What do you do for work in the winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the snow we've been getting lately I'd figure plowing snow would be a goof option if you could get enough contracts. A lot of guys do well around here.

if I have work to do it gets done, it's never been to cold here for me to work, well, there was once when it was single digits all day, we started to but never made it out of the lot.

keep working and plow when the snow comes. speaking of which i just woke up from a nice little 24hr day in the chip truck myself.

i love getting paid cash for plowing. even if it is blood money.

After years of watching the squirrels I put away acorns the other 3/4 of the year so I dont have to worry about some time off. The snow plow business in this area is so cut throat that the newbies will jump in and do it for half price and by the time they figure it out most of the season is gone anyway.
My wife works out of our home, mostly, and I spend most time trying to stay outta her hair. So I dedicate alot of my time, on the sled, searching for the perfect cheeseburger.

Living in Western Montana where you can get shut down from one day to four months, we do the "acorn gathering". Budget.

We, personally, don't want to HAVE to go out in single digit weather in a foot of snow. So we make sure our expenditures and payments can be handled during winter lay off months. If the weather breaks, we go out and work. Otherwise, we use the time to recoup.

Sylvia

Lmao dirty.

I suggested to the crews who were on my st napping across from my driveway they get a small propane heater and close off the back of the chip box, set up some hammocks. Intenational cabs are too small for a few burly men to rest in.

I didnt get on the ball with snow work so im missin on the pennies from heaven =[

if I have work to do it gets done, it's never been to cold here for me to work, well, there was once when it was single digits all day, we started to but never made it out of the lot.

Come on up here on the hill, seems like the wind blows non-stop till early summer . I have worked in zero degree weather but unless i have to that wont happen anymore. I am very jealous of you flatlanders atleast until summer than I grin at ya.

Come on up here on the hill, seems like the wind blows non-stop till early summer . I have worked in zero degree weather but unless i have to that wont happen anymore. I am very jealous of you flatlanders atleast until summer than I grin at ya.
when your eyeballs freeze open then it's time to go inside........lol

The cold is one thing that usually does not slow us down in this area fortunately.
The landscaping goes on all year. Winter is the perfect time to put up fence cause I don't have to deal with the insane heat. All the other landscaping inlvolves starting some projects now and finishing in the spring/summer (i.e. lay the pipe and heads now then sod in the spring). The tree work slows to a crawl. Occasionally I get a blow down form the satanic winds here. Once or twice throughout winter a tree will fall from ice, but usaually we don't get enough snow or ice for that to happen. If the weather goofs decide it is going to snow 4" or more I go to the city (Amarillo) 1 hr south of me and stay at my dads place. then get up at 5 a.m. to go push snow at the walmart's with buddy using his silage and hmc tractors. Then come back 2 days later after we do all the walmart's he has contracts with. its good money. Other than that I work in the shop or breed the snakes.

Last edited:
We prune, and do removals all winter. Only time we stay home is if the roads are too bad to get the trucks around in. Winter is the best time for removals! Ground is frozen and you can get away with driving the Bobcat with the grapple just about anywhere, no need to worry about messing up lawns. :)

:greenchainsaw:

Justin, it that what happens when you drive it to the strip club? ya wake up in the back? bet it's warm, anyway.

:crazy1: :crazy1:

lol.

if i was plowing rt1 i could stop at the tittie bar but i am on rt2. lol

man i spoke way too soon. my truck didnt want to make today's snow storm. only got like 4 hrs on the clock. pissssssed. missed out on several hundred bucks. brand new f550 too. gotta be kidding me.

Sit and wait for spring. Last we my partner suggested that we may want to do some winter jobs. I suggested he go stick his tongue to a cold chainsaw bar. My thermometer is reading 2 degrees right now.
Phil

This year I'm not doing too much unless we can keep getting jobs off the storm. I have a plow truck but haven't nailed down any good contracts for myself so I just ride around with my buddy helping him with his for some extra cash. Hopefully word will get out in the coming years that we also plow and that will bring in some winter $. Can't say I dislike the little break though.

We had 6 degrees this morning with the winchill around -15 to -20 wind 30 to 40 mph. If you guys ain't climbed in this before, well it is an experience. Also you got any video of you breeding snakes? I never seen that before .:)

lol.

if i was plowing rt1 i could stop at the tittie bar but i am on rt2. lol

man i spoke way too soon. my truck didnt want to make today's snow storm. only got like 4 hrs on the clock. pissssssed. missed out on several hundred bucks. brand new f550 too. gotta be kidding me.

What, it broke down? No start?

Back