What do some people expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's wrong with wheeling and dealing? I'm sure we all do it, or should. That's the American way. Now A great deal should be taken, it's insulting to wheel and deal on a great deal. If she doesn't like the price, to bad. I would sell for more, never could understand how people could make money selling firewood. The way I do it, it would have to be 5-6 hundred $$$. Still would be worth more to keep it, to me.

I'm sure you reflect the more positive denotation of "wheeler-dealer" as a shrewd or clever businessman. I was referring to the more negative denotation of a businessman who uses trickery or less than honest schemes to achieve his goals.

What's wrong with wheeling and dealing? I'm sure we all do it, or should.

I don't and won't.

If the goods are as advertised, I'll pay the asking price. If it was advertised as "runs" and it can't run long enough to load on my truck, we'll talk -- been there, done that. This past weekend's purchase soon as he pulled the cord and I heard the engine I started counting out the cash. Of all the snowblowers advertised (probably looked at close to a 100 ads) there were only two I called about, and one had been sold.

If the price is too high, I just keep looking for someone who is asking a fair price.

Tried a local dealership for a car I bought a couple years ago. They had their price, I told them mine which was well researched and fair. "Oh no, we could never do that..." Ok.

They called me back a week later saying they thought we could make a deal. "Sorry, went to a dealership 50 miles away the next morning and bought a car there."

I don't ####er and I'm not going to waste my time ####ering, and if you get your rocks off haggling for a deal you'll be sorely disappointed if you ever try to buy something from me. If you know what a fair price is for what you're buying, the deal will be done quickly and without drama.

I had some lady call me for 3 cords of wood today? I sell it for $200 a cord(seasoned oak, ash, maple). And delivery would be extra. She lives about 40 minutes from me. So I told her $600 for the three cords and I wouldn't charge for delivery because I like to give a deal for multiple cords. She was annoyed because I am charging $200 and it's not all oak. I am in the middle of what people charge around me. There are definitely people that charge $150 per cord and there are people who charge $250 or $275 per cord. I feel like she's going to find someone cheaper cause there's always someone that will undercut you. I do a lot for my customers. I always give them more wood than they order and I always load the wood into my front end loader by hand so I don't get any stone or soil in their wood. I try my best to give people there moneys worth. Guys in the firewood business do you think I should've given her a better deal? If there's anybody in my area (Bucks County) I definitely want to know what you guys think.

stick with your $200. i get that can you give me a deal if i buy more.i tell them it cost me as much to process 1 cord as it does 3.ask her if she gets a discount at the gas station if she buys 10 gallons instead of 5.stick to your price. the next customer will be glad you had such good wood at a decent price.BTW i'm in york co.

My problem has always been, people compare my price (for 16" lengths) to that of people who sell 18", or even random. Trying to explain why it costs more to produce a cord of wood in 16" lengths is painful.

My problem has always been, people compare my price (for 16" lengths) to that of people who sell 18", or even random. Trying to explain why it costs more to produce a cord of wood in 16" lengths is painful.

Try 14 inches max.

That really stinks. I have one very dear, long term customer with a Morso 2B that will not take anything longer than 14 inches. As this elderly lady can't fight to fit wood in, I've developed my process to where I cut her wood 24 inches, split it, and then cut the splits in half. I really do wish she would buy a new stove.

Take Care

I cut most of my wood 14". Many newer stoves have smaller fire boxes and people seem to like using shorter pieces.

I know some people always think they are owed some kind of discount, seems the standard CL business model is to offer something less than the listed price.

I've gained some patience over the years, and removed quite a bit of aggravation from my daily grind. I don't sell much, so I am never going to struggle finding buyers for my wood. With this new found patience, I have no problem saying no to crazy offers and discount fishing expeditions. People buying fire wood strictly on price don't know what they are missing. And, I have not made it my mission to teach them.

The tree business is no different people always want something for nothing. People get a few estimates and they want you to match or beat the lowball they got from Jose and Jesus with the cardboard sign on the telephone poles at stop lights. So i give our estimate and they pull out a piece of paper that looks like it was torn off a McDonalds's bag and ask if i can beat $250 for a $2500 job.

Latest posts

Back