What do you take to the bush for a day out cuttng fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, some of you guys really work hard for your wood. If I can't drive my truck/trailer up next to the log, I'll leave it lay. Sure not going to haul it out with a wheelbarrow. Most of my firewood comes from yard trees I take down so I typically have a vehicle within feet of where the tree is. If wood were that hard to acquire, I may reconsider my method of heating the house and shop.
I do enjoy splitting wood with a maul and busted up some rounds this morning for a little exercise.
Your killin' me man! I have to lug my wood out, sometimes forty yds. to my trailer. I have a skidding winch for the tractor, but rarely have enough time to make a full blown ordeal out of a cutting session. Great exercise, but a lousy way to make a buck. So I just make a hobby out of it :)

I do sell a bit of firewood but usually just whatever is excess to my needs. I've usually already been paid once to remove it from the site so turning it into firewood isn't that big of a deal. I don't ever see myself going to get wood just to turn into firewood to sell. Just not enough profit in it. Wood sells cheap around here. I'm currently getting $140 a cord picked up at my site. (split and seasoned hardwood) That's a lot of gas, labor and chain sharpening for that amount of money. I could get more if I delivered it but don't have time. If I lived 50 miles north I could get 50% more. (Atlanta)

I never know how long I'll be in the woods. Sometimes all day long. So I take plenty of water, a few snacks, sandwich, and a couple of Pepsi's. and I try not to forget my cell phone. It can sure come in handy once in a while.
Try not to forget taking my bag of 150' rope. With trees close together, I can have some good hang ups. I have lots of underbrush to deal with too. I dare not forget my wedges, and a hatchet to drive them with. And that's just the extras to throw in with the necessities.
View attachment 463640 View attachment 463641 View attachment 463642
Me too sage, gotta have me some Pepsi's. Don't chew, don't smoke, rarely alcohol, but Pepsi............whoa man that's my bad habit, and far to much of it

4 things....

1. Your insurance company has to cover you, period. They could sue you and/or drop you after the fact, but that doesn't let them off the hook.

2. If you are under the influence after 24 or 36 ounces of cheap light american beer(ideal after hard work on a hot day), then yes, you shouldn't be drinking. Most people aren't.

3. If you lack the cognitive ability to make decent decisions(before or after drinking said swill), then you probably should stick to simple rules such as "x.x hours from bottle to throttle"

If you have a bit of situational awareness, a beer after cutting and before driving on public roads is an enjoyable and 100% legal undertaking.

4. Thats all you'll hear from me on this thread, we're sidetracking an otherwise nice thread.
maybe we aren't 20 years behind you guys,
"Here’s 13 situations when you’re typically not covered by your car insurance:
  • Under the influence
    You won’t be covered if the person driving the vehicle at the time of accident was under the influence of alcohol or any drug."
  • Personal Accident Insurance Exclusions
    It wouldn't be an insurance policy without exclusions, so be wary of the following if you take out personal accident and illness insurance :

• Your claim will not be paid if the injury or illness you suffer is a result of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, except drugs being used as prescribed by a medical practitioner
    • the only performance enhancement alcohol gives you is the mental one that makes you think you have a chance with some hot chick thats way out of your league.

maybe we aren't 20 years behind you guys,
"Here’s 13 situations when you’re typically not covered by your car insurance:
  • Under the influence
    You won’t be covered if the person driving the vehicle at the time of accident was under the influence of alcohol or any drug."
  • Personal Accident Insurance Exclusions
    It wouldn't be an insurance policy without exclusions, so be wary of the following if you take out personal accident and illness insurance :

• Your claim will not be paid if the injury or illness you suffer is a result of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, except drugs being used as prescribed by a medical practitioner
    • the only performance enhancement alcohol gives you is the mental one that makes you think you have a chance with some hot chick thats way out of your league.

Haha 20 years behind?

Scenario...I'm driving down road and get t-boned by drunk guy...and I suffer $100,000 in damages. In the US, his insurance has to pay up to his limit, and I get my bills paid.

In the scenario you spell out, his insurance co. tells him to pay up b/c they aren't. But he has nothing, so I'm screwed even after I win my lawsuit against him.

Yeah sounds great.

It's good for some people to be sheep following imaginary rules that don't really exist or have any basis in reality. For others, not so much.

Haha 20 years behind?

Scenario...I'm driving down road and get t-boned by drunk guy...and I suffer $100,000 in damages. In the US, his insurance has to pay up to his limit, and I get my bills paid.

In the scenario you spell out, his insurance co. tells him to pay up b/c they aren't. But he has nothing, so I'm screwed even after I win my lawsuit against him.

Yeah sounds great.

It's good for some people to be sheep following imaginary rules that don't really exist or have any basis in reality. For others, not so much.
Whats that got to do with what was being discussed? If you need to drink, cut & drink drive you may have a substance abuse problem

here is something from the US
Section 63.07 observes that automobile liability policies do not exclude coverage for driving while intoxicated per se. Illegal and dangerous, yes; barred from coverage, no. An intoxication exclusion is invalid under most, or all, financial responsibility laws. However, where the intoxication leads to the conviction of a felony, the criminal act exclusion may apply. The invalidity of an intoxication exclusion will not save coverage where the criminal exclusion act applies.
Driving while intoxicated, or under the influence of alcohol, can carry serious criminal charges. For the majority of drunk drivers, only a misdemeanor conviction is applied. For those drivers whose conduct results in an accident with another vehicle, property, or pedestrian, the offense is labeled a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

- See more at: http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnews...-edition-chapter-63.aspx#sthash.Xmk2qcao.dpuf

the real test of common sense test is whether you would teach your offspring by demonstration to drink, use a chainsaw then drive home possibly drunk. Its a no brainer really.

Drinking a couple
Whats that got to do with what was being discussed? If you need to drink, cut & drink drive you may have a substance abuse problem

here is something from the US
Section 63.07 observes that automobile liability policies do not exclude coverage for driving while intoxicated per se. Illegal and dangerous, yes; barred from coverage, no. An intoxication exclusion is invalid under most, or all, financial responsibility laws. However, where the intoxication leads to the conviction of a felony, the criminal act exclusion may apply. The invalidity of an intoxication exclusion will not save coverage where the criminal exclusion act applies.
Driving while intoxicated, or under the influence of alcohol, can carry serious criminal charges. For the majority of drunk drivers, only a misdemeanor conviction is applied. For those drivers whose conduct results in an accident with another vehicle, property, or pedestrian, the offense is labeled a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

- See more at: http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnews...-edition-chapter-63.aspx#sthash.Xmk2qcao.dpuf

the real test of common sense test is whether you would teach your offspring by demonstration to drink, use a chainsaw then drive home possibly drunk. Its a no brainer really.

Drinking a couple beers does not make me or a vast majority of the men who cut theor own firewood drunk or under the influence. So therefore you rant doesn't apply.

I said it before, and it looks like we both agree that it is best for those with diminished mental capacity to abstain completely, sawing or not.

I bring a Peavy about half the time. When I bring it, I never need it. When I forget it, I end up wishing I had it.

For a weekend warrior, a truck, multiple saws, bar oil, mix, various tools, chains, block and cable, peavy, wedges, a couple splitting mals, gloves, glasses, ear plugs, cooler with pop and water and beers for after were done and family. Mostly my father in law and brother in law. Oh and usually one of us brings a pistol just in case.

Here the atv loaded with the gear we take to bush
e74169c1714e8cd2d0e4845f9011ee91.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back