What do you do for work in the winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feed the fire, stare at the dog, drink beer and watch my acorn supply dwindle.
And then the phone rings and I've gotta chisel everything off, go out there and b!tch like a little girl - I hate winter and so does the equipment.
I just looked at another crane job, nasty short Tulip about 40" DBH (bigger at the roof peak where it forks) and litterally 6" from the roof peak and picture windows. Oh and its got a deck built around it and a septic right off the trunk (and under the deck).
I come reffered so I've got a good chance of getting this one. I would definately have to use two slings on those trunk cuts...even then I dont know...
Picture worthy for sure. If I get it this would be the one to post. I walk in the house, go in the living room, look at the picture windows and all I see is Tulip trunk...NICE!
I think I'm going with $3500. Gotta get off this site sometime today and write it up and send it out, lol.

What, it broke down? No start?

i am thinking fuel issues. was running fine all day, we pull into the state yard for a break, short nap later we go back out and my rig wants nothing to do with pushing......last time around anyway so after that i have to limp back to the shop.

i pushed in a different truck until L showed up and booted me out of his after not being able to trouble shoot the f550.

in fact i am just going to blame the new 6.0 ford diesel engine for being a turd.
maybe he should have been plowing rt.1 :cheers:
you are right about that! lol

hey mds...let me know about this one. if you have tman show up too we could turn it into a party.

Yeah oldirty, that would be quite a crew, lol. You guys could share a room, smoking of course.
I thought about you on this one already, "the dan" is pretty far away I dont know if it would be worth it for him...although I'd sure love to see those beekeeper goggles in action, lol.
The realty broad is still talking to me after I sent the estimate so I'll let you.

freeze our butts off is what we did this morning, 15 degrees and wind chill of
6 degrees, it made it to 38 I think today......

Didnt top 20 today. I dragged brush in the morning, loaded logs into the trucks, and then when that was done and cleaned up I did a quick pruning job on a flowering cherry. :cheers:

And.......my face is windburned as all hell. :p

Didnt top 20 today. I dragged brush in the morning, loaded logs into the trucks, and then when that was done and cleaned up I did a quick pruning job on a flowering cherry. :cheers:

And.......my face is windburned as all hell. :p

Sounds like fun! I think I'd rather be poor. The only cold I enjoy is my High Life's.

For about 20 years I used to drive a oil delivery truck. Worked out good, went to work for them when I got done doing tree work in mid Dec. to late March. I had an easy route and spent more time working on my equipment and getting parts than delivering oil. Best thing it was on their time. They didn't care as long as I got the work done. Later on when I was better off money wise I took the winters off and bought and fixed up brush chippers and stump grinders and sold them. I actually did that for a few years after selling the tree service. Now just playing with my antique cars.

Man,I feel for you guys. If it gets down in 40s or low 50s down here,dont do too much,Especially with a north wind blowing 30-40mph . That's about the only time it gets that cold here.I really don't know how you guys work in that stuff.Not fit for man or beast.
Most of our winter days are mid 60s or so.Aaaaagh ,then you can get some serious work done. Even with the loss of a few hours of daylight,seems like we can get double the work done.
Yeah, it's a trade off...summer time and it will be upper 90swith 95% humidity every day.I really don't know how we work in this stuff.Again,not fit for man or beast.

Yeah oldirty, that would be quite a crew, lol. You guys could share a room, smoking of course.
I thought about you on this one already, "the dan" is pretty far away I dont know if it would be worth it for him...although I'd sure love to see those beekeeper goggles in action, lol.
The realty broad is still talking to me after I sent the estimate so I'll let you.

Let you what man? Let you what? Yeah it might be tough but I am not looking for the motherlode, I am digging for fire.
I would enjoy working with you and I sure as hell wouldn't waste anybodies time but there is no way in hell I am sharing a room with that dirty old buzzard;)

Last edited:
you guys planning a party / job, don't forget me and my band of merrymaking maniacal tree magicians. we're coming up after the new year to rape and plunder the north, get a little payback for Sherman. :chainsawguy:

and show y'all how it's done.;) ;)

What the hell, I'll bring a 400 hp tub grinder.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Let you what man? Let you what? Yeah it might be tough but I am not looking for the motherlode, I am digging for fire.
I would enjoy working with you and I sure as hell wouldn't waste anybodies time but there is no way in hell I am sharing a room with that dirty old buzzard;)

Oh, sorry dan, I meant "I'll let you know".
I was in a rush, had to run out for some BS.

Oldirty and you would fair just fine dan, dont you worry - CRAW!! CRAW!!, lol.

you guys planning a party / job, don't forget me and my band of merrymaking maniacal tree magicians. we're coming up after the new year to rape and plunder the north, get a little payback for Sherman. :chainsawguy:

and show y'all how it's done.;) ;)

What the hell, I'll bring a 400 hp tub grinder.:hmm3grin2orange:

Looks like the poplar is going to be a breeze, to bad Mds ain't going make a dime with all us blood suckers showing up. I hope he has a big house. Hey, Mds, don't get cheap on the thermostat either. You got cable?

Looks like the poplar is going to be a breeze, to bad Mds ain't going make a dime with all us blood suckers showing up. I hope he has a big house. Hey, Mds, don't get cheap on the thermostat either. You got cable?

i dont know what they got at that super 8 dan... just like up in a tree you are on your own up in the NE, lol.

We'll see if any of this stuff comes through for real, and then talk serious.

Slayer, I'll keep you in mind as well.

I dont think you, the dan and oldirty would fit well in one room at the Super 8. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back