What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father has one of them Stihl's, its a ripper, but I would put any similar sized Echo streets ahead of it, the Echo will always start, has better air filter too, I have read of more people having starting issues with the 250 than any other saw, its your money though.
There is a thread somewhere all about how bad the ms250 can be.

A 353 runs very close to a prosaw, and handles identically and is built identically. Currently I have the Echo cs590 and the jonny 2152 on the quad for firewood duty. Neither one can be compared in any way, stretch, or form to a ms250.
They could be compared, but an ms250 is not the same saw by any means to a Husky 353. I've always thought the Husky 353 was a pro saw. The Stihl ms250 is a clamshell residential saw. Just MHO.

They could be compared, but an ms250 is not the same saw by any means to a Husky 353. I've always thought the Husky 353 was a pro saw. The Stihl ms250 is a clamshell residential saw. Just MHO.
I feel the same way. Just because the 353 isn't an xp, it's still pro grade construction. Same with my 545, it's the exact same as a 550xp except without crank stuffers and a different coil. There are no professional grade clamshell saws.

I just looked up the price of a 250 at ace hardware. $379.99. That's crazy.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
That's about right. The one I bought at the estate sale five years ago set me back $200. The original invoice was there and said $370. Then the owner spent another $100 in "repairs" by the dealer for a carb tune-up that did nothing to stop the easy-flood problem. This saw's engines are noted for that and unflooding them is also not easy. You generally have to let them sit for half an hour.

My father has one of them Stihl's, its a ripper, but I would put any similar sized Echo streets ahead of it, the Echo will always start, has better air filter too, I have read of more people having starting issues with the 250 than any other saw, its your money though.
The one i just bought this past Nov. (250) was a bear to start. Hard pull and easy to flood. Just too finicky to start with the new 250's. Perhaps Stihl was trying to push their "Easy Start" saws and used this saw as a push.
I sold this saw back to the dealer at a slight loss after using it for 1 week and got an Echo 501P w an 18" bar and it cuts any tree down i want.

Looks like I might have to buy a new chainsaw. I'm thinking of the Stihl 250, but here's the problem: I use my chainsaws for firewood and sometimes I cut down some pretty big trees. My old MS 311 did the job, but they are expensive.

I'm not sure if the MS 250 can handle the big trees. I read one review - I think it was Bob Vila - who rated the 250 as the best overall chainsaw on the market, dollar for dollar. But, can they handle the big stuff? Thanks for any opinions you can offer.
The MS250 is a real trooper. It is a light duty saw aimed at the weekend warrior but will last a long time with a sharp chain, reasonable maintenance and an operator who is mindful of it's limitations.

I have an MS250, and several other professional saws. The MS250 is light. It starts easily with two pulls on choke, then one pull off choke. The exhaust arrestor can get plugged up to make it harder to start and run rough, but you can just burn it clean with a propane torch (or a muffler mod). It works well with a sharp 16" chain. Also, blow off the air cleaner to keep it clean. I regularly cut up a heaping 5'x10' trailer load of hackberry, mulberry, ash, hedge, etc on 1-2 tanks of fuel in short order, and it's worked fine so far. The 028 is a bit heavier and more powerful, but not as powerful as the 044 or 066, but the weight of the MS250 makes it easy to use for a long time without getting tired.

A 353 runs very close to a prosaw, and handles identically and is built identically. Currently I have the Echo cs590 and the jonny 2152 on the quad for firewood duty. Neither one can be compared in any way, stretch, or form to a ms250.
I really wouldn’t even consider my 590 a pro saw, but I’d rather say it’s riding the line. Pro build and features for the most part, just a little down on power

I really wouldn’t even consider my 590 a pro saw, but I’d rather say it’s riding the line. Pro build and features for the most part, just a little down on power
Echo markets them honestly as a farm saw. Imo they are the best farm saw on the market.

Thanks for all the sound advice. I welcome more, but I think what I'll do is get the Stihl 250. I think I can fill up the rest of my half-full wood shed with smaller stuff, something the 250 should be able to handle, then next year add a bigger machine for bigger trees.

Only thing I don't like about the 250 is all the people who say it's hard to start.

By the way, an earlier post talked about the sound a certain chainsaw makes. I think that's hilarious. Reminds me of my Harley buddies. Me too. When I buy exhausts for my Harleys, sound plays a pretty big part, never thought about that applying to chainsaws too.
Yeah that was me 😬. The ms250 has a good snort to it that appeals to me. And yes, for a small saw it is a hard pull… and easy to flood. Just takes some getting to know is all.

I also have the predecessor 025, which I have used and abused as a homeowner for almost 30 years now. (I did have to replace the coil at one point, and a few years back I upgraded the P&C to the slightly larger MS250 jug after my son started twiddling with the mixture screws.) For several years, it was my only saw and got used to make occasional cuts longer than the bar and even did some free-hand milling with it.

However, it was also the saw that convinced me to buy bigger saws, although it is still the most used saw I have. I would not recommend fitting a bar longer than 16" -- it starts to struggle a bit with the 16" bar buried. (I never tried it with anything but the stock .325" chain and sprocket.) But for anything up to, say, 12" or 14" diameter, it's my saw of choice. For bigger stuff, I can borrow back the MS361 Pro (I gave it to another of my sons when he bought property and needed a saw, but it's still one of my favourites). I had an MS290 Farm Boss (stolen) and have an 084 (mostly for milling).

One of my other sons bought the MS261CM when it came out. There were some glitches with it at first, but after a trip or two to the dealer, that's all sorted now. I really like that saw too. A bit heavier than the MS250 for sure, but smoother, more powerful, and lighter than the MS290. It easily handles the 18" bar. If I lost all my saws and was starting over, I would give this one serious consideration as the first purchase. It is definitely more money, but the MS250 is currently retailing for about the same price as I paid for the 025 thirty years ago. So considering the rate of inflation...

As for Echo, I personally would not buy one. We had 2 dealers in this area, but they both dropped Echo in part because of difficulties trying to collect on the supposed 5 year consumer warranty. Reportedly Echo can be reluctant to honour it. Stihl dealers are plentiful and the warranty, while shorter, is worth the paper it's printed on. But that's just my 2¢.

Latest posts

Back