What do you do to secure equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brain storming here but can you rig up an emergency break with a cable like the parking break on your truck that will lock up the wheels while it's parked? About all you can do is slow them down and maybe that will be enough to force them to find better pickings. Unfortunately people will work harder stealing stuff then it would be to just get a job. As mentioned a lo jack or GPS tracker hidden on the unit. Not a whole lot can be done to stop them but you can make it harder on them and maybe that will be enough to keep the armatures away.

I do have a 20' cable on it, a multi braided thing with a coating. And the circular lock, but as jhenderson points out in post #5...
I have the fork lift in front of it, but does little good if not backed up to a tree.
Short of pulling the wheels off, it would be nice to come up with something simple.
Dislike spending time cabling things up knowing it could be gone anyway any night.
I'm feeling vulnerable...
What's a good security camera system again?
chain a mean Doberman to it...…….

Ever consider moving?????
That sucks. How long of a time period between the thefts?
Like every story there is more to this one. Yes I would like to move but not because of theft. One pickup and trailer was stolen from a new motel parking lot in another state. One pickup and four wheeler which was brand new just pickup the wheeler up from the dealer that day was parked out in the field and stolen while I was planting on the back side of this farm. Truck was locked and keys in my pocket. That's the truck that was found six years later. This all happen with in a five year period and its been twenty years since anything has happen but we have a lot more security now days.

Just brain storming here but can you rig up an emergency break with a cable like the parking break on your truck that will lock up the wheels while it's parked? About all you can do is slow them down and maybe that will be enough to force them to find better pickings. Unfortunately people will work harder stealing stuff then it would be to just get a job. As mentioned a lo jack or GPS tracker hidden on the unit. Not a whole lot can be done to stop them but you can make it harder on them and maybe that will be enough to keep the armatures away.
No you can’t lock electric brakes.

Had a dump bed stolen recently. Was sitting on pallets on the ground. They git the old forklift started and warmed up and loaded it I guess.
99% sure it was a "friend" and he's playing innocent.

That same period I had ~100 gallons of diesel taken (what remained in the tank), a can of chainsaw gas emptied, 2 aluminum log rite peaveys, 2 $100+ wheelbarrows, couple grain shovels and rakes, 6 snow tires for a truck, set of tire chains, and maybe more. Suspect a new 362 and older 460 Arctic have walked off as well.. still hauling stuff off from "friend"

99% sure it was a "friend" and he's playing innocent.

That's a tuffy...and exactly why I hate stealing as it throws a shadow on everyone.
It's that, as much as what they steal.
Can't put a price on it...
I wonder if i got a deer target, a bullseye, and set it on the tongue.
The gps trackers seem like a good idea.

Had a dump bed stolen recently. Was sitting on pallets on the ground. They git the old forklift started and warmed up and loaded it I guess.
99% sure it was a "friend" and he's playing innocent
That's a tuffy...and exactly why I hate stealing as it throws a shadow on everyone.
It's that, as much as what they steal.
Can't put a price on it...

Just doesn't line up that a random person disappeared everything like that.
No solid proof, but I'm not an idiot either. Several of the items were in locked storage areas and only a few people have access.
Totals low 5 figures at this point.

I went last night to grab one of my trucks and I got an earful because I showed up at night and disturbed "everyone". Truck parked away from anything, in the weeds pretty much.
Was after work, around 7:30. By the time I got help and got it towed out, it was around 9, just gotten fully dark.

The typical grasping at straws to make it feel like they are the victim.

Sure you can...but you would need a source of power and that doesn't really make much sense because it's not cheap/easy and it's easily defeatable
No you can’t. The magnets , then the wiring overheat in short order. That’s why no controller offers a parking brake feature. Pull your breakaway switch and leave . Let us know how your brakes are the next day.

I went last night to grab one of my trucks and I got an earful because I showed up at night and disturbed "everyone". Truck parked away from anything, in the weeds pretty much.
Was after work, around 7:30. By the time I got help and got it towed out, it was around 9, just gotten fully dark.

The typical grasping at straws to make it feel like they are the victim.
Hold up here, aren't you the owner of this operation?

It was pretty common for thieves to break into our equipment at work. With rail equipment you cant just park anywhere or take the equipment home with you. The sidings we had to use where usually sidings of old factories that had closed and the tracks grown up with weeds, and usually in the middle of nowhere. Kids like to discharge fire extinguishers, break out windows and lights. In Lexington NC I had a siding I like to use when we where in the area. Police station just up the street in plain site. One morning we got to work and the machines had been broken into. They broke out a door window and stole one of those Lowes $70 socket sets. They left the big tool box full of the big tools. Boss man took a fit, the window they broke cost more than the tools they stole. Window got fixed, and tool kit replaced and a week later thieves broke into the equipment again. This time they left the cheap socket set and took the big tool box, and of course broke out the same door window again. Bossman had a real fit and told me that from now on to put all the tools in the truck at night. Tools where replaced, window replaced, next week at the motel, went out side to get in the truck and truck was gone. I thought the boss was going to blow a gasket. Well company gave me a rental truck for temporary use and I told the boss I was going to need to buy new tools, again. The new tools I had just bought where all in the stolen truck. We got the truck back a day later, crashed beyond fixing, but the tools where still in the tool box. They did steal my rechargable flash light and the company radio. You cant stop a real thief, you can only keep a honest man honest with locks and chains.

It was pretty common for thieves to break into our equipment at work. With rail equipment you cant just park anywhere or take the equipment home with you. The sidings we had to use where usually sidings of old factories that had closed and the tracks grown up with weeds, and usually in the middle of nowhere. Kids like to discharge fire extinguishers, break out windows and lights. In Lexington NC I had a siding I like to use when we where in the area. Police station just up the street in plain site. One morning we got to work and the machines had been broken into. They broke out a door window and stole one of those Lowes $70 socket sets. They left the big tool box full of the big tools. Boss man took a fit, the window they broke cost more than the tools they stole. Window got fixed, and tool kit replaced and a week later thieves broke into the equipment again. This time they left the cheap socket set and took the big tool box, and of course broke out the same door window again. Bossman had a real fit and told me that from now on to put all the tools in the truck at night. Tools where replaced, window replaced, next week at the motel, went out side to get in the truck and truck was gone. I thought the boss was going to blow a gasket. Well company gave me a rental truck for temporary use and I told the boss I was going to need to buy new tools, again. The new tools I had just bought where all in the stolen truck. We got the truck back a day later, crashed beyond fixing, but the tools where still in the tool box. They did steal my rechargable flash light and the company radio. You cant stop a real thief, you can only keep a honest man honest with locks and chains.
The next night I’d be out hiding in the back of truck. I’m sure it was the same thugs.

Ditch the ball coupler and go to a pintle hitch. Very few people use a ring and pintle on smaller bumper pull trailers.

If you have an adjustable coupler on the trailer, you can always pull the coupler or use pins instead of bolts.
Both ideas on my list. I also have the only orange Diamond C dump trailer within a multi-county radius. I have lots of military trailers, no one has stolen one. The ring and pintle work great.....just occasionally hard to back up in a difficult situation.

My retired neighbor has a dog that barks at anything that moves on my driveway, tells me everyone who shows up.

Shea

Sure you can...but you would need a source of power and that doesn't really make much sense because it's not cheap/easy and it's easily defeatable
try that,,and tell us all how your brakes are the next morning...…………………...

Latest posts

Back