What I got going today....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS

Cowshot
Reaction score
attachment.php

Tree removal guys left me some elm. Biggest was about 30''. I'm thinking about a cord when i'm done. Can't haul much on my old truck because I only got crap retreads on it, but i'm only hauling it a mile or so...I don't mind small loads.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was the crew. Deere 55v, 500 partner, p41 pioneer.:cheers:

Good looking haul and nice tools to work with.

How's that stuff to split?

Always nice when the wood is close to home.:cheers:

Thanks. The stuff is pretty nasty to split, I would never attempt it with an axe, especially since this has a lot of crotch pieces. Burns well though.

And it's free !!! Nice way to spend a saturday playing with the saws.

Good looking haul and nice tools to work with.

How's that stuff to split?

.:cheers:

Reminds me of a firewood chart I saw once

Under the column "ease of splitting"; most types of wood were labelled: easy, medium, or difficult.

The elm said: 'doesn't'

Tree removal guys left me some elm. Biggest was about 30''. I'm thinking about a cord when i'm done. Can't haul much on my old truck because I only got crap retreads on it, but i'm only hauling it a mile or so...I don't mind small loads.

Did you just call me a retread somewhere in that post?:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice haul as long as you've got a splitter. Way to find the free heat. A C

attachment.php

This is what I ended up with, all the rounds you can see waiting for the splitter. Gotta be a cord there ???

Lot of odd shapes and shorts, but it all feels the same when it's in the stove. Will elm keep for two years? I don't know if I need it for next year or not, I'm that far ahead. These guys keep bringing me free wood, so...

Got about a cord of pine to block too. Not fussy on burning pine but good for the shoulder season i suppose.

Last edited:
That's well over a cord there, Daddy. Cut it, hook it, split it, stack it and call it honest work then enjoy a beer looking at the stack. Pretty much how I roll.:cheers:

Elm will keep just fine 2 years or more. Like any other wood, keep it up off the ground for best results.

I think I have some out back going into year 3.

Over half of this year's wood is elm. Good heat and burn times, it's not quite oak, but it's close enough for me, and thanks to DED - it's VERY available around here.

Sweet, Free wood. Nice haul and really nice saws too. You don't see many saws like that around here. Would like to run one sometime. Good lookin saws.
Thanks,SS. If you want to come to Canada for a vacation, I'll let you run all my junk anytime.
:rock:

That's well over a cord there, Daddy. Cut it, hook it, split it, stack it and call it honest work then enjoy a beer looking at the stack. Pretty much how I roll.:cheers:
Thanks man, thats pretty much how it went yesterday.

Elm will keep just fine 2 years or more. Like any other wood, keep it up off the ground for best results.

I think I have some out back going into year 3.

Over half of this year's wood is elm. Good heat and burn times, it's not quite oak, but it's close enough for me, and thanks to DED - it's VERY available around here.

I figured it would keep. A few years back, i burnt almost all elm. They are getting scarce here though. This was an urban tree that had to come down for some reason. The bark was really loose and it was polluted with bugs under it. Tried to leave all that mess behind.

:givebeer:

Got another load today, more elm...

attachment.php

attachment.php

If it ever stops raining I got another noodle appointment. Man ,I love free heat.:chainsaw:

Great wood! I burn alot of it. Like Steve said there is plenty around my stomping grounds as well because of DED.

Making some progress in the mud...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gotta take a dozer and flip those big un's so I can finish the cut. I hate mud.

Elm

That is a beautiful pile of wood. Elm is one of my favorites to cut and burn.
Congratulations on that find.

If a piece is too big for me to lift up onto the splitter I noodle them.

Nosmo

That is a beautiful pile of wood. Elm is one of my favorites to cut and burn.
Congratulations on that find.

If a piece is too big for me to lift up onto the splitter I noodle them.

Nosmo

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of noodling lately. This is the second pile of elm I got. It burns really well, good heat. The bark comes off this stuff in sheets, I wonder if this is due to dutch elm disease ??

Jesus, Chris!

That's some muddy workin' you've got going. Is there any reason you could'nt have left those big logs for another (drier) day?

Just asking, really. For me, there are few chances that I get - so when I get the chance, I 'get to it'. So I understand if you have to work in the mud - but it still suhhhhcks.

TB

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of noodling lately. This is the second pile of elm I got. It burns really well, good heat. The bark comes off this stuff in sheets, I wonder if this is due to dutch elm disease ??

I don't know if it is the Dutch Elm disease causing that bark to fall off like it does. If one of them around here dies and is left alone for a year or so the bark begins to fall off of it while the tree is still standing.

Nosmo

Back