What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have been told repeatedly the Echo 590 is a far better choice
Around here, that Echo is about $60-$70 dollars more than the 250. That's not exactly the same price. I'm going to stick to my original choice, get the 250 now for smaller stuff to fill up my wood shed, then add a bigger machine this coming fall, maybe look for a good deal this summer.

I will do further research on the Echo - I found a nearby dealer - but I'll most likely stay with Stihl. Not that I don't trust the opinions expressed here, but I know the Stihl brand, have used it and trust it.

I also have the predecessor 025, which I have used and abused as a homeowner for almost 30 years now. (I did have to replace the coil at one point, and a few years back I upgraded the P&C to the slightly larger MS250 jug after my son started twiddling with the mixture screws.) For several years, it was my only saw and got used to make occasional cuts longer than the bar and even did some free-hand milling with it.

However, it was also the saw that convinced me to buy bigger saws, although it is still the most used saw I have. I would not recommend fitting a bar longer than 16" -- it starts to struggle a bit with the 16" bar buried. (I never tried it with anything but the stock .325" chain and sprocket.) But for anything up to, say, 12" or 14" diameter, it's my saw of choice. For bigger stuff, I can borrow back the MS361 Pro (I gave it to another of my sons when he bought property and needed a saw, but it's still one of my favourites). I had an MS290 Farm Boss (stolen) and have an 084 (mostly for milling).

One of my other sons bought the MS261CM when it came out. There were some glitches with it at first, but after a trip or two to the dealer, that's all sorted now. I really like that saw too. A bit heavier than the MS250 for sure, but smoother, more powerful, and lighter than the MS290. It easily handles the 18" bar. If I lost all my saws and was starting over, I would give this one serious consideration as the first purchase. It is definitely more money, but the MS250 is currently retailing for about the same price as I paid for the 025 thirty years ago. So considering the rate of inflation...

As for Echo, I personally would not buy one. We had 2 dealers in this area, but they both dropped Echo in part because of difficulties trying to collect on the supposed 5 year consumer warranty. Reportedly Echo can be reluctant to honour it. Stihl dealers are plentiful and the warranty, while shorter, is worth the paper it's printed on. But that's just my 2¢.
I have heard of a few instances that echo wouldn't honor the warranty, but when you start making calls to echo, they don't have any records of it. The dealer just assumes echo won't honor it and doesn't turn it in because they don't want to mess with it.

Around here, that Echo is about $60-$70 dollars more than the 250. That's not exactly the same price. I'm going to stick to my original choice, get the 250 now for smaller stuff to fill up my wood shed, then add a bigger machine this coming fall, maybe look for a good deal this summer.

I will do further research on the Echo - I found a nearby dealer - but I'll most likely stay with Stihl. Not that I don't trust the opinions expressed here, but I know the Stihl brand, have used it and trust it.
I wish you luck with the 250. I have heard from many owners that like it. Just run e-free fuel and a high quality mix at 50:1 or richer, and you should be set.
However, you did ask for opinions. 🙂 I think chainsaws are worse than guns and trucks when it comes to owners building their egos on a brand. So, $60 or $70 bucks more and you can have all the saw you’ll ever need.
If you go the Stihl route in the fall, you’ll be paying up to $500 more to match the quality of the 590 with the MS 362, which is no more capable, but a very fine saw!

There is a 590 on eBay right now for $379 free shipping. That's cheaper than a 250 is here. I have seen 590s sell on ebay for $300 new in box. I have stihls as well but I still wouldn't buy a 250 for $380 when there are better options. But it sounds like you have your mind made up. I hope you enjoy your 250 and don't have any problems with it.

I have heard of a few instances that echo wouldn't honor the warranty, but when you start making calls to echo, they don't have any records of it. The dealer just assumes echo won't honor it and doesn't turn it in because they don't want to mess with it.
As much as I like Echo, I have heard that they didn’t handle their warranty department very well back in the day. In recent years reports are getting better and I found in my own experience, New saws are coming out of the box with a richer tune. I also believe that if they saw is turned right and cared for properly, which is a long list unknown by most users, there’s no need for warranty, especially at a 2 or 5 year mark.

There is a thread somewhere all about how bad the ms250 can be.

The problem is the pulley is too small for the 45cc displacement. So it's physically harder to pull the starter than it should be for that size engine. It can be a problem if you start the saw many times, like if you're cutting brush and often stop the saw while pulling cut brush out of the way. For cutting wood it's probably not a problem.

It’s probably a bit of a numbers game too. Lots of 250’s out there. Kind of like 455 Ranchers…tough saws, but because of where they are sold and marketed, they end up in the hands of the worst users… guys who need a bigger saw but give two squats about taking care of it.

Yep. I'm a Husqvarna guy but I would n
It’s probably a bit of a numbers game too. Lots of 250’s out there. Kind of like 455 Ranchers…tough saws, but because of where they are sold and marketed, they end up in the hands of the worst users… guys who need a bigger saw but give two squats about taking care of it.

