What do you do thanksgiving morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to hunt years ago .But the last 10 or so we all get together and shoot
clay birds and drink bs and wait for the food to be ready.Kinda strange
tradition but we all get together and have fun.:cheers:

Sounds like your doing it right! I normally hunt or play golf, have a few beers, cuss & discuss, eat etc.
Today-I'm working. 7am to 7pm.
Sad part of it is we've got nothing to work on, therefore no reason to be here. Heck I'd rather be home picking, sampling the food (just to make sure it's fit to eat you know;) ), even getting slapped like Andy for hanging out in the kitchen! :monkey:(could be fun). Oh well, I've got 3 squares, a roof, and a job. Not so bad considering.

Started disassembling 660 I just got off ebay and figured out what I need to buy to get it back up to 100 percent.Read GF Beranek's book High Climbers and Timber Fallers cover to cover.Great book.Thanksgiving feast is tomorrow with the family.

Orders came in and mission was a success. Now we are at the weekender for the weekend waiting for the woodstove to warm up the place. Ahhh, Thank you, Lord. :clap:

This is after thanks giving dinner so I can tell what I did. Ate till I almost got sick walked ate again and slept then had pie!!! It hurt sooooo good.

Started disassembling 660 I just got off ebay and figured out what I need to buy to get it back up to 100 percent.Read GF Beranek's book High Climbers and Timber Fallers cover to cover.Great book.Thanksgiving feast is tomorrow with the family.

I have GF Beranek's book High Climbers and Timber Fallers also it is one of my favorites. My favorite chapters is Mike Davis, What a Stud. It would be so awsome to cut trees like that. In northeast wa we can not cut trees over 21" dbh on forest service ground blm we can cut up to 23" all we are doing is make an old growth forest for the city slickers to look at.

Well, hope all had good T-Day...

Mine started out a bit stressfull, but worked out OK...

Lesson - next year buy a FRESH turkey, not a frozen one! Bird was sitting in fridge for three days "defrosting" and was still full of ice in center when I unwrapped it :mad:

Can't stick the turkey stand up it's arse like that, and it's hard to inject it with marinade too... :censored: So throw it in the microwave on defrost - keep working on broc & cheese casserole, get that ready to go in oven. (GF was helpful in chopping up veggies and doing some of the other prep)

Pull the bird out of the nuker, it's still not totally thawed but I can at least get the stand in it, and shoot it full of marinade, so start heating the oil, and set it up to go in.

Keep checking the oil every couple of minutes while getting the bird ready, and gathering all the other stuff needed - including running down the basement for a couple bottles of home brewed mead...

Finally get the bird in the oil, and the casserole in the oven, and so forth, gave the bird a few minutes extra.

In the midst of all this feed the woodstove a time or two...

Finally got out of the house a lot later than planned, but was able to GF's brother's house in time to feast with family - and all the food turned out great!

Over all not a bad day after all :cheers:

Gooserider

I got off work at 0600, went to bed at 0630, got up at noon, had a nice lunch with the family and a couple friends, went back to work at 1800. I work most holidays, but almost always have Christmas off.

I got up at 4:00 to let the dogs out to do their thing. Was enjoying the morning till one of the dogs started puking up deer guts all over the rug.
All my BIL's showed up at 6:00am to go hunting. My wife made them breakfast and baked pecon pies.
I won't hunt with them, so I went out to the shop in the barn and cleaned. Tried to clean the inside windows but the spray glass cleaner would freeze as soon as it hit the window. Changed the oil in the lawn tractor and parked it for the winter. One BIL came out to the shop and need more bullets. Later another BIL showed up and needed to clean out the mud from his gun after he dropped it. Another BIL came out looking for some rope to drag a deer back.
Everyone was gone by noon, so then it was time go get cleaned up to go to the MIL's house for dinner. The MIL just passed away three weeks ago but all the kids wanted to have one last Thanksgiving dinner at their house, before the home gets sold. It was a good time.
Got back home around 8:00pm, let the dogs out and was on the computer for a while. One of the dogs puked up more deer guts on a different rug this time.

Hunting season is such a great time.......

He He, I'll be the odd ball here , we celebrated Thanksgiving Oct. 13 here in the great white north, business as usual tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys!:)

Happy Thanksgiving to you folks in the US.

With today being black Friday, are there any good chainsaw related deals out there?

Last edited:
Missed this thread yesterday because I was too busy helping my wife prepare Thanksgiving Dinner for the children, grandchildren, family and friends (37 people in all). I cook the turkeys and the roast beef, peel and mash the potatoes and the butternut squash AND make sure no one has an empty glass. My wife does all the fancy stuff-cranberries, veggies, sausage stuffing, etc. and everyone brings something to add to the mix.

Today my son and I will cut some wood to try to burn a few calories so we can get back after the leftovers and have a frw more pieces of pie.

I hope everyone had a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

My Thanksgiving tradition is to go hunting in the morning, have Thanksgiving with my parents for lunch and then go have Thanksgiving with my girlfriend's parents for supper.
Good times. :clap:

Latest posts

Back