What does 4 strokin mean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A properly tuned saw should 'burble/sputter/four stroke' when at full throttle and unloaded and then 'clean up' immediately when loaded down in the cut.
If it continues to four stroke in small (or any) wood it's either running a little too rich or just not being loaded enough due to the state of the chain and/or lack of feed pressure.

A properly tuned saw should 'burble/sputter/four stroke' when at full throttle and unloaded and then 'clean up' immediately when loaded down in the cut.
If it continues to four stroke in small (or any) wood it's either running a little too rich or just not being loaded enough due to the state of the chain and/or lack of feed pressure.
Interesting- I haven’t heard it four stroke when wide open unloaded. I’ll have to listen more closely next time.

Best thing to do is watch some YouTube videos for examples of "4-stroking" so that you know what to listen for. A 2-stroke that doesn't 4-stroke in the absence of a load is too lean. When I tune my saws (wide open, no load), I lean out the high speed adjustment until they stop 4-stroking (just for as quickly as possible) and then turn it back rich until it breaks up a little.

Best thing to do is watch some YouTube videos for examples of "4-stroking" so that you know what to listen for. A 2-stroke that doesn't 4-stroke in the absence of a load is too lean. When I tune my saws (wide open, no load), I lean out the high speed adjustment until they stop 4-stroking (just for as quickly as possible) and then turn it back rich until it breaks up a little.
Is that true even with the m-tronic carbs?

Ran the saw tonight and could definitely recognize it at idle but not in any wood. Thanks again for the explanation!

Latest posts

Back