What do you doon your day off?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I used to be able to do just a few short years ago when it seemed like I had more time and money. I see I am not the only one who lately has to work way more hours than I did in the past to make a go of it

Snowmobiling in Vt with a good friend of mine and fellow adrenaline junky

My son Russ and I at Summit Point race track

Me chasing down another friend of mine down at Deals Gap

Coffee first, and a good breakfast.

Then, there's the regular list of things that need doing ready for work tomorrow; sharpen all the saws, spin up spare chains for whatever saws don't have spares. Check the blades on the chipper, make sure we've got oil for mix, oil for bars, and everything is where it ought to be.

Then, the emergency list; whatever important gear got broke that week and we really can't do without. Either fix it or replace it, pickup parts and supplies as needed. I haven't done any invoicing for 3 weeks, gotta get on that! And the tax is way overdue too.

Then the not-so-emergency list; not quite so important gear that's been sitting around for a while. There's plenty of that. Saws that aren't quite running right, things that are getting kind of worn out and ought to be seen to before they do. maintenance type stuff... oil and filters, tyre pressures, maybe even strip and clean all the saws, re-tune them and true up the bars. And that bracket that's gotten loose and rattles round on the the truck exhaust, that things been driving me insane for the last 2 months! And I've got to do some welding under the cab where one of the bolts that holds the seat down has pulled right through the floor. I'm sure I've pulled my back out permanently by having to strain to sit up right because I can't lean back on the seat because of that bolt. Really ought to fix that. Which reminds me, the welder is probably out of gas, have to pickup some more argon. And I ought to make up a better trolley for the welder and gas bottle too. Oh, and how come the engine hasn't been warming up so fast? I think the radiator might have a leak. And the drivers side window on the car isn't going down for some reason. And the gearbox is getting a little clunky.

Then, there's the get around to it list; I've got to make up some kind of box for the pole saw. And the jameson poles. The flashing lights need to be mounted on the chipper. Wouldn't it be cool if I had a trailer, with a splitter mounted on it, and a conveyor? Then I could do firewood on site with just one guy. Definitely money to be made there, I'll have to look into that. The webpage needs work too. And I've got to do some more advertising, still got those flyers i had printed out a year ago, why haven't I put them out yet? Oh yeah, i was going to get that bike running to deliver them, only needs a bit of work.... and on and on and on

Shaun

Latest posts

Back