What do you do to secure equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the brakes would burn up in less than 10 minutes of constant on...…………………..and your upset being told you are daft...………..
Nope...not upset at all actually, but carry on.

You still CAN apply the brakes...just because it doens't make sense or will destroy things...doesn't mean you CANT do it. I can drive my car into a lake....it doesn't make sense, but I can still do it.

Nothing I said was false. Nothing.

Also...we had a vehicle that was wired incorrectly...we plugged in our trailer, twin 7k lb axle trailer that we had a skidsteer and several logs on. Started the truck to warm up, spent probably 20-30 minutes talking. Got in the truck to find out that the brakes on the trailer had been on the entire time, full blast. Put the truck in gear, and it was obvious the trailer tires were locked.

Figured out what was wrong, fixed it, brakes worked as normal and still do. So....yeah, bull crap on your 10 minutes claim.

You still CAN apply the brakes...just because it doens't make sense or will destroy things...doesn't mean you CANT do it. I can drive my car into a lake....it doesn't make sense, but I can still do it.

Also...we had a vehicle that was wired incorrectly...we plugged in our trailer, twin 7k lb axle trailer that we had a skidsteer and several logs on. Started the truck to warm up, spent probably 20-30 minutes talking. Got in the truck to find out that the brakes on the trailer had been on the entire time, full blast. Put the truck in gear, and it was obvious the trailer tires were locked.

Figured out what was wrong, fixed it, brakes worked as normal and still do. So....yeah, bull crap on your 10 minutes claim.
another lefty in trianing

A buddy of mine last summer had his dump trailer parked on a job and someone stole his brake disconnect sometime during the night. It sat there for hours applied. I unhooked the power to it and the brakes have been working fine since. And btw, definitely no leftist here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel like I've put off cameras for too long, simply for the lack of not knowing what to get.
Wasting money on something that's ineffective.
I'd love to put a camera in the truck or car as well.
Just crazy drivers. Not everyday stuff, but all too common.
I also feel like I've just been lucky so far as far as theft of anything.
Seems like a numbers game, not if, but when.
Insurance is part of it, but not the answer.
Times are hard for a lot of people young and old, and crime goes up, drugs, alcohol don't help.
And as Choppy Choppy indicated, even friends become suspects.
That's a real **** hole experience...
I guess the little time spent on multiple deterrents isn't so bad.

Take the trailer down to the local rail yard and leave it there with a box of random coloured spray paint cans. When you come back to pick it up, it will look so hideous no one will ever want to steal it.
408ae0c4b6b50ff5247debe5c988b87f.jpg

Joking of course - sort of

Oh ok thought it was the same hotel
Actually one truck was stolen and another one broke into at the same motel. The equipment was hit several times at various locations and different towns over the years. The senario I described, the tools where stole in Lexington Nc and the Truck was stolen in Salisbury Nc

Thought I would just add,
The hotel was a Hampton Inn. I think it was actually owned by Food Lion, Salisbury being the corporate office of Food Lion. Almost every week the hotel would fill up with Food Lion employees in town for some sort of training. The back parking lot backed up to a frontage road off I85. Real easy for someone to walk into. Usually my old car would be parked in that back lot and I never locked the car. Several times the food lion cars would get broke into while parked on both sides of my car, but my car would never be untouched. I attributed to the fact my old car was just a beater that looked like a beater and I never had anything in the car worth stealing, including the car it self. Or I was just extremely lucky, but I had good insurance for just incase.

Actually one truck was stolen and another one broke into at the same motel. The equipment was hit several times at various locations and different towns over the years. The senario I described, the tools where stole in Lexington Nc and the Truck was stolen in Salisbury Nc

Thought I would just add,
The hotel was a Hampton Inn. I think it was actually owned by Food Lion, Salisbury being the corporate office of Food Lion. Almost every week the hotel would fill up with Food Lion employees in town for some sort of training. The back parking lot backed up to a frontage road off I85. Real easy for someone to walk into. Usually my old car would be parked in that back lot and I never locked the car. Several times the food lion cars would get broke into while parked on both sides of my car, but my car would never be untouched. I attributed to the fact my old car was just a beater that looked like a beater and I never had anything in the car worth stealing, including the car it self. Or I was just extremely lucky, but I had good insurance for just incase.
I’m sure it was the same thieves knocking that place off for years. They know what to look for and perhaps had an employee in their pocket.

Knock on wood, rural Minnesota is pretty good but the dakotas are terrible. Hunters would get their trucks and trailers cleaned out at the low end motels to the point that one guy would sleep in the truck with a gun and that still didn’t always solve it if he fell asleep. Career thieves!!

Take the trailer down to the local rail yard and leave it there with a box of random coloured spray paint cans. When you come back to pick it up, it will look so hideous no one will ever want to steal it.
408ae0c4b6b50ff5247debe5c988b87f.jpg

Joking of course - sort of

I love train graffiti personally and would love a trailer decked out in it.

Seriously though, the more distinctive the trailer, and the harder it is to disguise it, the less attractive to a thief. Sticker it up or better yet paint it with your name and logo on all sides. Lime green or neon pink or bright orange also stand out. Thieves are lazy. They are not likely to want to repaint your trailer to sell it.

Thieves take advantage of the internet networking too.
There are the small time local ones, but there is also a more sophisticated network of small time boys that fill 'out of state orders' for each other. Together they find a customer, a client and a target, to fill the order.
It's sold before it is stollen. No sitting on the evidence.
And I'm sure painting is no problem in a back woods barn.
It's like the drug problem. People buy drugs.
If no one bought drugs, there would not be a market.
If no one bought stollen stuff, there would be less stuff stollen.
I'm guessing things are stollen mostly to resell, not to keep and use.

For a time there was a rash of unsolved cabin burglaries up here. They literally stole everything that wasn’t bolted down. You would have needed a van or moving truck to do what they did yet not one single piece ever showed up for sale locally. This stuff obviously went to different markets.

Back