What do I have here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a later model SXL. Has the hand guard, heat shield. Likely has the blue electronic ignition module that are prone to failure. Only weak point on that saw. I’ve had many. Just picked up a slightly older one than yours from a guy in town C4151012-C64F-4637-A75E-D51F000D2CF0.jpeg

Wow, I'm glad to know that this is a time-honored saw--thanks for the information. A neighbor gave it to me, along with a Homelite 150. He has since passed away, but I'm pretty sure I'll always be grateful to him for the gift.
Starter pawl springs are coming, so may be able to fire it up soon.

Just a few from the collection recently cleaned up.

c914b8188986337e1babbed714e9cf6e.jpg

It’s a later model SXL. Has the hand guard, heat shield. Likely has the blue electronic ignition module that are prone to failure. Only weak point on that saw. I’ve had many. Just picked up a slightly older one than yours from a guy in town View attachment 903449

That Super EZ is a BEAUTY of a saw

Post up some pic's of the flywheel and clutch side with the covers removed?

If it's the electronic ignition type we can tell you how to do a cheap fix ($20)of replacing the magneto module.

Here are the side pics...definitely the blue coil, but I started it today and it ran very well. Think it will make a nice addition to the fleet.

Attachments

• Homelite Super XL clutch side.jpg
    Homelite Super XL clutch side.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Homelite Super XL flywheel side.jpg
    Homelite Super XL flywheel side.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Here is some info you might want to file about a $15 Blue coil of death replacement modification I did to a Homelite EZ. This will give you a $15 backup mod procedure if your fails. Some places sell the NLA available Blue coils of Death at around $100 and some of those have been baked in the oven and are not reliable.
This mod worked out great on couple of my EZ's. My EZ's did not have a points lobe on the crank and at first before the buys on here gave me mod info I installed a points Wico flywheel and a points coil and a chip to replace the points, but the chips are not reliable. You can read about such at the link I posted here.

Homelite EZ blue coil of death mod

For $15

Replace the COIL module but use the Original blue coil Homelite lamination core. (or a Wico/Prestolite points coil lamination core)The Wico/Prestolite points coil is epoxied (glued) to the laminations and will be ruined during removal. (so you will have to sacrifice the coil during removal if you are going for a core lamination)

You may see a Homelite core part number 68555 but it will not fit due to the center core post being too large. It’s for a Phelon coil.

The Anzac is more user friendly to install (press on) on the core than the Stihl due to the location of the kill terminal.

I've installed a $15 Anzac 503901401 Module onto a EZ Blue Module coil A94111 coil core lamination and got a good run.

Can use a Stihl Module Stihl #0000 400 1300 Module

Link to review a post about such
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/homelite-super-ez-ignition-questions.348570/page-3

Latest posts

Back