what does a knocking rod sound like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would not surprise me in the least to discover that a name brand filter is cheapened down to stick it on the shelf of a high volume retail chain. The problem becomes when that stock is assigned another UPC code and sold as a premium filter outta a reputable ratailer... who then discovers that the quality is crap... and then he drops the line as junque, and goes with a replacement product of hopefully better quality.

Wix it is, for now. I am going to get me one and I just might cut it open to see if I like the internals...

I am still bummed that I lost a good enough engine over a flipping $9 filter.... :buttkick:

I am still bummed that I lost a good enough engine over a flipping $9 filter....
Except... well... you don't have anyway of knowing the filter actually failed. Have you even taken the filter off and looked at it?? Heck, my dad has run nothing but Kohler oil filters on his Kohler powered John Deere for over a decade without problems (and he likely ain't changed the oil but once or twice :dizzy:).

I still say, from your descriptions of the noise, your old engine may not be lost.
Descriptions such as... "Now up until Kurt fired it up that morning it was running fine. I split a half cord the day before. no problems. He fired it up drove it over to another pile and then it started clattering. I restarted the engine and checked the oil pressure (I put a gauge on it years ago) and it was reading normal."
That sounds an awful lot like a stuck lifter, or even something as simple as a chunk of carbon lodged under a valve. Heck, my old Kohler Command started rattling like that one time... one of the screws that hold the choke plate on the choke shaft had vibrated loose, gotten sucked in and lodged under one of the valves. It took me all of a ½ hour to pull the head, remove the screw and slap it back together. My thinkin' is you ordered that new engine way too soon... way, way, way too soon.

Go buy one of each (same number), weigh them (or cut them open if you'd rather), and then come back and tell me I'm full of bull crap... until then... well...
"until then well".Motorcraft is a Ford trademark.They license the manufacturer of that filter to use that name and make it to FMC spec. Just how long do you think FMC would allow someone to manufacture that piece sub par?Not long!If you've weighed 2 M/C filters,one from a Ford dealer and one from a bbs, of the same part number out of the box, post the numbers with some confirmation. Until then well.

Oh... by-the-way Patrick62, Kohler has issued several service bulletins relating to lifter/valve train noise in the Command series engines.
I found a few of them when that screw came loose and I wrote down the numbers and shoved them in the tool box, but I can't find the page that displayed the bulletins... SB264, SB231, SB214, SB193.
I remember one was related to oil quality/condition causing stuck lifters... the Kohler recommended fix is to replace lifters, use Kohler Oil (or like quality 10w30), and keep the oil clean by reducing the service interval (if the lifter is salvageable, the Sea Foam trick should work) Another bulletin said using an incorrect oil filter could cause lifter failure... something about the anti-drain-back valve.

Thats why I suggested to keep running it. It will ether correct itself or not. I've seen motors knock like crazy for a while then straiten up and run fine.
I once drove a 1968 chevy truck from Dallas to Houston with a thrown rod. It knocked like crazy the whole way but it made it and was running when I got it home.

Motorcraft is a Ford trademark. They license the manufacturer of that filter to use that name and make it to FMC spec.

That is incorrect.
Ford, or Motorcraft, does not "license" any manufacture to "use" the Motorcraft "name".
Ford/Motorcraft "contracts" a manufacturer, or manufacturers (plural) to make the filters for "Motorcraft" distribution at whatever the specifications may be.
The only entity "licensed" to use the Motorcraft "name" is... well... Motorcraft.
If Ford/Motorcraft chooses to contract for two grades of filters (or ten grades for that matter), from two different suppliers (or ten for that matter), to be distributed for different retail markets at different price points... Ford/Motorcraft is at liberty to do so. And Ford/Motorcraft is not the only one doing such a thing... it's called business, it's been done that way forever.

What?? Hardly a tune change...
That statement had to do with mixing two-cycle oil with gasoline, I stated that I follow the label instructions... the label on the oil container
What does that have to do with this thread?? Where does the label on my engine oil state when to change oil in my four-cycle engine??

I agree... I agree 110%.

Spidey you know I'm just razzing ya. It was this part that gave me the opportunity buddy.
(I put a bit more Sea Foam in than what the label recommends) oooh got yah!

I really don't have time to fiddle with a sick engine right now. A replacement made the most sense at the moment.
Wood season is upon me. Contrary to the title of this thread, I knew when I started it up something is wrong in that engine. If you really, really insist I will take it APART this weekend and then have a basket case and some interesting pictures, and a story for ya.

I pulled the valve cover. Everything is moving like it should. I refuse to believe piston slap overnight.... Losing oil to the journal would certainly do it! So... upon disassembly I will be working with pipe cleaners and compressed air. Plastigage to check the clearance..... Parts are available.

I will fix it eventually. And then build another splitter around it!!!! Probably for a friend who wants a "pretty quick" machine. I already been thinking about that concept.... another 22 gpm pump, 3/4" hoses, 4" cylinder and see if I can get that much thru SAE 10 ports... Set it up with a kick out at 18" and have less than a 5 second cycle time (borderline dangerous)

My Toro Zturn mower has a Kohler 17 HP "power plus" single cyl eng. It randomly has lifter rattle upon start up, hammers pretty good sometimes. Usually goes away in 5-10 minutes, but sometimes it may go an hour or so before quieting down to normal. It has done this since new, it runs fine either way.

several years ago I had a 70 chevy 3/4 ton..I was coming home with a big bail on it well it started hammering.Pulled into a friends place ,farmer,construction company I asked him to listen to it, he said you have rod nocking.He called his mechanic over he said yep rod.Got it to a friend Factory Ford mechanic years of experience,just a great mechanic.yep rod.We rebuilt it started it up,just hammering just like before.He looked at me and said you know I think you need a alternater. Yep I sure did .All of this to say check out other things to .

That is incorrect.
Ford, or Motorcraft, does not "license" any manufacture to "use" the Motorcraft "name".
Ford/Motorcraft "contracts" a manufacturer, or manufacturers (plural) to make the filters for "Motorcraft" distribution at whatever the specifications may be.
The only entity "licensed" to use the Motorcraft "name" is... well... Motorcraft.
If Ford/Motorcraft chooses to contract for two grades of filters (or ten grades for that matter), from two different suppliers (or ten for that matter), to be distributed for different retail markets at different price points... Ford/Motorcraft is at liberty to do so. And Ford/Motorcraft is not the only one doing such a thing... it's called business, it's been done that way forever.
It's the same filter,part number for part number,weather it's bought at your Ford dealer or an auto parts store or BBS if Motorcraft is on the package.

Back