What do you the roots extending out from the base of a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you call the roots extending out from the base of a tree?

After a very helpfull correction, what term(s) could be used to describe the roots extending out from the base of the trunk besides girdling roots as I have been told this is not correct. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, and would like to know what to call them when grinding out stumps.

Last edited:
Lawnmower speed bumps!! Thats what a customer of mine called them the other day..LOL

Buttress roots....+1

LXT.......

i know some cypress are called knees, but they actually grow upwards upto 4 or 5 foot. not sure if the term could be apllied to other species or not....

theres actually an old wives tale behind this. When a tree's roots are growing above ground it is said that the tree is happy, the higher the roots, the more happy the tree! of course thats some old windbags load of crap lol. but still cool ya know....

I thought you were talking about the surface roots out from the trunk a ways. If thats the case, they are crying for mulch so the lawnmower doesn't destroy them.

Back