What do you guys think of the Stihl MS 250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol!…what this thread has done for me is let me know to stay away from the 250. I’ve never had one or even run one. But, I’ve had pretty good luck with all my Stihl stuff…chainsaws and a blower, in terms of reliability. My father in law on the other hand has had terrible luck with Stihl after switching from Echo because of his local dealer. Funny thing was, most of his Echo stuff was still going strong after 20 years. He gave some of it to me and was really proud of his new Stihl stuff. It’s been about 6 years and nothing but headaches.

Never had an issue starting my MS311 in any condition. A couple of weeks ago, she was left out in the truck and fired up early in the morning at -2*. The same for my Husky 450.
I picked up a MS180 last Fall for small cleanup and despite the non-adjust carb, it's been good in all weather as well.
I have no need for a MS250, but if I did, this has been an insightful thread.

Regarding Echo, my friend had to scramble to clear a lot for a new septic (he thought the company was going to do it -nope!), so we had a bunch of friends come down and we ran each others saws for a bit. I used a 590 and 620P.
The 620 was closer in performance to my 311 than the 590. The saws had good ergonomics and felt lighter than my 311, which is a beast. The plastic did feel a bit like one of my knock off saws, but not bad. I think bang-for-the-buck, the 620 is a good value. As many mentioned, it can come down to support and my Stihl dealer is right up the road. My friend from CT with the Echo's has the Echo dealer near his house.

How did this thread go from Stihl MS250 to Echoes and Motorcycles to other subjects?
I have a MS250 and I can state freely it's the most tiresome saw to start I've ever had. Someone mentioned choke not working or being lean. No, just the opposite. The Stihl engineers didn't do there homework before releasing this saw. If you put the choke on and give anywhere between one pull or heaven forbid more, you flooded it. Then you wear yourself out clearing the cylinder with wide open throttle before it starts. Once started and subsequent hot starts are no problem and it performs well, just don't let it cool off again. Like I said, not engineered well. Oh yes, Stihl knows it's a pain in A$$ to start but they won't do anything to correct the problem for owners. They should have had a total recall to fix this MODEL MS 250 but I guess there engineers never figured out a FIX. I own many other Stihl products, but I won't buy any more because Stihl has known about the problems starting with this model since DAY ONE but refused to take care of the customers. So yes some people just give it away because it's a POS.
Like I said previously in this thread, if your having starting issues from a ms250 rebuild the carb and readjust the jets. The low side often is set far too rich and others have voiced the needle lever being set too high from the factory. Once done it should only take 2 pulls on choke before it attempts to start then 2 pulls on high idle to roar to life. I think the more restrictive muffler exacerbated this issue, they are really great saws that start easily and scream once adjusted correctly.

Although I have not rebuilt a echo 590 yet I have seen a few teardowns on them, the port/transfer sizes and shapes are long and small and the carb is tiny to reduce fuel consumption. Do not be afraid to turn the H needle out 1/16" of a turn at a time to feed more fuel as the rings seat, you want the carb supplying enough fuel that it over fuels and effects the engine at wide open throttle yet once the saw is cutting and loaded up it clears up and cuts very strongly without burping, dropping rpm or fluctuating rpm but if the bar is lifted from the wood and load removed it begins to over fuel again. From memory the next size up saw (620?) has many many parts that can be used on the 590 that are better designed one being the coil and I believe it to be "unlimited".

There is a thread somewhere all about how bad the ms250 can be.
My ms250 story is a simple one: about 12 yrs ago when the bark beetle ravaged Colorado pines my 5 acres in Jackson County lost 180 trees, had a little Husky 230 then too small for the job so got a ms250 w. 18” bar, cut every dead pine with this saw and hauled em out w. John Deere 1650’ had no problem with this saw, only sharpened the chain. These lodgepoles are pretty small 12” a big one. Now I’ve gone nuts w chainsaws, have 9 and use a ms361 mostly but if I had to choose only one to keep it would be the 250, good all round saw.

About to run these side by side on some small firewood. Interested to see how I like the 4910.

Attachments

• BED69284-D60E-4A1C-BB45-216948F82CB7.jpeg
    BED69284-D60E-4A1C-BB45-216948F82CB7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • D58FFDE9-4295-4829-B74C-EF502C6BB1C0.jpeg
    D58FFDE9-4295-4829-B74C-EF502C6BB1C0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
About to run these side by side on some small firewood. Interested to see how I like the 4910.
Should be interesting. I noticed that the handle bar on the echo sticks out a lot farther than the 550. I hope you like it. I am still looking at them on ebay. I can't help looking but I know I can't buy one. I have a 545 and have two old 50s. One has a 55 cylinder and piston, base gasket delete, timing advance and muffler mod, but the 545 still has a little more power, I think.

I wonder if it's the restrictive muffler that's causing problems with the 250. The two that I've worked on were both dogs until they were given muffler mods. After that both of them had the same starting drill, two pulls on choke two pulls off. One of them sometimes wouldn't pop after the first two pulls, but would always start after the choke was off and pulled a couple of times more.
I think if somebody wanted a 250 their best bet is to buy a used one and see if it started normally before the cash was handed over.
In my experience anyway, the saws are no better or worse than anything else when it came to reliability. Proper tuning makes a big difference with any saw, it could also be the 250's are just a little bit more critical in that respect.

