What Gloves to use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody found good heavy-duty gloves that are waterproof and will hold up to carrying firewood.The Cabela gore-tex work gloves I had lasted about 3 weeks.A pair from Duluth trading are fair but are coming apart.All I want is a waterproof winter glove that will last the winter season.Heck I am only using them on the weekends.In dry weather during the fall,the cheap $3-5 a pr gloves last just as long as the expensive ones.

All I use are Atlas gloves for everything. Period. Buy em by the 12 pack, use a pair until they're falling apart, throw away and grab the next pair. The standard ones I use aren't water proof, but that never bothered me since my hands would sweat anyways.

They do make "winter" versions that have a warmer fabric under the rubber coating.

Baileys

I have not tried them yet but I saw some insulated waterproof gloves on Baileys site for about $10/pr. That is a lot cheaper than than that type of glove usually is. I plan on ordering some soon.

Firefighting gloves are well insulated and some are waterproof. They work well and can take a beating.

I've tried them all over 20+ years of dealing firewood, and their life-expectancies could all be measured in days- mostly seams ripping and holes wearing in index and middle finger tips. I've gotten some goatskin gloves that I've used for 3 months now and they're only just now starting to rip at a seam. They're not "waterproof", but Thinsulate lined which stays warm even when damp.

I've tried them all over 20+ years of dealing firewood, and their life-expectancies could all be measured in days- mostly seams ripping and holes wearing in index and middle finger tips. I've gotten some goatskin gloves that I've used for 3 months now and they're only just now starting to rip at a seam. They're not "waterproof", but Thinsulate lined which stays warm even when damp.

Goatskin, eh? Interesting. I've been buying pigskin the last couple of seasons, and they far outlast leather.

Haven't seen any good ones that are waterproof, though. A good coat of Sno-Seal helps a lot, though. Just sit down by the stove and work it in well. Let set for the night, and they're ready to go.

I like the Kinco rubber coated gloves from Gemplers. Light insulation, 5 bucks, pretty durable.

Goatskin, eh? Interesting. I've been buying pigskin the last couple of seasons, and they far outlast leather.

Haven't seen any good ones that are waterproof, though. A good coat of Sno-Seal helps a lot, though. Just sit down by the stove and work it in well. Let set for the night, and they're ready to go.

+ 1 pigskin is the best where like iron $7 or $8 pr at NORTHERN....

Latest posts

Back