What coil is this???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
These are the numbers of the coil in my "basket case 084". I pulled it apart today to check, because there's two different coils listed for the saw, with different timing on the flywheel required to match the coil.

The numbers I took off the coil don't match EITHER of the numbers the service bulletin shows for this saw. It is a Bosch number however, and I don't know if that's the number stihl uses or not.

Coil (bosch number) 2 204 222 114
Trigger unit (bosch number) 1 217 280 113

Has someone put a coil out of another saw on the laminate core in this one??

If so, what is it? rev limited or not? ( That's the difference between the two listed coils)
Service bulletin shows 1124 400 1306 or 1124 400 1308.

Well, I'll have to check later, but maybe I can tell you what you're after without the numbers. The saw I put together I would bet was very close to teh end of the run for 084's. See thru tank, new style gas caps, etc. The parts saw (that the coil came out of) was a LOt closer to teh start of the run. Opaque tank, old style gas caps, etc. Just to throw a monkey wrench in the works, the PO told me he "changed the carb to get rid of the rev limiter". I'm thinking (maybe) someone put a different coil in the saw for him, but I don't know if it's the official update or something else.

I've never seen an 084 with a 2 piece coil - ie. with a separate trigger. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but... With the SN (s) I can beat up on my stihl tech contact to find out what was correct at the factory.

Can you take a picture of your existing coil/trigger?

Page 13 of the 084 ipl on "Giftsofwood" shows what looks like the same setup. Trigger unit 1118 400 1001 and coil (ignition module) 1124 400 1308

Still haven't got around to the serial number..............

The trigger unit 1118 400 1001 is one of the commonly used triggers on everything from 009 to 084... and TS 510 and a bunch of weedeaters.

Any limiting action will be in the trigger, not the coil - the coil is just dumb. The trigger unit 1118 400 1001 is not limiting.

I have Stihl tracking down the Coil/Bosch numbers.

You might have have misread the IPL the -1306 and -1308 do not use an external trigger...

Thanks. If I get a chance I'm going to have a look at a couple of other saws to see what I can see. I've got an 034S and an 064 here, and a BUNCH more at work.

PWB said:
Thanks. If I get a chance I'm going to have a look at a couple of other saws to see what I can see. I've got an 034S and an 064 here, and a BUNCH more at work.

Both the 034 and 64 use the std 0000 400 1300 coil (with internal trigger)

Looked at a few at work today. All saws the same vintage, theft replacements in 1998.
026, 034, 038, 066, and TS400 cutoff saw all had coils with internal triggers. They all had "STIHL" marked into the coil, not Bosch like I've got in the 084. Looked like they all took the same laminate too, other than the TS 400. The 084 uses a different laminate core, takes three screws.

Yes, the saws you list are all internal triggers. When I said 009 to 84, I meant to say "the prior generation of saws (009, 11,12, 31,32,41,45 etc etc) had the external triggers.. Your coil is a 1124-400-1305... with the 1118 trigger.

It's not speed limited.

Good to know. I can just tune the carb by ear then, and not worry too much about getting too lean a setting because of the rev limiter, right?Haven't played with it much yet, still set on the rich side because I was a little afraid of leaning it too far.

PWB said:
Good to know. I can just tune the carb by ear then, and not worry too much about getting too lean a setting because of the rev limiter, right?Haven't played with it much yet, still set on the rich side because I was a little afraid of leaning it too far.

Yes, a rev limiter wont be an issue. Still tach it though to make sure... These big saws can easily overheat at high RPM/lean (stihl tells me the limit on the 084/088 is set by piston/cylinder temperature). Stihl wants it 11,500-12,000. They seem to sound pretty good at this level.

Back