What have had or seen go wrong wih your dawgs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have no idea how I did this. I will tell you though the dogs on a 66 when done just right will go right thru your thumb nail. Then either when you jump and pull, or you try to lift the saw most of your nail separates from that nice soft tender meaty stuff under the nail.

I have seen a guy trip and fall packing his saw, drove the dogs right into the back of his neck. A guy was dug in deep on a long cut, things split quick and he couldn't get the saw loose. One dog when this way and the other that, with parts attached to each. Forget the countless, number of jugs, cans, bottles, or anything else that can be punctured.

I think I saw that North had a saw on the seat next to him to keep company, wonder how them seats hold up?

Anyone else have saw dog stories? There's got to be something out there?

Owl

I have a couple of small scars on my neck from the dogs. I dropped a can of black spray paint on my 660 a few years ago. It still has paint specs. Yep I have punctured a few things in the back of the truck too.

I dug mine into my leg just above my knee two years ago. Scar is still there. My forester told me he heard of a guy dieing when packing his saw on his shoulder. He tripped and fell and poked em thru the front of his neck. He also told me he knows a guy who cuts with football shoulder pads.

You know, you caannn make slip on guards out of foam padding. It only takes a second to slip it on, and if you make it big enough, and of a bright enough color, it is a hard thing to lose. You can use it for kneeling on while doing saw maintenance or praying, or sitting on. You could even make a fancy one using a pad and glue on Velcro except I'm not too sure on the durability of glue on Velcro.

Here's my simple pad made from a blue foam sleeping pad (Walmart sporting goods dept.) . I can also pack my saw on either shoulder using this. It passes muster for doing official trail work, although you'd have to flare your design more to fit over the dawgs--not to be confused with the brown dog.

DSCN3598.JPG

That cover is pretty slick. The local Ace has all flavors of duct tape, Zebra, floral, colors, even scents. I've always used discarded Fire hose, but the synthetic lined stuff doesn't stay on real well. I have a cheap sleeping mat I got from the Table Mountain Fire, alfalfa stubble was coming through our tent bottoms.

That cover is pretty slick. The local Ace has all flavors of duct tape, Zebra, floral, colors, even scents. I've always used discarded Fire hose, but the synthetic lined stuff doesn't stay on real well. I have a cheap sleeping mat I got from the Table Mountain Fire, alfalfa stubble was coming through our tent bottoms.

If those are the gray colored ones, I would use really bright duck tape. Things are so easy to lose in the woods.

You bet. I was thinking pink Hibiscus tape. It would be way better than the stock Stihl covers on our saws at work.

That way the crews on other trucks would be making sure they didn't get left behind, too.

Scented duct tape? Really? What scents? This could get interesting.

Dawg damage? To the body? Not much. A couple of scrapes and pokes, mostly when getting the saw off of my shoulder. Some rain coat damage, maybe a couple of scrapes on my chaps, that's about it.
Dawg damage to other things? That's a big list.
I saw a can of yellow log marking paint get thrown into the back of the crummy...thrown very hard because it wasn't working right and the chaser was mad and the Forester :cry::buttkick:was there so he couldn't toss it the slash pile... and spear itself on a dawg. There was still quite a bit of paint in the can. We made the thrower promise not to do that any more.

Scented duct tape? Really? What scents? This could get interesting.
Yeah...

She said she was walking down one of the aisles, smelled it and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Seems like it was something flowery, but I know there were several.

Edit: Cupcake, Lemon, Orange Cream, Mint, Grape, Bubble Gum

http://www.duckbrand.com/products/duck-tape/duck-tape-scents/1816?swatch=true

Edit II:
I Absolutely Love it when a paint can gets popped, had one get poked in teh back of our survey crew rig, it did the flying jumping jack thing. Slammed the door shut, so it didn't come out and spray all of us standing there. We waited until we heard the whirling dervish quit hissing, then opened it up and looked. Nothing was hurt, theodolite was still in it's box!

I had a big spring pole launch a 394 into me at wot. Fortunately the chain brake worked and a couple cutters cut some curly cues out of my scalp. The impact knocked me back about ten feet. Not much damage but the dogs stabbed into my shoulder and it still hurts sometimes.

Poked myself last year with 460 western style felling spikes. Went through my chaps, jeans, long johns and about 1" into my leg.... tripped while walking with the saw.

I took those spikes off and put normal ones after that. They were too big.

Passenger's seat in my truck at work is pretty torn up from parking the saw there. I don't do that often but it doesn't take much. Also, I've lost bar oil a few times from the way stuff rolls around in the boxes. Seems to me oil jugs are especially good at finding dawgs. Perhaps this is a new kind of metal detector.

Back