I’m in agreement. Nearly $500 for a 455. I do like the antivibe of Husqvarna but the 590 is still better than even the 460 or a Stihl 311/391.
The 590s are hands down the strongest saw in that class. I run a 20" on mine, but I have no doubts it could pull a 24" or a 28" with skip chain.

The strongest saw in the 60cc "farm-saw" class, let's be clear. It cannot realistically be compared to the pro 60cc saws.

the Echo 590 is a poor comparison to the 250. The 250 is a poor comparison to several 40-50cc saws which are superior in every way, and even cost less. As I already said, the OP had his mind made up before he asked the question.

There are those who choose based on merit and those who choose for other reasons.

Looks like I might have to buy a new chainsaw. I'm thinking of the Stihl 250, but here's the problem: I use my chainsaws for firewood and sometimes I cut down some pretty big trees. My old MS 311 did the job, but they are expensive.

I'm not sure if the MS 250 can handle the big trees. I read one review - I think it was Bob Vila - who rated the 250 as the best overall chainsaw on the market, dollar for dollar. But, can they handle the big stuff? Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

I used a 250 for 18 years with out issue. Most of the cutting was firewood up to 16 in. Mostly pine, fir, tamarack, birch, spruce.Other than wear items and cleaning I adjusted the idle once. Retired and kept as a spare for the Echo 490 replacement. The 250 was a bit slower that the 490 in the larger wood but handled without issue.

The strongest saw in the 60cc "farm-saw" class, let's be clear. It cannot realistically be compared to the pro 60cc saws.

the Echo 590 is a poor comparison to the 250. The 250 is a poor comparison to several 40-50cc saws which are superior in every way, and even cost less. As I already said, the OP had his mind made up before he asked the question.

There are those who choose based on merit and those who choose for other reasons.
For sure, plenty of 60cc saws can outcut the 590. OP definitely was set on the 250 beforehand, not sure if he doesn't have an Echo dealer near him or if he's simply biased towards Stihl

Looks like I might have to buy a new chainsaw. I'm thinking of the Stihl 250, but here's the problem: I use my chainsaws for firewood and sometimes I cut down some pretty big trees. My old MS 311 did the job, but they are expensive.

I'm not sure if the MS 250 can handle the big trees. I read one review - I think it was Bob Vila - who rated the 250 as the best overall chainsaw on the market, dollar for dollar. But, can they handle the big stuff? Thanks for any opinions you can offer.
Looks like you have received quite allot of feedback already. I have many, many saws. I have at least two older 025 and one MS-250 chainsaws. They are not my favorites by any stroke of the imagination. Simply put, they are class C Homeowner saws. They get the job done, for small firewood projects, but from the sound of it, you need more out of a saw than the MS-250 is going to offer. The idea of running longer bars will not balance properly, and you will not be happy. I gather that deriving value is a key consideration in your selection process. Another poster already told you about the Echo CS-590. Once modded, that is a powerful running 60CC class saw. It will stand up to a Stihl MS-362 and be cheaper to operate long term. But if you can get by with a 50CC saw, one of the best saws for the money is the Echo CS-490. They are easy to modify and once re-tuned and broken in, they will provide many years of reliable service, cutting close to the performance of the Husqvarna 346XP, and not tip over when you set it down. Mid-range torque is surprisingly good. They start, pert near by just looking at them, and they balance well with an 18" bar. You can get 20" bars for them, as they are everywhere for sale at reasonable prices, but if you can get by with the 18" you will be well served. I cut up 22" rounds with an 18" bar all the time. What I especially like about that idea is that currently, there are plenty of Echo CS-490 saws, brand new in the box available at bargain prices on E-Bay. These saws have magnesium crankcases, drum & rim drives, fully adjustable automatic oilers that are not plastic like some other manufacturers and variable spark advance electronic ignition. Sure the handle is plastic, but so is the Stihl MS-250. I have straightened more aluminum handles than replaced plastic handles. Don't back over it with the skid loader and you will be fine. Seriously, the worst thing that could happen is that you weren't satisfied with its performance, and you could resell the saw easily for what you had into it. But I know that once you get it modded and running right, you will thank me. Just remember to remove the limiters. If you don't know how to tune a saw properly, find someone who does. Those saws are a great value and much easier on an old shoulder than the MS-250.

I’ve done a comparison of the 590 and ms362 side by side and I think they compare in power and build quality. The ms 362 was a non m- tronic saw and they were both well worn in. I like them both and I think the only thing that puts the 590 in the “farm” class is the spur sprocket, stock bar and chain, and plastic clutch cover, which in reality is every bit as tough as magnesium, just not as heat resistant.

How abut a 50cc Echo in Ireland
Someone is not comparing apples with apples. The CS-501P is a the pro 50 cc saw in the Echo lineup. But other than the aluminum handle, different piston and cylinder combined with improved porting, all those improvements are hard to justify the price over the much cheaper priced CS-490. Once the CS-490 is modded and re-tuned, it swiftly catches up to the pro saw in terms of performance. Again, what is not fair in my comparison is that the CS-490 is not passing emissions standards like the CS-501P. Life isn't fair, but I prefer to pay $275 rather than $500 plus US dollars.

Back