The 4910 felt a lot like a 250, from what I can remember of running one. Similarities or differences, to me:

Better ergonomics

Little more power

Better dogs for sure

Well balanced with 20” bar

Similar amount of vibration. Not smooth but not bad, just reminds you what you’re doing.

Definitely more capable in bigger stuff

East to start. Good old fashioned on off switch and separate choke control

I like it and I’m glad I picked it up. Great firewood saw.

Attachments

• 49CA7C58-E3A6-466D-ADC6-79BC9295B65B.jpeg
    49CA7C58-E3A6-466D-ADC6-79BC9295B65B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • CBA01002-FEBA-4E99-B5C7-0FA28B79BD59.jpeg
    CBA01002-FEBA-4E99-B5C7-0FA28B79BD59.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 0178BED4-5FB9-4AE1-9964-45B8B1F789A6.jpeg
    0178BED4-5FB9-4AE1-9964-45B8B1F789A6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 2124DD00-1304-4777-B5BA-16E91AEC7504.jpeg
    2124DD00-1304-4777-B5BA-16E91AEC7504.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Im glad you like
The 4910 felt a lot like a 250, from what I can remember of running one. Similarities or differences, to me:

Better ergonomics

Little more power

Better dogs for sure

Well balanced with 20” bar

Similar amount of vibration. Not smooth but not bad, just reminds you what you’re doing.

Definitely more capable in bigger stuff

East to start. Good old fashioned on off switch and separate choke control

I like it and I’m glad I picked it up. Great firewood saw.
I'm glad you like it. Is it anywhere close to the speed of the 550xp?

SB47 Yep, that's the way most small engines. But obviously you haven't tried a cold start on a MS 250.And don't say CARB . I've tried new, and rebuilt, same problem. It runs fine when you finally get it started. But, good luck with that. MS 250 was and is a LEMON from day one. And Stihl won't stand behind it.

I wonder if it's the restrictive muffler that's causing problems with the 250. The two that I've worked on were both dogs until they were given muffler mods. After that both of them had the same starting drill, two pulls on choke two pulls off. One of them sometimes wouldn't pop after the first two pulls, but would always start after the choke was off and pulled a couple of times more.
I think if somebody wanted a 250 their best bet is to buy a used one and see if it started normally before the cash was handed over.
In my experience anyway, the saws are no better or worse than anything else when it came to reliability. Proper tuning makes a big difference with any saw, it could also be the 250's are just a little bit more critical in that respect.
Yes, the spark arrestor screen on the original muffler can plug up and cause starting problems. And as well noted, once they flood they are a pain. You can just remove the muffler and burn the crud off of the arrestor screen with a little propane torch and a steel brush, put it back together, and it will work like new.

I am a home owner that cuts wood to supplement heating of my home.
I wanted to comment on my MS250 experience, as little as it may be. My saw was purchased in Dec of 2015. I purchased it on sale ($350) to replace a Homelite Old Blue. My old blue is a heavy saw and the reason I was replacing it. I do however find the MS250 lacking in power. So, it sits and rarely gets used. I have not had any issues with it starting or running, regardless of the temperature. So, maybe the date of manufacture has an impact on how well it starts. I went back to using old blue. In the fall of 2019 I upgraded to a MS261C-M. The MS261 is now the only saw I ever use. My MS261 is running a 20" Oregon Versacut 3/8 .050 bar with a 33rd3 carbide chain. It did not take long to regret purchasing the MS250. I do not regret purchasing the MS261 or the carbide chain. Its the best saw I have ever owned.

I am a home owner that cuts wood to supplement heating of my home.
I wanted to comment on my MS250 experience, as little as it may be. My saw was purchased in Dec of 2015. I purchased it on sale ($350) to replace a Homelite Old Blue. My old blue is a heavy saw and the reason I was replacing it. I do however find the MS250 lacking in power. So, it sits and rarely gets used. I have not had any issues with it starting or running, regardless of the temperature. So, maybe the date of manufacture has an impact on how well it starts. I went back to using old blue. In the fall of 2019 I upgraded to a MS261C-M. The MS261 is now the only saw I ever use. My MS261 is running a 20" Oregon Versacut 3/8 .050 bar with a 33rd3 carbide chain. It did not take long to regret purchasing the MS250. I do not regret purchasing the MS261 or the carbide chain. Its the best saw I have ever owned.
I couldn't agree more ... the 250 would have it's morning after headaches at times but both 362's have been excellent saws. Now the 2 week old 261 with a 20" bar is great but since one 362 has a 20". I'm replacing the 20" on the 261 with a 18" sugi but have to wait until this weekend to give it a try. I posted earlier the 261 darn near keeps up with the 362 in the white oak, madrone and ash we are cutting and it's lighter. Got the parts for the 250 to reduce it to a 14" earlier in the week and it's on the bench waiting for conversion.

I’m seeing the 251 new, not the 250 for about $350 on the low end. I’m also seeing some second hand 250’s for over $300 as well. In many cases the 590 can be had for that, and the two saws are not even remotely comparable. If you are on a tight budget and can have a 250 in good condition for $200 or less, I could see the reasoning. I really have to hand it to Stihl for marketing though. But unfortunately I believe it’s the consumer who ends up paying for that overhead. Not trying to bash on Stihl. Never an issue with Stihl quality.
Cs590 $400

Latest posts

Back