 Super and boy does that saw rip.
Pioneerguy600

A sharp 0.325 chain will work well

I've tried both 0.325 and 3/8 inch chains, and I would go with a sharp 0.325 inch chain.

I've used both .325-7 and .325-8 rim sprockets with those, and both work fine.

+3

I've switched to the .325-8 sprockets on both saws, and I didn't really think about how frequently I fill up the gas -- I'm usually ready for a short break by then anyways. Logically, you would get 8 revolutions for every 7 with the smaller sprocket.

Latest posts

Back