What do you doon your day off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticweld

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am sure I can not be the only one who suffers this dilemma, I work way to many hours, I am outside where I love to be. On my Sunday off which does not always happen I long to do some of the other stuff that I see others doing that take way to much energy. I would love have a good road bicycle and take a 20 mile bike ride on my day off; that of coarse is pure fantasy. While I am sure that is a great way to spend the day when you spent the weekend in the office looking out the window, it is tough to do when you run your butt off all week dragging a saw through the brush. I so ride snowmobiles in the winter, it is the only time I do not feel guilty about missing a day in the woods if we just had a big storm. I used to be involved in racing motorcycles but the economy has put a damper on spending that much money in one weekend. today I am just resting feeling like I should be doing more, my guess is that I am not alone.

I get up early on my days off and take the kids outside... It's more relaxing than sitting on the easy chair. We're about to go for a walk, might set up the cheap swimmin pool for the boys then fire up the smoker for a couple slabs of ribs.

So a short answer... Family/friends/outside.. Maybe grab a fishin pole and see what happens. Something you don't normally get to do ya know.

whats a day off?? ha ha, no I love what I do and can always find more than enugh in the shop or yard to keep me busy. I do love to hunt. but like ya say energy dictates what I do on sunday now.

Argue with the GF, argue with the kids , ( I am out numbered 3 females and the boy who goes with what mom says anyway), Picked black berries , picked stickers out of my arms and hands. Currently watching swamp loggers while trying to stop the bleeding..

Since I lost my Dad several years ago, my outlook has changed some. I never took time before that. But now Sunday is a day for my family. Regardless of what we decide to do, we almost always go get my 87 year old mother and take her with us.
Don't think that I'm patting myself on the back or anything like that. I've just realized mortality. I know that I may not always have the ones I love, or maybe they won't have me around. I just want them to know how much they mean to me.
I regret not spending this kind of time with my Dad, and don't intend to go through that again.
There are a few times that I have to work for a few weeks straight, but it has to be really pressing now days. My family is the reason I work, probably should enjoy them at least one day a week.

Andy

Last edited:
Argue with the GF, argue with the kids , ( I am out numbered 3 females and the boy who goes with what mom says anyway), Picked black berries , picked stickers out of my arms and hands. Currently watching swamp loggers while trying to stop the bleeding..

They should have never cancelled that show...

Of all the logging shows there is ... Swamp loggers is the ONLY one I can watch with out puking

I too watched Swamp Loggers today, sad when one of the best ways to relax is to watch what you do all week. I hear the same comments from my wife every time she catches me watching it " You watching that again?" It does not get old with me and I agree with the comments made here about there being no other show I can even watch that represents logging like Swamp Loggers with out getting pissed at how we are portrayed. It is sad when a faithful man that takes care of his crew and family and gets it done in the woods is no longer worthy to the media types who do our programing

Work in the garden, the blacksmith shop, the wood working shop, or work the draft horse. Mow the yard, tinker with my old truck or rail buggy or go shooting. I dont really take days off in the traditional sense. Farming is a 7 day a week job, plus my normal construction work. I also teac at a survival and tactical school so range time usual means work

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I typically never work on weekends. Unless I know for sure that its going to be wet on Monday or for some other reason I need to get wood out (like end of winter break up). Otherwise I've got five little ones at home and a close extended family with most of them living nearby. There is always something going on. Its awesome to wake up Saturdays and Sundays to the kids makin noise in the house. During the week I barely see them. Its dark when I go to bed and dark when I wake up. I don't want to miss too much of them growing up for the couple of extra bucks I'd be ahead workin weekends. Although I did have to take a few hours out this afternoon doing a little fab and weld for tomorrow. There is always something that I could be doing for work, but its usually not worth wasting time on the weekends. All seven of us sit down to dinner every night at the big kitchen table I built when they were all a lot smaller. I don't want to be old and gray and realize that I missed so much. ####, I could be gone tomorrow. I'm not a fan of regrets.

attachment.php

2nd attempt. almost..

i think my tight eye splice was waaaay too tight.

3rd time's going to be a charm.

wish me luck.

View attachment 307599

End up cuttin' 47 1/2" DBH poplars outta peoples front yards next to a house, and a power line and a single wide and a road......you know the normal stuff...... On the upside since I started this gig working for a right of way co. I get to use climbing gear, bull ropes and blocks on my off time!! That or I end up getting conned into cutting timber for other people when I am supposed to home with my family or logging my own jobs....

Tom

Latest posts

Back