what does a cord of wood weigh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few things you don't hear too often in Firewood Heaven...

"my truck is too big for that load...let someone else have it"
"my chain is wayyyy to sharp for that tree, let me find some dirt"
"my trailer is too big for that load"

"wow that young lady in that poster is way under dressed. please cover her up"

and my personal favorite...." wow my taxes are too low...."

A

I have a couple of reasons for not wanting anything larger than a 6 x 10. I will be using the trailer for other purposes and don't want to have this huge trailer for hauling a 4 wheeler or a couple of bikes and some camping gear. It just did not seem logical (initially anyway) to buy a huge trailer if I wasn't planning to haul that much stuff. I am also limited in my driveway space and need something that will fit off to the side of my garage. Anyway, it seems that the trailers in my price range and size are not built strong enough to handle a cord of green wood over the distances and rough roads I was planning to take it on. I will have to wait for a used tandem to come along that is priced right and not too big.

No magical reason, just easier that way for keeping track of what I am cutting off of the woodlot since it isn't my lot and I will be paying by the cord.

does everyone ignore the weights charts?
a cord of wood can weigh up to 5000 pounds, green.
to say 3000 is average is not a very good way of doing things... considering it can be off by a TON
if you figure 3k average, and the trailer weighs 1k, there you have 4k pounds, \which isnt too bad for a trailer with a 3500lb axle... but what if its 5k+1k trailer, now you are way overloaded

does everyone ignore the weights charts?
a cord of wood can weigh up to 5000 pounds, green.
to say 3000 is average is not a very good way of doing things... considering it can be off by a TON
if you figure 3k average, and the trailer weighs 1k, there you have 4k pounds, \which isnt too bad for a trailer with a 3500lb axle... but what if its 5k+1k trailer, now you are way overloaded

are you talking about 24 inch logs as in a full cord or 16- 20 inch logs as in a face cord a full cord does weigh what you say but is everyone here cutting 24 inch?
anyone weigh one yet?

are you talking about 24 inch logs as in a full cord or 16- 20 inch logs as in a face cord a full cord does weigh what you say but is everyone here cutting 24 inch?
anyone weigh one yet?

i only talk in real cords, i think the whole "face cord" or rick thing is a total joke
why would the length of pieces matter as long as its 128cu.ft of wood? im confused

ive been wanting to run my truck and trailer across the recycling station scale one weekend, but have never gotton around to it yet, id like to one weekend when they arnt busy, i know im over the gvwr on the trailer, but i think the actual number might scare me

Last edited:
i only talk in real cords, i think the whole "face cord" or rick thing is a total joke
why would the length of pieces matter as long as its 128cu.ft of wood? im confused

ive been wanting to run my truck and trailer across the recycling station scale one weekend, but have never gotton around to it yet, id like to one weekend when they arnt busy, i know im over the gvwr on the trailer, but i think the actual number might scare me

That would be the best thing to do.

Here in SW New England, typical hardwood mix of Northern Red Oak, Black Locust, Black Cherry, etc. an air-dried cord will average about two tons. That's with moisture content down around 10-15%.

Volume of actual wood in the pile depends very much on size of pieces- the more it's cut and split the less empty space, so the greater weight of cord.

Consider too that many Oaks, green are close to 50% water by weight. Takes a while for moisture content to drop to stable value.

Jay Shelton, in "Woodburner's Encyclopedia" has good coverage.

Latest posts

Back