What do you do for work in the winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know what they got at that super 8 dan... just like up in a tree you are on your own up in the NE, lol.

the only two states I enjoyed in the middle east was NH and Maine.
I would go back if I could ovoid PA,Delaware, NJ,Ct,Ma, just my perspective oh I forgot upstate NY was not bad either!

Last edited:
the only two states I enjoyed in the middle east was NH and Maine.
I would go back if I could ovoid PA,Delaware, NJ,Ma, just my perspective oh I forgot upstate NY was not bad either!

Most of CT sucks, with the exception of the northwest corner if you ask me, and even at that I've had to live here 99% of my life to find it tolerable.

Most of CT sucks, with the exception of the northwest corner if you ask me, and even at that I've had to live here 99% of my life to find it tolerable.

Yep I forgot I went through it too stayed ovenight at worchester then through Hartford. They were better than Jersey, I never want to see that place again rude sobs. I almost got jailed as I was about to give some lessons out to a cashier and the wife got between me and him!

Last edited:
Dropped an Ash on saturday and have about four/five cords to cut/stack from it. Didn't want to work this winter but just sort of happened! I have trouble saying no to work! Maybe if I go south for the winter:hmm3grin2orange:

Dropped an Ash on saturday and have about four/five cords to cut/stack from it. Didn't want to work this winter but just sort of happened! I have trouble saying no to work! Maybe if I go south for the winter:hmm3grin2orange:

Ehhhh come on down feller but remember mind your manners:monkey: It is a warm 20 degrees tonight from last nights' teens feels like spring!

other than the occasional storm work,

i still do welding and mechanic work.work around the house,get equipment ready for spring.

i don't plow with my trucks but i would with someone elses.i won't even buy a truck that has ever had a plow on it.

We work all winter. But if the roads suck I don't take the trucks out. Not worth risking an accident in bad weather. We will split firewood or take the day off..... Mike

You must get sick of us Southwest Winers "Oh, it's snowing or raining or the wind is blowing - We can't work...the oil ...gas must aw froze up in my saw ... my hair's in my face-can't see what Im Cuttin,,,my saw wont start on 1st,2nd3rd pull" src="http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq56/w-lovetrailleader18/Chainsaw-1.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>[/IMG]
you can probably find us posting lots on auto-ignition thread...
GOOD GOD YA'LL...Do all the real men & women live in NY (Upper)?

Too cold today....

well it's 9 am and the temp has risen to -2 F . Tried to get the truck to start but diesels don't start when it was below -10 F at night. So no work today. Worked yesterday cutting some big locusts that had partially fallen across a driveway and the owner couldn't get a fuel delivery. But I threw in the towel today. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. Washed one of my ropes last night. Holy crap the nasty water. Looks 1000% times better. Good to get the grit out too. Good time for equipment work. Stay warm.... Mike

Well I lost the Spruce crane job to Bartlett. I said 3500, they said 2500+ grind stumps. The crane was 1200 alone so go figure.

Actually it took me a few minutes to figure it out. They saw us there and low balled it thinking of all the other raping they would do with the landscape architect latter on pruning all those crap trees. Either that or they figured I'd low ball it.

Those guys think long term, thats how they do it. Me I dont play those games, job is job. F it! Too cold anyway - at least I pulled just under 4 grand out before they got there with thier mexicans, lol.

Still, a crane job + stumps for 2500! and getting rid of the wood?? At a giant shack like that? Grrr....

Last edited:
well that sucks Tree MDS. They probably have lower overhead without paying taxes or workers comp on those mexicans. Sure wish the Gov't would crack down on stuff like that. there is a landscaping comp here that has 3mexicans one beat up old dump and the owner lives in a mansion. Makes me sick. But not much you can do.... Mike

Ehhhh come on down feller but remember mind your manners:monkey: It is a warm 20 degrees tonight from last nights' teens feels like spring!

