What Do You Do With The Ashes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a search on this site for ashes and you will find tons of info, including how to make soap, which I would use after packing that gash with ash!

Ash contains mainly calcium, potassium and magnesium. It's very similar to lime, more effective actually since its particles are finer. If you have pine trees dropping their acidic needles on your garden, which is common in places like New Hampshire, ash is a great way to reduce the acidity of the soil. I spread a little all over my garden in the spring, and maybe a little more throughout the summer. I also spread it on my lawn, as grass likes a basic soil so the ash will ensure that the acidity of the soil remains low. Certain plants, like blueberries, cranberries, rhododendrons and azaleas, actually like acidic soil, so you have to be sure to avoid ashing these if you have any in your garden. I put all my ash in a trash can outside and in the spring, spread it all over my yard, even if there's still snow on it. When everything melts and the water travels into the soil, the nutrients of the ash is deposited. If you till your garden then you can just throw it on right before that. You don't want to keep dumping every clean out in one area regardless of what's growing there, unless you don't care about what's growing there.

I dump mine in a pile not unlike the above mentioned "Mt. Vesuvius". Wind, rain and snow scatter and wash away much of it. The pile is located behind my shed next to the woods and has been dedicated to a compost, soil mixing area. There is a bunch of dead leaves piled there and some other organic matter. I will use this throughout the growing season as an amendment to the flower beds, garden and potted plants. There is some good stuff in there and I like to save it. I'm a green thumb also (when I'm not burning it :msp_wink:)

I target the greenbriar and sassafrass saplings on the perimeter of our yard/woodlot, and scatter on the lawn to raise the PH.

Our soil is basicly sand and forrest litter, so PH is about 5-6 and the grass appreciates the attention.

If you want to kill greenbrier, a couple dumps of ashes does a good job and keeps them away for a while.

We also have a Mt.Hibachi that gets used in the spring and summer after getting leached out a bit.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I target the greenbriar and sassafrass saplings on the perimeter of our yard/woodlot, and scatter on the lawn to raise the PH.

Our soil is basicly sand and forrest litter, so PH is about 5-6 and the grass appreciates the attention.

If you want to kill greenbrier, a couple dumps of ashes does a good job and keeps them away for a while.

We also have a Mt.Hibachi that gets used in the spring and summer after getting leached out a bit.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Green briar as in pickers? Wild raspberries? Nasty skin gouging thorns? Huh! I now have a new use for it. I hate those darn things!

Hello,
I was throwing them on Wanda's compost pile, but when the coals were not all out like I thought, it started to make the pile smolder. I didn't want to set the moumtain on fire, so I started throwing them in the tractor rim we use for burning paper and having yard bonfires. That way if they are still hot, it doesn't matter !!!!!!! Once the fire ring gets full (and completely out), I shovel it out and take the stuff up the mountain a ways and throw it out........job done !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Green briar as in pickers? Wild raspberries? Nasty skin gouging thorns? Huh! I now have a new use for it. I hate those darn things!

LOL!!! Yep!!!

Blackberry and Greenbrier(PLANTS Profile for Smilax rotundifolia (roundleaf greenbrier) | USDA PLANTS) Like acidic soil and wont tolerate a high PH shock from a couple buckets worth of ash dumped on them.

We are just inside the dune line so our ground favors the darn things, and any place that is opened up to sunlight they get aggressive if the ground is right and not mowed.

I hate 'em too!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wood ash to the garden. Coal ash to an undisclosed location even the Predator Drones can't spot.

any place that is opened up to sunlight they get aggressive

I hate 'em too!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote[/QUOTE]

Don't I know. The woods I am cutting now was logged two years ago and the added sunlight has caused these suckers to be a half inch thick with 3/8" daggers. Sometimes I just scream and swing my WOT chainsaw back and forth like a crazy maniac. Then one whips around and sticks to my cheek. That pretty much shuts me up.:beat_plaster:

any place that is opened up to sunlight they get aggressive

I hate 'em too!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Don't I know. The woods I am cutting now was logged two years ago and the added sunlight has caused these suckers to be a half inch thick with 3/8" daggers. Sometimes I just scream and swing my WOT chainsaw back and forth like a crazy maniac. Then one whips around and sticks to my cheek. That pretty much shuts me up.:beat_plaster:[/QUOTE]

You guys just don't recognize the recreational aspect. When you get one of them long ones latched onto your back and are so pissed off and bundled up you can't get it off ya just jump on the tractor and go trolling for deer. Works for Multiflora Rose anyway.

Don't Throw them away .......

Ash contains mainly calcium, potassium and magnesium. It's very similar to lime, more effective actually since its particles are finer. If you have pine trees dropping their acidic needles on your garden, which is common in places like New Hampshire, ash is a great way to reduce the acidity of the soil. I spread a little all over my garden in the spring, and maybe a little more throughout the summer. I also spread it on my lawn, as grass likes a basic soil so the ash will ensure that the acidity of the soil remains low. Certain plants, like blueberries, cranberries, rhododendrons and azaleas, actually like acidic soil, so you have to be sure to avoid ashing these if you have any in your garden. I put all my ash in a trash can outside and in the spring, spread it all over my yard, even if there's still snow on it. When everything melts and the water travels into the soil, the nutrients of the ash is deposited. If you till your garden then you can just throw it on right before that. You don't want to keep dumping every clean out in one area regardless of what's growing there, unless you don't care about what's growing there.

S37d and Darkbyrd, have got it right !:msp_smile:

Treat the ashes like gold, they work the same as lime. So anywhere you would put down lime is where you want to use the ashes.

Your lawn, in the garden, anywhere around pine and oak trees.

I use it all around my house I wish I had more as it saves my the lugging and expense of having to buy lime.

In the Northeast the soil is very acidic almost impossible to use too much lime.

Give it a try :msp_thumbsup:

I spread them on the driveway to help with traction. Our driveway is 1000+ feet and steep so I use them up pretty quick.

I throw them on the snow in the garden area and the darkness of the ashes in the spring melts the snow quicker for spring planting and is good food for the plants. I also have a compost pile that I put the ashes on.

We have chickens and use pine chips for bedding for them. I let it build up over time by adding more fresh chips on the top. A few times a year, I clean out the coops and put the manure/chip mix in a big compost pile. I mix in ashes from the woodstove to counteract the acidity in the pine chips. When it rots down good...in the garden it goes!!!! We also add leaves, grass clippings, and kitchen waste to the pile. takes a lot of compost to feed a 100 by 50 foot garden.

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Put them in a baby powder bottle, and use them for baby powder when you get out of the shower

Thanks, you guys. I ended up putting them in my yard. It was green as it could get until the drought.

One other tip came in handy. My mother in law called me in early March right when the record heat was coming. They had caught a possom in a live trap trying to catch a groundhog. Well I go over there to get him out and he curled up in a ball, OK? So I stick my hand in there with a welding glove on and the SOB bit me right on the bicep. So I throwed him down and stomped it ,til his heart came out his ears. I was bleeding like a pig but happened to be standin' on the FIL's ash pile. So I stuffed a handful of that in the rip in my arm, fixed it quick. So thanks for that and the other good advice.

Latest posts

Back