Hey rope,i have a cousin lives outside of beebee. Does a few trees,mostly stumps though.Said he's been on a 2day job for the last 5days now brrrrr .
I was out there in june,and again in oct,very nice weather then.Nice state,i really enjoyed it.
Don't think i'll be there again til march or so.It should be nice again by then ?

well that sucks Tree MDS. They probably have lower overhead without paying taxes or workers comp on those mexicans. Sure wish the Gov't would crack down on stuff like that. there is a landscaping comp here that has 3mexicans one beat up old dump and the owner lives in a mansion. Makes me sick. But not much you can do.... Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm sure bartlett has comp on them wetbacks, thats not the point. They pulled a fast one to save a HUGE account, thats all.
Hey when you dont have to sharpen all the saws, grease everything, chisel all the ice off, climb the damn tree yourself, who cares if it saves the account! Right?? Send in the mexicans, still make a little.
My landscaper buddy that takes care of the place said the owner said my price sounded fair and he was just waiting for bartlett to get back to him with thier price - which everybody figured would be higher.
Nice move if you think about it...still I aint gonna do a crane job in winter and grind stumps for 2500 or less, just aint happening.

Thanks Mike, I'm sure bartlett has comp on them wetbacks, thats not the point. They pulled a fast one to save a HUGE account, thats all.
Hey when you dont have to sharpen all the saws, grease everything, chisel all the ice off, climb the damn tree yourself, who cares if it saves the account! Right?? Send in the mexicans, still make a little.
My landscaper buddy that takes care of the place said the owner said my price sounded fair and he was just waiting for bartlett to get back to him with thier price - which everybody figured would be higher.
Nice move if you think about it...still I aint gonna do a crane job in winter and grind stumps for 2500 or less, just aint happening.

I just try to take the lowballers in stride.Keep your head up.The way i look at it ,they will be too busy working on pain in the butt job,to get to the gravy jobs that comes along . like you said ,f it.Let them suffer with it if they wanna do it for nothing.
Cut throats are everywhere

I just try to take the lowballers in stride.Keep your head up.The way i look at it ,they will be too busy working on pain in the butt job,to get to the gravy jobs that comes along . like you said ,f it.Let them suffer with it if they wanna do it for nothing.
Cut throats are everywhere

So using your summary where is a gravy job, I mean really; economy has produced nothing but shoppers so either you go bankrupt or? I have had
to use some of my retirement to just make the year and will likely ask my
accountant if the effort is worth the result, or if I am just prolonging the
inevitable. Funny thing many customers love my work and reputation but
want it cheap and when I tell them I usually am working for nothing, it doesn't even get through. Most people have no idea what trying to survive means in small business when our elected officials undermine their best efforts with illegal third world labor. I wish they all new, so maybe some sort of revolution could stop this ludicrous carnage of tax paying honest hardworking American's.

So using your summary where is a gravy job, I mean really; economy has produced nothing but shoppers so either you go bankrupt or? I have had
to use some of my retirement to just make the year and will likely ask my
accountant if the effort is worth the result, or if I am just prolonging the
inevitable. Funny thing many customers love my work and reputation but
want it cheap and when I tell them I usually am working for nothing, it doesn't even get through. Most people have no idea what trying to survive means in small business when our elected officials undermine their best efforts with illegal third world labor. I wish they all new, so maybe some sort of revolution could stop this ludicrous carnage of tax paying honest hardworking American's.
I know what your saying man.It's getting tough all over.By gravy i meant something other than [tree surounded by deck,6in from window,septic tank in drop zone,crane job etc etc ,.}
I'd just rather stay home ,and not make anything,then bust a$$ on job that pays total crap.
Didn't he say quotes were 1000$ apart?

I know what your saying man.It's getting tough all over.By gravy i meant something other than [tree surounded by deck,6in from window,septic tank in drop zone,crane job etc etc ,.}
I'd just rather stay home ,and not make anything,then bust a$$ on job that pays total crap.
Didn't he say quotes were 1000$ apart?

I assume your referring to my other crane job, I'm still hoping for that one. This was another one, I was hoping for a quick two kill/good for winter couple of days or so 7K, that would have been nice.

too bad about that job man, i love crane work....

bartlett sucks anyway.

i was looking forward to hanging with the dan too! lol.

too bad about that job man, i love crane work....

bartlett sucks anyway.

i was looking forward to hanging with the dan too! lol.

I hear you on all three of the above, and especially the bartlett sucks part.

Two crane jobs, with you me and the dan, now that would have been classic!

Back